Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Recommend a good programming forum

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Recommend a good programming forum
torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I'm leaving this forum, does anyone have experience with a good programming forum and would like to recommend it?

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

What happened?

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

This forum happened. It's not worth it anymore.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Did it log you out during post composition? :P

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Forums are outdated, just use stackoverflow for actual programming questions and then twitter and co. for the rest.

(Also, just out of curiosity, what specifically do you think is wrong with allegro.cc? It's not been updated for about as long as forums have been out of style - but it still seems to be the best as far as forum software is concerned.)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I'd say the best as far as forums are concerned :P
& it's the only one I still use..

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

In this world you will be disappointed everywhere and in every forum. People are intelligent here, maybe it is because of the lack of womans.

Probably you want to go for your own offenses. 8-)

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Are you campaigning against this forum now?

I don't think you can expect everybody to magically stop posting here, transfer to a new forum at the same time, and everything will be rainbows and unicorns on the new site. For that you'd need some consensus. If your campaign has any effect at all, then most likely you'll end up with two fully dead forums instead of one half-dead forum.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

What's the matter? ???

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

What is wrong with good old & jolly Allegro.cc ???

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

torhu said:

I'm leaving this forum, does anyone have experience with a good programming forum and would like to recommend it?

Would you like to start a new one with me? 8-)

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Programming using what, exactly?

Personally, I use PHP/MySQL + Web at home and C#/MSSQL + Web at work and find StackOverflow beats out any forum. The forums that I do go to have almost no sense of actual community and are centralized around specific libraries/concepts and don't branch out much beyond that.

If you're using C/C++ and Allegro, I would strongly recommend the Allegro.cc Game Developing Community ;)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

If one has enough from Allegro.cc he can simply not visit it some time. Why are some people so knotted? It's complete freedom here.

I have seen some people leaving, sure they will regret it from time to time.

And Matt is doing a good job. Since i am here i can't remember anything he did wrong. 8-)

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

/me looks at site title... "allegro.cc - game developing community network".

So... it does not say "game developing community network restricted to use of the Allegro library, all deviants will be shot".

It might bring some fresh air to open up to other libraries. I don't see a reason the community itself can't still be called "allegro.cc".

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

I don't recall anything being "shot" here.
However I highly recommend allegro for games ( and other programs using 2D graphics)
Especially if you want to have a Linux version as well

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

No one really left this forum. They got shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

Yeah, took an absence once -- got shot.

Took an absence then again -- got shot again.

One would think I should've learned my lesson.

Back on topic: I don't know if gamedev.net is still active, didn't happen and is still worth it, but you could give it a shot.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

@Indeterminatus: Let's hope you've learned your lesson finally. >:(

{"name":"Gun_2bbfb0_518174.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/7\/d750ec629cf46018824667414956f3b3.gif","w":320,"h":229,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/7\/d750ec629cf46018824667414956f3b3"}Gun_2bbfb0_518174.gif

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

Now that we are on the forum topic... Matthew, you designed this forum from scratch or you based the design on something else?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

{"name":"609908","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/810cf550ed80b2370aaa1ba84ba87d76.gif","w":498,"h":279,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/810cf550ed80b2370aaa1ba84ba87d76"}609908

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

One would think I should've learned my lesson.

\(:/ \o/ \:)/

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

Dennis \o/

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

TIGsource?

Not sure about the programming topics but I do like paging through the devlogs from time to time.
Pete

Go to: