Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » What android version does allegro support?

Credits go to SiegeLord and Thomas Fjellstrom for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
What android version does allegro support?
ochi12
Member #15,909
March 2015

What's the minimum android version needed to run an allegro application? The github repo shows to different numbers on different branchs(android 3.3 on 5.1 and android 2.2 on another 5.1 branch)

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I believe the minimum is API level 12, which is Android 3.1.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

ochi12
Member #15,909
March 2015

but in another branch of the github repo(https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5/blob/5.1--gles-lock-bitmap-bb-proxy/README_android.txt) it says it works on android 2.2.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

The only branch that matters is 5.1 (and 5.0), the others are outdated. Naturally, Allegro used to require lower Android versions, since back then there were no newer Androids to support ;).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I originally did try to support 2.2 or 2.3, but it was a bit of a challenge, and there was little to no gain in doing so as the number of active android devices that are stuck on 2.2-2.3 is very low these days.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ochi12
Member #15,909
March 2015

oh, good to know, and I have another question(hopefully the last one xD), what opengl es version does allegro use by default on android? Because I've been reading the code and it seems like there's some fixed function pipeline in there, and allegro should support shaders. But there are no shaders in opengl es 1.0(which is the only gles version that supports fixed function pipeline)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It supports both 1.x and 2.x. I think it only requests ES2 if you request programmable mode, or the device itself doesn't do 1.x.

I think that you can use shaders with ES1 via extensions (I'm making an assumption based on my knowledge of opengl in general).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ochi12
Member #15,909
March 2015

thanks, I can't wait allegro 5.1 to come out. It seems to be very versatile when it comes to managing opengl versions across platforms!

Go to: