Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I'm on Spotify! :)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
I'm on Spotify! :)
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

https://play.spotify.com/artist/2QTw8xaFezQq8jqJtGas90 :D

Would be great to have some followers - but only if you're actually interested in my music of course :)

Previous thread: https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/615135

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I don't spotify :-/

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I don't Spotify yet.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I don't like your music.

;) I followed :o

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

That's what she said :o

I made an actual filmed video of me introducing myself, playing the piano a bit and otherwise acting bonkers, but it immediately got two dislikes so I took it down. I guess I won't be doing that again. Still, if you don't like my music, maybe you would have enjoyed watching me make a fool of myself.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I liked+followed you :P. I don't really understand why spotify requires you to log in to listen to things though...

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Yay :)

I think it's because they impose a limit on the amount of time you can spend listening per month if you're not paying them. That said, there is some mechanic whereby it accrues if you don't listen for a while, last I checked.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I made an actual filmed video of me introducing myself, playing the piano a bit and otherwise acting bonkers, but it immediately got two dislikes so I took it down. I guess I won't be doing that again. Still, if you don't like my music, maybe you would have enjoyed watching me make a fool of myself.

I've seen said video and I have to agree that it was "quirky", but I rather liked it. There is room for improvement, but with my experience publishing audio recordings of singing and rapping and video recording of automobiling and motorcycling (and "rapping") I have learned that it requires a lot of work to make things as perfect as the popular YouTubers do. I mean, it's practically a full time job for them. It is a painful, time consuming process, and I think that the failures are part of growing and developing. Censoring work just because it's "disliked" by some doesn't really benefit the world any regardless. It doesn't have to hurt you to get dislikes. You can learn from them and grow.

I've uploaded a lot of crappy videos, but I haven't gotten any dislikes that I can remember. For the most part boring is just so boring that nobody cares to express an opinion. I think that in some ways a dislike is better than nothing. On the one hand, it strongly implies that somebody didn't like it. It doesn't really mean more than that, but it's something. On the other hand, n views, 0 likes, 0 dislikes is rather disappointing. Views come accidentally. I'm not entirely sure at what point YouTube asserts that a video has been viewed, but my videos thus far tend to get views without likes or dislikes, and it leaves me disappointed. For all I know people watched 5 seconds of it thinking it was something else and immediately quit. The "views" mean little to me. Albeit, they're all I have so they mean something to me.

A like or a dislike says that somebody actually cared to express something. A comment is even better. It doesn't matter if it's positive or negative. Somebody cared enough to share their thoughts with more than a bit of data. That's huge. It rarely happens for me, and it's rarely practical, but I appreciate it all the same. Basically you have to be willing to accept the negative feedback if you want to get the positive. It's way more easy to be negative than positive, but the positive is worth so much more. At the end of the day, when it comes to doing something that you love you just have to do it regardless of what people think. YouTube is just a medium to freely host it, and to optionally (and hopefully) allow feedback on it. Their statistics are far from fool-proof. You may never know whose lives you have affected.

I often spend entire evenings on YouTube. I watch it like TV these days sometimes. Usually I am inspired by ideas that I am passionate about, but sometimes I just jump around looking for entertainment. Regardless, when it comes to shorter videos if I'm moving around a lot in a night I often forget to like or dislike videos that I care about. There is just such a wealth of information available on the Web that it's hard to remember to stop. You can quickly start an endless chain of videos that you don't have time to watch and to prioritize time you skip adding feedback to the videos that don't shine above the rest. And many YouTube videos are professional quality... It doesn't say too much about the videos that you don't have time to give feedback for. The competition is steep.

Art is not a science. There is no definition of right or wrong. It's art. You just do your best, hopefully enjoy doing it, and hope that other people can get as much joy from it as you do. If they don't you hope they care enough to give honest feedback to help you improve so that next time they will. Failure is a necessary step towards success. I think that it's healthy to not fear being caught failing.

We've already discussed this in private, but I think that if you're afraid of "tainting" your reputation with works that don't measure up to your standards then you should still publish them, but under a different name. YouTube allows this relatively easily. It's a pain to use, but I digress. They make it easily possible.

If other people don't like it, but you do, then let other people not like it. I don't think there is any well known artist that stepped on stage or published for the first time with acclamation. You can be talented or skilled or show promise without being polished. It takes real practice to really get good in that sense, I think. The way to do that is to publish what you've worked on and are satisfied with and let people judge for themselves. You'd be surprised what other people think sometimes. You may not think it's much, but you may be making their day. It happens, and it's worthwhile.

I'm not a fan of censorship either so I don't think there are really any ideas that cannot be said. Obviously bad ideas should be squashed by feedback, but if you think your idea is good then I don't think that you should ever suppress it. Pulling a video because of negative feedback is effectively censorship. That doesn't do anybody any favors. Bad ideas can be ignored. Good ideas that are silenced cannot be heard.

On that same note, I've noticed that certain "groups" on YouTube routinely disallow feedback (comments and/or thumbs) on their videos, which I find is usually the case when I'm inspired to leave negative feedback. That too doesn't help anything. It's only applicable to the OP in the sense that it shows that negative feedback is still valuable feedback. Censorship never wins. Let your ideas flow freely and people will freely move the better ideas to the top. Having a bad idea, or even expressing it poorly, doesn't have to reflect badly on you. It's an opportunity to learn from and do better.

Go to: