Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Cheap wifi that doesn't break?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Cheap wifi that doesn't break?
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I keep buying numerous USB Wifi thumbdrives from eBay. They keep breaking over and over.

You might think it's my computer, but we're talking:
1) My motherboard USB.
2) External motherboard USB via daughtercard.
3) External USB hub.
4) My netbook.

They keep dying over and over because they overheat.

I've used multiple of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300Mbps-Mini-Wireless-USB-Wifi-Adapter-LAN-Antenna-Network-Adapter-802-11n-g-b-/300992969685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4614943bd5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/802-11n-g-b-150Mbps-Mini-USB-WiFi-Wireless-Adapter-Network-LAN-Card-w-Antenna-/200755616792?hash=item2ebdf79c18

And more I can't remember at the moment. Does anyone have any ones they have good experience with?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Is this for a desktop or laptop?

If it's for a desktop, then I can suggest this: http://amzn.com/B0079XWMEI

I've used it in three builds over the years and haven't had to replace it.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I believe that I've had this one in near constant use since early 2013: TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless N150 High Gain USB Adapter. (It's in my computer downstairs and I can't be bothered to verify if its the same model number, but it looks just like that.)

I believe it came with an extension cable, but I found that I had regular connection problems with that and instead just stick it straight into the USB socket. Which of course can make for an awkward setup. Fortunately the cabinet in my desk that I keep my desktop machine in is deep enough that it doesn't matter.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

You get what you pay for, I rarely find that buying cheap, crappy electronics saves me time/money in the long run especially if I have to replace it. I've been using an Edimax lately (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BVRQEKG) and for $30 I'm very impressed with both its 2.4 and 5GHz band performance.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I've had one of these since I was in NZ (so at least 4 1/2 years ago), and it still works perfectly. I've never had a single issue with it, unless you count that it comes with one of those tiny CDs that are so easy to lose (yay for online drivers).

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Quote:

I've had one of these [www.scorptec.com.au] since I was in NZ

Hey, that's the same thing I linked to. :)

And now that I'm on my desktop, I can confirm that yes, that is the model that I have here.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I've been using one of these for three or four years now, and the only Linux distro I have that doesn't find it upon install is Debian (Slackware and Linux Mint find it automagically now). I think Debian would find it if you do the online install by hooking up an ethernet cable to access the repositories when installing.

I have a USB extension cable about two feet long to get it away from the computer and all the wires that would interfere with reception, hanging it off one of the braces on the folding table I use for a computer desk.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I think I'd like to try one of these. Anyone have experience with them?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Go to: