Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » XInput2.2 - why is it not finding it, etc? jump to last read post - THE ANSWER

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
XInput2.2 - why is it not finding it, etc? jump to last read post - THE ANSWER
Jesse Gordon
Member #15,502
February 2014

I tried to reply to my own post on the topic but my browser wasn't compatible with this website I guess and it would not give me any place to type a reply...!

So here's the story.

Allegro 5.1.11 (and some earlier versions) simply checked for XInput2 2.2 during configure by trying to compile a sample program that used XI_TouchBegin. If that sample program failed then it gave the error that X11 required XInput2 2.2.

By way of background, XInput2 2.2 is required when you need touch screen functionality or something like that. XInput is a library that is (as I understand it) directly tied to the version of xwindows you have. In order to upgrade your XInput version, you'd have to upgrade all of X11, which could be quite a task.

I'm using slackware 13.37 (released 2011) and it had an older version of X11 which does not support the touch extensions in the modern XInput2 2.2, which prevented me from building Allegro, even though I don't need touch extensions.

The amazing SiegeLord has now fixed the latest version (5.1.12 or later, may have to get from git if it's not in the zip list yet) so that the configure process checks for XInput2 2.2 and if it's not found it simply issues a warning and disables touch screen support, or something like that, which allows Allegro to still compile and work on an older system -- just without touch support.

So if you are trying to compile Allegro older than 5.1.12 on a system without XInput2 2.2, then just get 5.1.12 or later and that should solve the problem.

Thanks!

~Jesse

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I tried to reply to my own post on the topic but my browser wasn't compatible with this website I guess and it would not give me any place to type a reply...!

You're not allowed to reply/post twice in a row. you have to edit one of your previous posts, or wait for someone to post.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

You're not allowed to reply/post twice in a row. you have to edit one of your previous posts, or wait for someone to post.

Although in this case, the post was over a week old and was closed automatically anyway.

Go to: