Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Game freezing, not working on Windows 10

Credits go to SiegeLord and Thomas Fjellstrom for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Game freezing, not working on Windows 10
Saurabh Shirodkar
Member #16,088
September 2015

So, I am a beginner in programming in Allegro 5, and programming in general, & I was supposed to make a quiz game for an event. I made a basic template quiz game with some questions, which I have attached. I made it using CodeBlocks on Windows 7, and I linked the libraries statically, following the procedure mentioned in this article: https://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Windows,_Code::Blocks_and_Allegro_5#Static_Link

This runs on my other Windows 7 laptop without any problem, however, when I ran it on a friend's Windows 10 laptop, it froze the laptop, and the keyboard input wouldn't do anything. I tried to run it 5 times, and I got the same response. I need help getting the game to work on Windows 10, otherwise I can't use it. Please help me.

I would also like those of you who have Windows 10, to kindly try and run the game and tell me what happens. Thank you :)

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Hmm, it seems to work fine for my Win10 VM. What Allegro version are you using?

Also, the Direct3D backend appears to be a bit flaky on Win10, so perhaps trying OpenGL backend might help. This can be done either in the code via al_set_new_display_flags or by placing a configuration file next to your executable with these contents:

[graphics]
driver = opengl

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Also try making sure your video drivers are up to date. Old (non win10, or pre-release) drivers on Win10 I hear are flaky.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Saurabh Shirodkar
Member #16,088
September 2015

Turns out her drivers were not up to date, it works without any problem on Windows 10 now. I also set the OpenGL display flag as you said, though I am not feeling any difference. Thanks guys! :)

Go to: