Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » AVG now sells your history

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
AVG now sells your history
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm sure that all of them do... :-/ The only solution is to run an OS that doesn't require anti-virus software to remain clean... :-X

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

The only solution is to run an OS that doesn't require anti-virus software to remain clean...

Except that if everyone switched to Linux, all the folks who write viruses and exploits will simply switch to Linux as well. Most people who run Linux now would probably be ok, as they're likely to be computer savvy, and those same people would be probably be fine on Windows too. the other 95% of the population will be doomed, no matter what OS they choose.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

bamccaig said:

The only solution is to run an OS that doesn't require anti-virus software to remain clean...

Too bad most viruses are only possible due to user negligence... For a consumer, unless you disallow installation of any software and have no permanent storage, there will be many who end up simply click Yes/Accept/Install/OK and then complain later. This is why you don't see friends/family/coworkers complaining about their bog-standard kitchen table getting a computer virus, or even more comparably their much wow 7 year old high definition TV, but their devices (tablets, PCs, phones) do.

Indeed, there are JavaScript/Java/Flash exploits, perhaps even system software exploits, but browser-based exploits are mitigated simply by careful whitelisting of JavaScript (and also not having Java/Flash as plug-ins). Similarly, there isn't a solid portfolio of Windows exploits that bypass UAC to obtain admin privileges without some major user interaction, even they get fixed relatively quickly. As LennyLen pointed out, the same type of exploits would be abused on Linux, since no software is bug-free.

Disclosure: I have real-time antivirus software disabled on a relatively up to date Windows 7 box. I also have no malware.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

There's still people believing anti-virus software (any of them) is anything but a scam? I'm with Aaron here, just don't run any anti-virus. You won't be any less or more secure than before.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Elias said:

I'm with Aaron here, just don't run any anti-virus. You won't be any less or more secure than before.

Ageed. I haven't used any for a long, long, time. If I'm ever unsure about the source of anything I'm downloading, I download it in a VM and do a malware scan afterwards. That and a healthy dose of common sense (You don't win competitions you don't enter!!!) have kept me pretty safe.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Anti-virus software is so SLOW these days! It's terrible!

Years ago, I didn't have AV, and then I got a virus and had to do an impromptu reformat which was annoying. But I've caught a total of 0 viruses in the last ~4-5 years so maybe it's time to stop again. It's nice to have a virus scanner (as opposed to a 24/7 "guard") to scan stuff you download that is sketchy.

I just did a reformat (*), so I'm probably just going to leave it off and see how I go.

*Windows literally stopped being able to use WiFi... at all. Not hardware, but the entire WLAN service (and interrelated services) was corrupted and dead.

[edit] I might try ClamWin (Portable!). They have relatively poor "hit rates" but they're open source, free, and has a portable version.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Bastardos. A luck I don't have AVG anymore since I pulled Windows to the bin.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I almost switched fully to Linux this time! But my work requires Windows. My work laptop is Windows 8 (and Cisco VPN does not work on 8), so I needed Windows 7.

I actually love Ubuntu + Unity on my Chromebook. I'm switching virtual desktops like some sort of genius. People watch me go back and forth and think I'm Data from Star Trek. I don't know how well it will work on a full desktop with a 40" screen, but a small netbook works great.

Also, I love having my 40" screen (it's a budget bin one at 1080p, I'm no rich guy). I recently started using VMWare Player + old video games. VMWare can attach specific hardware (keyboard/mouse) to the VM so I can run Diablo 2 on my computer + Diablo 2 on a VM, for split-screen networked gaming with my wife. It's really fun!

-----sig:

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I don't have AVG anymore since I pulled Windows to the bin.

I put Windows in /bin as well, until I realized that even Wine is superfluous.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's true that Linux (or even GNU/Linux) cannot single-handedly protect negligent users from themselves. However, reliable, secure systems help a lot, as well as well designed interfaces. This is what makes Windows 7+ so much more resilient, even without anti-virus software. On Windows XP it was and is a requirement to have anti-virus software. Merely connecting one to the Internet without installing them was risky. That's not user error. That's bad software.

One of the things that I really like about Linux is that at least at the command-line file extensions are meaningless. To be executable the file needs a mode bit set or else you need to invoke an interpreter to execute it. Even from the GUI this tends to be the case. File extensions are relied less upon, and typically before a program is run from a naive double-click the user is prompted: do you want to "display" the file or execute it? Not all graphical interfaces are created so wisely. I have no doubts that Unity doesn't work this way since they're trying to appeal to stupid users and shady money making schemes. I cannot hate on Ubuntu enough.

There's nothing stopping you from developing an insecure GNU-based, Linux-based, anything-free-software-based OS. However, the very smart people that are typically involved in developing the truly free software OSes have safety in mind. They're also very security conscious and constantly release security fixes. It's a completely different ecosystem than Windows or OS X. It's not invincible, but it's a lot safer than the proprietary alternatives. Even in the hands of a naive luser.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

The article states its policy has been changed so it could sell the information, not does. It will be able to sell on or after October 15. On a slightly related topic; When compiling a Winsock demo with Visual Studio C++ 2008, Avast tells me the program has a virus and deletes the executable. When compiled on Code::Blocks the program runs fine.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Bob Keane said:

The article states its policy has been changed so it could sell the information, not does.

Nobody gets lawyers to change their corporate policy just so they can not use it.

-----sig:

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Nobody gets lawyers to change their corporate policy just so they can not use it.

Point taken, but the article says they had wording in the policy prior that states they could do something similar. Have they? I will concede they may in the future.

Bamccaig said:

That's interesting

I'd say fun. It probably is Avast's fault, but it causes problems for hobby programmers writing network games. I sent a false positive report but don't expect an answer.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The most valuable asset they have is the data they collect. They shouldn't be collecting the data at all except for purposes of identifying malware, and only in cases where users request it. Beyond that it should be shredded. Ethically speaking, that is. For profit, it makes sense to capture and hold onto any data they're allowed to by law because there will be buyers. When they sell, which might be what they're getting ready to do, they will get the most money for the data they collect. The code will be bit-rotten, and honestly it hasn't been working well for years anyway. Or if the market allows they can just hold onto the company and sell the data continuously while capturing it by keeping their products going. Either way, it's unethical, but it's the way the software industry goes under Microsoft and Apple "apologists". If you're willing to tolerate that kind of thing then it will take over the industry, and it has. And most people couldn't care less because they can't understand what it means. Honestly even so called professions in the IT industry jump on the latest and greatest proprietary wares without questioning the intrusive terms of use. I just shake my head. Forever live the teachings of Richard Stallman!

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Bamccaig said:

Apple "apologists"

Don't you mean "appligists"?

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

{"name":"609742.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/0\/c0ceeff283e04c712724b9bf35b4b667.jpg","w":540,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/0\/c0ceeff283e04c712724b9bf35b4b667"}609742.jpg

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

♥ RMS :)

Although that's a rather bad photoshop, if you look at pictures of RMS as much as I do you immediately see the completely different body shape of the guy they pasted his head on.

--

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Well, you can pretty much SEE that the head is pasted, regardless of the body.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

She better watch out or Stallman will use his katana to break him off a piece of that. ;D

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Running antivirus in Windows actually may make you more insecure as it's an easy way for malware to get executed: http://googleprojectzero.blogspot.de/2015/09/kaspersky-mo-unpackers-mo-problems.html

--

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Elias said:

Running antivirus in Windows actually may make you more insecure as it's an easy way for malware to get executed

FTFY

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've been playing Another World for Sega Genesis on a windows genesis emulator running on wine on ubuntu. I'm really impressed with wine.

-----sig:

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

furinkan said:

FTFY

Is it just me or when a "joke" is repeated over and over and over and over ad nauseum it actually can become extremely irritating to read/hear/witness it...

Because this is one of those times. It may have been chuckle-funny the first time I witnessed the joke, but pretty sure by now I've seen many thousands of iterations that are no better.

I guess if I wanted to read though-provoking piece of text, I wouldn't be browsing this thread, but can't I dream?

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

1   2 

Go to: