Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » MSVS Community 2015 / Win 10

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
MSVS Community 2015 / Win 10
KeithS
Member #11,950
May 2010

Hi, long time. Trying some Windows stuff, need assistance.

Couldn't post on a similar thread that was locked in this section, so here's the question;

Somewhere in here would be the Allegro 5 binaries I need, I should think the unstable 5.1.11 for 64 bit, right?

Does anyone have any issues on Windows 10, using MS VC++ 2015 Community, or am I alright with this?

Thanks!

My Noobish Blog

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

A better place to download things these days is at http://download.gna.org/allegro/.

That said, we don't have VS2015 binaries just yet (and the VS2013 binaries don't work with VS2015). When 5.1.12 is released, it'll most likely have VS2015 binaries as well. The timeline for this is within the next week or two.

If you're willing to spend a little bit of effort, you can use the scripts I use to compile Allegro and it's dependencies. It's pretty easy and it's been reported that it seems to work OK for VS2015.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

ZenRowe
Member #16,081
September 2015

I made an attempt to do as SiegeLord has suggested however I did run into the following error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\um\urlmon.h(7876): error C2504: 'IZoneIdentifier': base class undefined [C:\universal\build_msvc_64\allegro\allegro.vcxproj]

I have not been able to find a workaround

However I was able to successfully compile 5.0.10 in vs2015 ( toolchain v140) (after a bit of poking at things and breaking SiegeLords scripts just trying to figure out what a "toolchain" was) however I did have to make one edit to a piece of code in the allegro5 source

IF you get this error when trying to compile

\allegro\src\file_stdio.c(315): error C2065: 'PATH_MAX' : undeclared identifier

I was able to get past this error by going to the file_stdio.h file and changing the PATH_MAX on line 315 to MAX_PATH

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

The scripts/sources are here, by the way: https://github.com/SiegeLord/allegro_winpkg

The precise modifications suggested by Arvidsson were as follows:

- Change the generator to "Visual Studio 14 2015"
- Change the toolchain to "v140"

Everything worked just fine for him with that setup.

Once I get around to doing this myself I'll get everything sorted out, so the above is the best I have for now.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

KeithS
Member #11,950
May 2010

Thanks for all the info! I think I will hold on for the binaries. Used to do all that compiling of Allegro5 in Linux, but it has been a while and I am starting afresh, and on Windows to boot, so to speak.

My Noobish Blog

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

By the way, I just tried SiegeLord's scripts with VS 2015, just following the instructions with those two small changes; and it seemed to work fine.

ie. The script reported success and all the binaries appear to have been built. I haven't actually successfully used them yet, because I'm still building other libraries that my project needs.

-----------

Go to: