Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Native Dialog Menu Problems

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Native Dialog Menu Problems
Todd Cope
Member #998
November 2000

I came across some issues when working with the native dialog menu functions. The main issue is the menus simply don't work on OS X. I made a sample program that demonstrates the issue:

#SelectExpand
1#include <allegro5/allegro5.h> 2#include <allegro5/allegro_native_dialog.h> 3 4int main(int argc, char * argv[]) 5{ 6 ALLEGRO_DISPLAY * display; 7 ALLEGRO_MENU * test_menu; 8 9 if(!al_init()) 10 { 11 return -1; 12 } 13 if(!al_init_native_dialog_addon()) 14 { 15 return -1; 16 } 17 display = al_create_display(640, 480); 18 if(!display) 19 { 20 return -1; 21 } 22 test_menu = al_create_menu(); 23 if(!test_menu) 24 { 25 return -1; 26 } 27 al_append_menu_item(test_menu, "Item 1", 1, 0, NULL, NULL); 28 al_append_menu_item(test_menu, "Item 2", 2, 0, NULL, NULL); 29 al_append_menu_item(test_menu, "Item 3", 3, 0, NULL, NULL); 30 al_append_menu_item(test_menu, "Item 4", 4, 0, NULL, NULL); 31 al_append_menu_item(test_menu, "Item 5", 5, 0, NULL, NULL); 32 al_append_menu_item(test_menu, "Item 6", 6, 0, NULL, NULL); 33 if(!al_set_display_menu(display, test_menu)) 34 { 35 return -1; 36 } 37 al_rest(1.0); 38 return 0; 39}

The program crashes at the al_set_display_menu call. Creating a popup menu works somewhat, though it doesn't show child menus.

Some work was done on it fairly recently (detailed here). I had hoped when I finally got back around to working on my programs that need the native menus, things would go smoothly.

I have a working implementation which I made a couple of years ago (see this thread). I am using that for now so I can continue making my programs.

The second issue is some confusion with the documentation. I have some menu items in my program that I need to be able to enable/disable by changing the flags for those particular items.

When using al_set_menu_item_flags(), I thought I needed to provide an index instead of an ID because of the parameter name. So I used al_find_menu_item() to locate my menu item. When I set my flags, the wrong menu items had their flags changed. After some fiddling, I figured out that I could just pass the ID, but I should have been able to figure that out from looking at the documentation for the al_set_menu_item_flags() function.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

This seems like a complicated topic, but I'll see if I can devote some time to it this week.

EDIT: Make that the next week... ;D.

EDIT2: So I looked into this. I think the patch is better than nothing, but it's unfortunate that you need to do a lot of housekeeping for these menus. I'll play around with this some more and then merge it.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Go to: