Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » using WOL to a ubuntu machine, from a ubuntu machine

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
using WOL to a ubuntu machine, from a ubuntu machine
William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Hi again,

back to trying get one of my machines to boot up from a command by a remote computer.

I've been following the advice on this page :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WakeOnLan

I don't know if it tells of everything I need : like if it's assuming certain obvious things I've already done but haven't.

Anyway, what I'd like someone to tell me is if there is a specific kind of shutdown I need to do to get this to work.

I need to do a 'soft-power-down' I think, but I'm not sure exactly how to do this. I'm running Ubuntu in text mode.

Thanks for any help.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

As long as you followed the directions, it should work. If however one of these steps didn't work, then WoL won't work.

You will want to not just pull the power when shutting down. Just make sure you do a regular power off, like what happens when you do a "poweroff" or "shutdown -h now" (or in the gui, tell it to shut down).

If the computer does NOT actually turn off (all fans need to stop spinning, and hardware needs to turn off), then WoL can not work, as the machine actually isn't off, so it can't turn it back on.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Thanks a lot Thomas :)

I have followed the instructions all the way down to where it says this :

Command-line tools

I found a more detailed page on this here http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL

and it seems to suggest that it won't work unless wakeonlan is also installed on the machine that is to be woken up.

I send the magic packet with this command :

sudo wakeonlan 00:13:d4:c5:41:ca

but since the fan of the PSU isn't turning and the monitor doesn't wake I conclude it hasn't worked.

This is same situation I got to before when I was trying to get it work.

(I had a setback when I discovered I'd forgotten the password to login to the remote machine so had to reinstall Linux on it.)

Any kind of advice would be appreciated.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

If none of the commands failed, it should be working. Just remember that you need to enable WoL on the machine you want to wake. and you need the correct mac address of the machine you want to wake.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I followed this part of the page :

Quote:

On most systems, issuing this command is required after each boot. If the system's networking is configured via ifupdown, then it is easy to add the line up ethtool -s <NIC> wol g below the interface's configuration stanza in /etc/network/interfaces. For example:

shahar@shahar-backup:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces

1. This file describes the network interfaces available on your system

2. and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

3. The loopback network interface

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

1. The primary network interface

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.0.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.0.0.138
up ethtool -s eth0 wol g

I wanted to make sure that wake-on was enabled after a reboot so I've rebooted
and ran

sudo ethtool eth0

..and the letter after Wake-on is indeed g so it looks like it's permanently
set to be on.

I got the MAC address from running

ifconfig

and using the hex number after HWaddr in the output of ifconfig, so I assume I'm using the right MAC address.

The way the computers are connected up is via an Ethernet switch plugged in my BT home hub (which I think is a router).

The remote machine with said MAC address and the main machine sending the magic packets are both plugged into the Ethernet switch.

You gotta believe me, it's not working after all that.

I guess if you were in this room with me, you'd be able to get it up and running but we're in a tougher situation that that as we always are when trying to solve things on allegro.cc

Any other ideas?

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Wol I'll be damned. Wrong thread.

Go to: