Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » New toy time again

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
New toy time again
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I finally jumped on the 4K bandwagon and bought an entry-level UHD monitor.

So far I've used it to play The Witcher 3 and Path of Exile, and the extra detail level is very noticeable. It takes a bit of getting used to using it with windowed applications as everything is so tiny (If I use Windows built-in scaling to increase the size on this monitor, then everything on my 1920x1080 monitor is too big to be useful). I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm going to look into 3rd party apps that can upscale text and icons on a per-monitor basis.

A.cc now looks like this:

{"name":"609513","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a2d129926a351925fc29e0ccaead262.png","w":3840,"h":2130,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a2d129926a351925fc29e0ccaead262"}609513

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

LennyLen said:

and the extra detail level is very noticeable.

I've been saying that all along! 8-)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Nice, how many GPU's for the Witcher 3? I presume full details, no less ;)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

OICW said:

Nice, how many GPU's for the Witcher 3? I presume full details, no less

Currently, I'm running on one of these which handles the game at 4K pretty decently, with a few small hiccups every once and a while.

I'm now thinking about upgrading to a 980 ti since they've dropped in price quite a bit recently.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

$730?! Good Gosh! It better come with a leather bound book for that price!

I tend to spend <$200 on a videocard. My last one has lasted 3 years so far. (GeForce 560 SE)

I'm going to have to upgrade to play the new Doom, Fallout 4, and play around with 4K stuff but 99% of non-bleeding-edge games run fine, like Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed.

Meanwhile, I've had my CPU (Athlon X4 630) for 5 years! It's only now getting slightly too slow for modern games like ARK (meanwhile, my GPU cannot run ARK at all).

I got an SSD awhile back and that was my biggest night-and-day upgrade. It felt like I upgraded my entire rig just by putting my OS and a couple important apps on the SSD.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Do you use Linux on it at all? I was thinking of getting a 4K monitor, but I'm afraid everything will look tiny (which from what I understand is exactly your experience on Windows so far?).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

It's pretty pathetic how many assumptions software developers make these days.

- One sound card @ 48 KHz (Sonic All-Star racing transformed, a AAA title, crashes on any other setting)
- one video card
- one monitor
- a specific size and/or DPI monitor. No 4k. No dual/quad 1080p monitors. Only one aspect ratio.
- RGB ordering of subpixels. Also that there are subpixels.
- one mouse.
- One QWERTY keyboard.
- An operator with no disabilites that will prevent them from using the software/games chosen button layout.
- no high contrast or dark themes.
- Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 controller is the only joystick.
- 32-bit color.
- Bonus hatred for 30 FPS framelocked 720p console to PC game ports, as well as "no mouse support" in them.

-----sig:

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

$730?! Good Gosh!

This is the Australian price. You can probably get it a bit cheaper in North America.

SiegeLord said:

Do you use Linux on it at all?

I haven't yet, but then again when I use linux, I run it in a VM, so it would be constrained to just one monitor.

From what I've read, the problem I'm having with running two same-size monitors at very different resolutions is workable on linux as there are tools for running both monitors with different scaling factors. Windows 8.1 apparently can do this as well, so maybe now I have a reason to upgrade from Windows 7 (though I am considering just buying a 2nd 4K monitor).

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

LennyLen said:

Windows 8.1 apparently can do this as well, so maybe now I have a reason to upgrade from Windows 7 (though I am considering just buying a 2nd 4K monitor).

If you're gonna go 8.1, why not just go 10? It's basically 8.2.

-----sig:

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

If you're gonna go 8.1, why not just go 10? It's basically 8.2.

I'd prefer to wait until they've ironed out any bugs.

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

Re: High Resolution displays: I recently found out that Windows 10 supports 768x768 icons, so it looks like they're really designing for high-res displays and scaling this time.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

LennyLen said:

when I use linux, I run it in a VM

{"name":"63271054.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/6\/56b15ce8f059668c643cf99142a4824f.jpg","w":430,"h":538,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/6\/56b15ce8f059668c643cf99142a4824f"}63271054.jpg

Haha, that would probably read better as Windows in a VM, but whatever. :)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Re: High Resolution displays: I recently found out that Windows 10 supports 768x768 icons, so it looks like they're really designing for high-res displays and scaling this time.

Wow. Although, I'm really blown away they haven't moved to SVG / vector icons.

Look at the god-aweful icons that came with Windows 10 tech-preview. They only changed them after people screamed at Microsoft.

{"name":"dfb9a7da_20150206_105955_829.jpeg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/1\/312ddd2bbf47b4103fbe0ce973e0e251.jpg","w":600,"h":450,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/1\/312ddd2bbf47b4103fbe0ce973e0e251"}dfb9a7da_20150206_105955_829.jpeg

-----sig:

Bruce Pascoe
Member #15,931
April 2015

Hey, I like those! The Computer icon is admittedly a bit tacky, but the rest are nice, especially that Recycle Bin icon. Certainly better than the awful redesign Apple forced on everyone with iOS 7.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

LennyLen said:

This is the Australian price. You can probably get it a bit cheaper in North America.

Most likely you can, it's also important to make sure you're both talking USD, as Australia uses AUD..

Go to: