Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What do you do with finished entries ?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
What do you do with finished entries ?
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

When you have joined a few hacks, you end up being able to finish your entries.

Then...

What do you do with finished entries ?

Do you share them along a website ?

If they are allegro based entries, do you add them to the depot too ?

Do you pack them inside an installer ? Can you mention some good and free or cheap install making software ?

Personally I just pack them with the sources and needed resources and put them in a zip in my hdds.

I intend to start providing some installers to install my projects, with in sight mainly family sharing of tools and games ;-) .
I only maintained a few things on the depot and on http://members.allegro.cc/GullRaDriel/ . I have bought a name for my site and I already have a vm behind it but no pages yet. Your turn !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

What do you do with finished entries?
What do you do with finished entries?
What do you do with finished entries,
Early in the morning?

Put 'em on a website and watch the downloads,
Early in the morning.

What do you do with aborted entries?
What do you do with aborted entries?
What do you do with aborted entries,
Early in the morning?

Put 'em on YouTube till they get finished,
Early in the morning.

I would love to put together a portfolio of everything I've ever done (that I can find), port old things into a format where they run on today's computers, host it all on a website, showcase it on YouTube, maybe even blog about it, and whatever else I can think of. I'm fortunate enough not to need to look for employment, but might enjoy having a bit of a fan following. However, it all takes time which I don't have (perhaps because I'm fortunate enough not to need to look for employment), so if I ever want to show my games to someone, I point them to the announcement threads - and in many cases, I actually can't do it, either because a zip is too technical for people to handle, or because they use 256-colour modes in Allegro 4 which are broken on recent versions of Windows, or they don't even run because they were built for DOS.

Of course, my current focus is my YouTube channel. Even that, I'm struggling to find time for! I'm gradually preparing an orchestral piece using EastWest Hollywood Orchestra and Presonus Studio One v3, but it's extremely time-consuming and the jury's out on whether it will sound good enough. But at least there are no commitments at specific times as there would be if I tried to recruit a real orchestra for it ;) </derail>

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

If I like it, I'll put it on my website. If I don't, or I have other plans for it I'll keep it to myself (I especially like keeping the binaries, since getting old code to compile can be tricky especially if use rapidly changing languages like D and Rust). Either way, I sometimes put the sources up on github.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

might enjoy having a bit of a fan following

Quote:

vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

This thread has expressed its sincere wish to be peppered with a quotation from the bible. :P

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Neither Siegelord or Bruce mentionned the Depot.

Why don't you put anything in the Depot ?

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

I publish them on my website. And sometimes also on the Depot. I haven't been very consistent with this though.

Do you pack them inside an installer ? Can you mention some good and free or cheap install making software ?

I use innosetup, which is free and does the job. It's windows only unfortunately. If you want to see an example, check the installer I made for BUN (Scroll to the bottom).

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Thanks for the helpfull answer.

I'll give it a shot :-)

And maybe add some to the depot.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I stick mine on my website, create YouTube videos, and were I to do one today I'd also post all the code on BitBucket. I haven't done a hack in 7 years though now -- yikes! :o

For installers, I've always used the Nullsoft installer, with a template it's pretty simple to use. Not sure how maintained that is, might look all Windows XP style now.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Some of my oldest Allegro games are indeed on the Depot - I would indeed put the newer ones there if I had time :)

Quote:

vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

We make God out to be ridiculously vain by the way. [EDIT: For the lazy, I looked it up and the context seems to be along the lines of someone thinks vanity is pointless and we should focus on God.]

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Is the Depot still being maintained? I don't put stuff there out of fear it would take days before something gets reviewed.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I don't submit my entries to the Depot as I think they are not worthy of submission :P.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Bruce said:

I would indeed put the newer ones there if I had time :)

Ho, dear, you'd have the time to create at least 1 depot entries while reading my answer.
Time is not an excuse for something that take less than a minute to create and upload.

SiegeLord: honest. I don't put that much in the depot for the same reason, except that my programs surely sucks more than yours ;-)

Elias: The Depot need 'someone' to approve new entries, and IIRC there were some asking for it some weeks ago.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

You know that 'time' is a metaphor for 'energy' and 'focus' sometimes, don't you?

I go on here during breaks in my work. Creating Depot entries properly requires attention and dedication. Posting on here just requires us to be a bit goofy ;D

--
The brxybrytl has you.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Bruce said:

Posting on here just requires us to be a bit goofy ;D

;D

Go to: