Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Job Change - Resume and Cover Letter Tips and Criticism

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Job Change - Resume and Cover Letter Tips and Criticism
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I am in need of new employment so I'm trying to work on my resume and draft up a cover letter (TODO).

I am having trouble with a manager at my current job and I don't see it changing. I have been with the company for 8 years and I've seen this "manager" develop into this monster. He will not work with me, and I cannot submit to his ridicule or incompetence. I'm planning to send an E-mail to the senior staff to inform them of my trouble in hopes that they can help to make work tolerable, at least until I can get applications out and hopefully get another offer. For all I know they're going to be uncooperative though and blame me for the problems so I am trying to prepare for the worst... I digress.

My situation is poor, but I'm not completely hopeless. I have a few dollars saved, but they won't last long. I have a motorcycle that I can sell, but that would only delay the inevitable... And I owe $11,000 for my new truck (to my dad) so if it came to it I'd be forced to sell that to pay him back and put myself back into the black. Which would leave me with no wheels so it's a sticky situation...

I have a resume drafted up, but I'm not very good at this so I'd appreciate criticism and tips. I feel like I should draft up a cover letter to give people an idea of who I am, and what my aspirations in life and my career are.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Just add this link to your resume and you'll be fine:
https://www.allegro.cc/members/bamccaig/forums

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

Okay, criticism ahead, hopefully constructive!

• 3 year -> 3 years

• I would not include the address of the companies where you worked, takes much space.

• Nicer font? (The typewriter one hurts my eyes.)

• I'd only include the bambams website (link did not work here with https btw.), because the other one seems to have a relatively empty news section.

• That "myt" thing on your projects page however sounds interesting, which is how I got to your GitHub account. That looks nice, why not link to this instead?

• Remove smartphone and netbook from Linux section. (Stallman ahead: It's not GNU+Linux, but GNU/Linux.)

• Drop "command shell usage", that's somewhat obvious.

• I'd drop the debating and writing sections, as they sound relatively negative. ("exploring uncomfortable truths", "trouble keeping it short")

• I'd also drop the part about 150 CDs and not purchasing lightly (is that somehow important for your job?), as well as "hopeless with musical instruments". (Again, sounds negative.)

• Just at the end, I saw the "objective" (didn't notice it at first). The objective does not say much IMO --- don't we all want the things that you write? Unless you have some really unique objective, I would not mention it.

• At a second glance, the order of your jobs somewhat confused me. It took me some time to realise that it is sorted by the date when you quit.

Good luck! :)

EDIT: I use LaTeX together with ModernCV to create my curriculum vitae. I think it looks quite nice: http://www.latextemplates.com/template/moderncv-cv-and-cover-letter

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Just add this link to your resume and you'll be fine:
https://www.allegro.cc/members/bamccaig/forums

I am not sure you are correct. :-/ Though I have been relatively inactive for the last few months and the archives are hard to find so maybe I would still be fine after all. :D

3 year -> 3 years

My concern here was that 3 years might not be clear that it was a 3 year diploma (maybe the person sucked in college?). :D In hindsight, maybe you are correct. If for nothing else consistency with the employment history..

I would not include the address of the companies where you worked, takes much space.

I thought that this was considered a necessary feature. Do people in North America agree that having company address is not needed?

Nicer font? (The typewriter one hurts my eyes.)

My girlfriend thought the same. :-/ I figured a programming crowd would appreciate monospace. My girlfriend suggested Ariel instead. ???

I'd only include the bambams website (link did not work here with https btw.), because the other one seems to have a relatively empty news section.

Good catch on the https. I meant to double check that it worked. It's hosted by Blogger.

Perhaps I should update the castopulence Web site instead with more a relevant news section [or hide it completely]? It is most certainly long outdated. So is the projects section for that matter, but then again you found the Myt project interesting (which never got off the ground anyway). I'm not sure what to do...

That "myt" thing on your projects page however sounds interesting, which is how I got to your GitHub account. That looks nice, why not link to this instead?

Remove smartphone and netbook from Linux section. (Stallman ahead: It's not GNU+Linux, but GNU/Linux.)

Fair calls. Although I know that I have seen GNU+Linux in various places. Stallman was responsible for both usages, I think. The + probably makes better sense. Linux is not another word for GNU, or visa-versa. The combination of the two (and others) forms most operating systems based on Linux. :) I don't imagine people would take offense to "GNU+Linux"? :-/

Drop "command shell usage", that's somewhat obvious.

Do you think so? I know that most people that I have worked with cannot use a command shell to safe their life. Whereas I am quite proficient with one and if a particular job requires its usage I think that might both suit me well and be useful to point out on my resume (odds are it won't be relevant for most local jobs though).

I'd drop the debating and writing sections, as they sound relatively negative. ("exploring uncomfortable truths", "trouble keeping it short")

I'd also drop the part about 150 CDs and not purchasing lightly (is that somehow important for your job?), as well as "hopeless with musical instruments". (Again, sounds negative.)

Noted. You are probably correct about those not making me look good. The CDs thing was meant to emphasize my interest in music. Do most people have that many CDs (and simultaneously like them from cover to cover)?

Just at the end, I saw the "objective" (didn't notice it at first). The objective does not say much IMO --- don't we all want the things that you write? Unless you have some really unique objective, I would not mention it.

I thought that an objective want another one of those "you should have one" things. I admit that I struggle to come up with a useful one. Is it really OK to have none at all? What about from the North American crowd?

At a second glance, the order of your jobs somewhat confused me. It took me some time to realise that it is sorted by the date when you quit.

I haven't actually quit either job. I thus far remain employed by the first, though they are the ones that I'm having trouble with and wish to leave. The second was a temporary contracting position which just ended as a result of lay offs due to market shifts (oil market collateral). I figured that I should put them in "most recent to least recent" order and though I technically started at the first long before the second the first never really ended (I was still an employee of them while working full time at the second). The second is probably a much more respectable place so I think it's good to have. I'm not sure if it would look bad though to have it listed first if it was terminated and not my most recent position.

Good luck! :)

Thank you! For the criticism and luck!

I use LaTeX together with ModernCV to create my curriculum vitae. I think it looks quite nice: http://www.latextemplates.com/template/moderncv-cv-and-cover-letter

Interesting. LaTex sounds like something that I would be quite interested in, but I haven't had the time to get familiar with it before. I'll try to find the time to experiment with both. I agree that does look quite "modern" and presentable.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

How you craft your resume also depends on what kind of job you are looking for. I made a portfolio and found it did me more good than my resume (which includes very little in terms of developer experience). The success rate of blindly applying to jobs online with a resume is about... like... 5%. While talking with people, meeting people, being more socially proactive, is much, much better.

Also, I primarily used social networking through tech meetups to find myself a job. It's a bit easier if you live in a bigger city.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Do HR people really care about "Personal Interests?" The only time I think they really matter is if you have a section called "Relevant Personal Interests" and it describes specific hobbies/etc that apply toward the position you're trying to get.

For example, "Owner of FPGA Club for 5 years" when you're trying to get a job relating to FPGAs.

I would not put "debating" top and center of your interests because that sounds like you enjoy debating everything the first chance you get.

I don't know, someone chime in if this is making sense or I'm just mislead.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Personal interests is useful for an interview... but it shouldn't be include in a resume, that's for sure. If you're a programmer, you might talk briefly about your personal interests to show that you're not a boring person and have some personality.

But a resume is business, and it's brief. It's mostly used for its keywords and shouldn't be more than 1-2 pages, unless you're like a super veteran, then 3 pages absolute max.

Also bam, your objective "Discover the next chapter in my career that will utilize my talents and fulfill my ambitions." is not very good. You should be more specific. The objective you have right now could literally be put on anybody's resume.

Mine was "To gain full-time employment as a senior developer on challenging, diverse, and creative projects." It says something about my occupation, skill level, and gives clues as to my personality and drive.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

How you craft your resume also depends on what kind of job you are looking for. I made a portfolio [portfolio.zeoxdesign.com] and found it did me more good than my resume (which includes very little in terms of developer experience). The success rate of blindly applying to jobs online with a resume is about... like... 5%. While talking with people, meeting people, being more socially proactive, is much, much better.

That is pretty cool. Since I made a thread asking about jobs/resume feedback I've been revamping my portfolio (still isn't live) when I have time (especially after doing a lot of researching into hiring processes in game development). Won't help I'm sure at this point, but there's always tomorrow.

Bam, sadly, I don't have feedback because I'm a n00b (as you like to spell it, hehe) at this whole thing and thus don't have much beyond theory to help you with. I just wish you the best! Try and network too, like Mark Oates mentioned. I know it's all theoretical stuff for me, but from lots of advice given by software developers in general, it's how you set yourself apart.

edit: Also I'd like to note I've read so much contradicting stuff in my research. A lot of things are 50:50 on resumes as far as I know (objectives, personal interests). But something that was never contradictory was the value of networking.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

My feedback:

• Change the font to something kinder on the eyes.

• I don't think the objective is necessary, but I do often see it. So I guess that's not helpful to you, sorry. :P

• For the experience section, I'm not sure how you would classify that. Was your paycheck still coming from RBB? I don't know your situation, but if so it sounds like you were still employed by them for the entire period of time. If your paycheck was actually coming from TenerisAlgomaTubes, then I could see putting them down. In that case, maybe structure it as three positions:

Quote:

RBB (2015 - present)
    TAT (2013 - 2015)
    RBB (2007 - 2013)

Of course, looking for a job so close to having switched would also look bad. I guess without knowing more specifics of your situation I don't know what else to say on this one.

• Agree on removing the addresses of everything. Only leave your own.

• Put a brief summary of what you've accomplished in the course of your employment.

• "Taught myself Perl and Common Lisp" -- this is superfluous. Just list it in with your experience.

• I would rewrite the Linux section like this:

Quote:

9 years of Linux experience

:)

• Though in another thread someone else said otherwise, I think that the personal interests section won't help you, but can hurt you. So my personal advice is to leave all that stuff out. It's really not too relevant to the job.

Overall, I feel like there's not a lot of meat in there. Show me more about what you bring to the table.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Very useful criticisms. Thanks. :) I apparently have to run here, but quickly a few replies...

Personal interests is useful for an interview... but it shouldn't be include in a resume, that's for sure. If you're a programmer, you might talk briefly about your personal interests to show that you're not a boring person and have some personality.

StevenVI said:

Though in another thread someone else said otherwise, I think that the personal interests section won't help you, but can hurt you. So my personal advice is to leave all that stuff out. It's really not too relevant to the job.

I only included it because James Lohr suggested it in Aaron's thread and since I ride a motorcycle I was hoping that would score me some big points.. :-[ It seems unanimous that I should lose that whole section.

Also bam, your objective "Discover the next chapter in my career that will utilize my talents and fulfill my ambitions." is not very good. You should be more specific. The objective you have right now could literally be put on anybody's resume.

Mine was "To gain full-time employment as a senior developer on challenging, diverse, and creative projects." It says something about my occupation, skill level, and gives clues as to my personality and drive.

It's difficult for me to have an ambitious objective when really I just want out of my current shit job and away from my abusive managers... It's difficult to word that nicely. :)

StevenVI said:

For the experience section, I'm not sure how you would classify that. Was your paycheck still coming from RBB? I don't know your situation, but if so it sounds like you were still employed by them for the entire period of time. If your paycheck was actually coming from TenerisAlgomaTubes, then I could see putting them down. In that case, maybe structure it as three positions:

Quote: said:

RBB (2015 - present)
TAT (2013 - 2015)
RBB (2007 - 2013)

Of course, looking for a job so close to having switched would also look bad. I guess without knowing more specifics of your situation I don't know what else to say on this one.

It was a somewhat unorthodox arrangement, I think. I was full time at "TAT", and I submitted my timesheets to my supervisors at TAT, but they would pay "RBB" and RBB would write my cheques. For all intents and purposes, I was working at "TAT" full- time. RBB did nothing more than sign my cheques (and likely take the bigger slice of the money being paid for me).

StevenVI said:

Overall, I feel like there's not a lot of meat in there. Show me more about what you bring to the table.

It's difficult to be confident about what I do bring to the table. My current employer makes me feel useless... I think I know that's not true, but it's hard to be bold about my abilities when every work day they I am berated and abused and neglected. :-/

My girlfriend believes that I have "pink eye" and should go to the hospital. She also believes that it would be grounds to miss a couple of days of work, which would be too good to be true right now... I'm trying to debate whether I should listen to her and go or whether it's a waste of my time.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I think James Lohr gives good advice in this domain... maybe I wouldn't dismiss that section entirely after all, give it some more thought. :-/

bamccaig said:

It's difficult to be confident about what I do bring to the table. My current employer makes me feel useless... I think I know that's not true, but it's hard to be bold about my abilities when every work day they I am berated and abused and neglected. :-/

You know, my very first expectation for looking at your resume was to be impressed... but I was very underwhelmed. I really (really) believe that your abilities are much more impressive than your resume expresses, and if there is any single advice I can give you about your resume is that it should showcase and place emphasis on, in one way or another, your ability. Not minutia like addresses and titles, per se.

When looking at your resume, I don't get that and I don't get the impression that you have the impressive technical insight that you have shown here on the forums. Haven't you written articles on major tech websites? Don't you have a passionate insight that extends far beyond any other necktie with 8 years as a "Programmer / Analyst"? What is that insight? What impressive things have you done and make you stand out? You started really young, that's one thing that's impressive. :)

You should work for the EFF, lolz :D

[edit]

Quote:

and since I ride a motorcycle I was hoping that would score me some big points.. :-[

You know, during a socializing-pseudo-intro-interview I mentioned that I was in a band and that actually did score me some points (and I got that job). So I know that kind of thing does actually work at some level. (That's more of the social end of things, though.)

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

It's difficult for me to have an ambitious objective when really I just want out of my current job and away from my abusive managers... It's difficult to word that nicely. :)

Remember, nobody hires someone because they "need a job." In fact, it's the opposite because as soon as you get the job and you're not so desparate, you'll probably leave for the job you do want.

Employers hire someone because they "meet my needs, as an employer."

They've put out a job listing to demonstrate a need. Your entire point behind the resume and interviews is to convince them that you're the perfect fit to meet their need.

So while you're wanting to get out of your job--trust me, I empathize!--you don't want to tell them that. You want them to think you're an ace-in-the-hole and they should thank their lucky stars you walked i their door (without seeming like condescension.) You want them thinking you're moving up because you're a higher caliber person than you were.

Some of my best interviews were for companies I didn't want to work for. I knew I could do better, and it showed in my conversations. They kept calling back!

I really (really) believe that your abilities are much more impressive than your resume expresses, and if there is any single advice I can give you about your resume is that it should showcase and place emphasis on, in one way or another, your ability.

This, definitely this! Bam, I disagree with you on plenty of things but I am absolutely confident in your abilities as a programmer. Nobody will believe in you if you don't first believe in yourself. Everyone compares up and feels bad. Nobody bothers to compare down and realize all the mistakes they don't make anymore. Look at your old posts and see how far you've come.

Be very careful not to assume the average co-worker is better than you. You're way better than me, and I work at a place where I'm the only programmer who knows what a design pattern even is.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

You want them to think you're an ace in the hole and they should thank their lucky stars you walked in their door

This is really good advice. Think about your image and how you can craft it to create this impression, not just with your resume, but with your confidence and conversational fluency.

--

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Just out of curiosity, are you interested in relocating for a job? We've only got one opening in engineering at High 5 Games right now -- and it might be beneath you -- but it's in NYC.

I'll just least that link there. ;) (It's not my team ... I actually have no idea which team it's for. But it actually sounds interesting to me. :P)

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

I only included it because James Lohr suggested it in Aaron's thread and since I ride a motorcycle I was hoping that would score me some big points.

Aaron's circumstances are a little different from yours though, as he had no professional experience to list, and very little educational material. You have enough of that to make personal interests unimportant.

I've been hiring people for about 10 years now, and I've read through 100s if not 1000s of CVs in th at time. I can't say I've ever based any employment choice on what an applicant has listed as a personal interest.

It probably won't hurt to leave them in, but it's not likely to help. Though on that note, it is possible that listing an interest in motorcycles could be detrimental, as there are a lot of people who view motorcyclists in a negative light.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but it is generally good to tailor a CV to a given job you apply to and to send out a different CV to each company that is slightly different. For example, if the job is a C++ job, you might want to put the most C++ oriented projects and skills first. In that case it might also be useful to list major C++ libraries you have used a lot, maybe even ones you have contributed to.

If the position seems to put a lot of emphasis on Microsoft / web technologies, maybe mention any work involving MVC/MV-VC and how its use had a significant impact in your organization. That sort of bleeds into what the cover letter has, but just keep in mind what you think employer X is going to look for the most when he/she looks at your CV. Being a master in Perl is an asset, but really I need you to be amazing at MVC.

In your case this is tough, but it's always good to sound like you're the hero at your current job. You want to sound like, yeah, I have a ton of job satisfaction with my current work, and I have amazing innovative ideas that have had a significantly positive impact on the organization I currently work for, but now I'm just looking for that next logical step. I want to do that same amazing stuff that no one else can do for YOUR organization because I feel strongly about what you do here and I feel a personal connection to your organization's mission.

If you cannot do that, maybe try to find something significant that the team you work with has achieved, and what role you played in making that a reality.

Make it seem like everywhere you seem to work, good things seem to happen and the organization seems to prosper and benefit from you.

Leading up to the interview, it's all about the picture you paint of yourself. Try to paint yourself as a confident, competent, hard-working, creative individual that is passionate and motivated by his work, and has great creative ideas that will be an asset to company X.

If you do not convey that you are amazing, they simply will not know. We know you are amazing, just make sure you let them know that. Going into reading your CV I was hoping for more than I got. Take things that might not seem amazing to you, but blow them out of proportion a bit to sound amazing.

For example:
Programmer at X
-Developed a payroll system
-Found errors in existing software and corrected them
-Performed Unit Testing

or

Software Engineer at X
-Helped design and develop a system that consolidated 3 systems into a single payroll system that allowed for company-wide direct deposit, detailed reports, and significantly improved the flow of information throughout the organization.
-Performed unit testing to ensure that the software I wrote met our quality standards.
-Met the deadlines and milestones of our AGILE development schedules.

The first one is more concise, but it is kind of boring. The second one shows me that you were part of an important project that had an impact on the organization and indirectly increased profits. The whole point of software is to reap financial benefit. I also mention AGILE development in the second one which surprisingly, a lot of people are not familiar with that. In the second one I also mention quality standards which shows that I'm not used to just doing things however I like; I'm used to doing things the standard way the organization does it.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I hire people. While I don't really care much about resumes, I wouldn't like yours.

I see the debating/writing sections as big negatives.

The music thing is another negative: "don't have the time to practice." Everybody has 24 hours in a day. Many people are both good musicians and good programmers. I read this as somebody who doesn't know how to manage time well and/or bites off more than he can chew.

Motorcycling tidbit would mean nothing to me. I'd really only include personal interests if it was somewhat related to your job.

e.g., You might say something like "I'm an active, contributing member in an indie game development community" but do you really want to have employers start reading your rants here? I think not.

This is useful:

Quote:

8 years of T-SQL; 8 years of JavaScript; 7 years of C#; 7 years of ASP.NET; 6 Years of Classic ASP/VBScript.

This is not:

Quote:

Experience with ASP.NET, C, C++, C#, CSS, HTML, Java, JavaScript, Perl 5, SQL, VBScript, Visual Basic.NET, XML, XSL; and more. ASP.NET MVC, WinForms.

I laugh at that sort of laundry list. It's not believable. I would want to know where your professional experience really is at. Every good programmer could list dozens of languages they've used to some degree.

Quote:

9 years of GNU+Linux experience, including desktops, a netbook, a smart phone, multiple virtual private servers, and now a dedicated private server.

The GNU+Linux language would tell me that you're pedantic (negative). It's definitely worth mentioning skills in this area, but I'd keep it professional. Netbook? Phone? I don't care. Can you manage deploys to a Linux stack? That I'd like to know.

Objective is weak. Tell me specifically what you are looking for. Do you want to be a programmer? A manager? A devops guy? SQL? Perl? C#? You can always send out different resumes to different job openings.

Also, I'd want to know what your roles were at your prior jobs and what part you actually played in the team.

And never make it sound like you are leaving a job because you couldn't deal with it, even if justified. And definitely don't burn bridges before or after you leave.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Excellent feed back from Matthew. I had my resume RE-written by a pro for about 300.

In this world of capitalize you should never think of your employment as a mirage. you must think of job as a relationship with a girl. You stay with the girl too see a good future can be made however you are always checking out other girls that could be better for your future. Marriage is the only time you stop look at other girls and focuse on rasing your offspring

check out my example

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

jmasterx said:

I also mention AGILE development in the second one which surprisingly, a lot of people are not familiar with that.

A lot (most) of the interviews I had mentioned agile development in some way; it's really buzzy. I got the feeling it's a way for the company to 1) see if I could work in a team, 2) see if I knew what agile meant, and 3) show that their company is a developer-friendly place that I would like to work.

On another note...

piccolo's resume said:

Systems development expert with a comprehensive background gathering business requirements within complex corporate infrastructure environments

:o ??? :P 8-)

--

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

AGILE development dose not really have much to do with team work.
It more of a mechanize to enable fast "customer" focused delivery.
basically your customer tells you what they want. the developer and customer breaks it up into deliverable based on importance and functionality.
example (x, c,r ,t,d) customer says they would really like x as the first deliverable. the developer would say ok that fine however we will need to impalement r first because x is not functional without r.
in the development you having meeting to talk about and document progress and any setback or changes as well as update any time lines. some of us are using this AGILE approach in game development with out even knowing.

basic manage change with a clear understanding between all party of the goal and time lines

wow

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

http://www.sootoday.com/content/employment/

There's a few jobs there that you should probably apply for. I'd apply to Bank Note,
eQOL and LED Roadway Lighting.

It's probably a good idea to tweak your resume and cover-letter so it's a bit more focused on what the job description says is needed. So if the job description says "Knowledge in <X> is required" you should make sure your cover-letter and/or resume have some detail about how you've used <X>.

It takes a bit more time to tweak your resume for the job, but I think it pays off in the end.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

http://www.sootoday.com/content/employment/

There's a few jobs there that you should probably apply for. I'd apply to Bank Note,
eQOL and LED Roadway Lighting.

Thanks a lot, Sam! That is very helpful. I was not aware of that page.

It's probably a good idea to tweak your resume and cover-letter so it's a bit more focused on what the job description says is needed. So if the job description says "Knowledge in <X> is required" you should make sure your cover-letter and/or resume have some detail about how you've used <X>.

It takes a bit more time to tweak your resume for the job, but I think it pays off in the end.

You're absolutely correct, but the OP resume was written generically without a specific job in mind. I had intended to just drop one off at the various businesses that I knew had programming needs and hope for a phone call. It's difficult to write a specific resume for such an unspecified job. :(

Anyway, I managed to hack up a cover letter for one of the job postings. It has a resume on the second page too, but it's not significantly different from my current one. This particular job posting seems to be a pretty good fit for me. The only downside is that it's for an "intern" and a 1-year contract so I'm not sure if the pay will be able to match even what I'm making now (which is already poor), let alone if I'd have a job in a year... But even so, if the work is interesting again, and the team is cooperative, then I'd be willing to move...

Tell me what you guys think of this... :-/ The job posting is here...

I'm working on another cover letter and resume pair for another job posting by the same company for a mobile developer, but since I lack experience with mobile development I'm having trouble. I'm also having trouble rewriting parts that may be relevant, or even just parts that may make me sound good. It's hard to put them into different words and I'm not sure if it's necessary. Certainly some people would mind... It's hard to make applicable changes to the resume because I lack the specific mobile experience that was asked for... The closest I have is developing Web and Windows applications to run on Windows-based tablet devices.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Notes Keep in mine that in most cases the first person to read you CV will not be technical.

some parts are very technical

also
see if you can change
I taught myself

To
self taught or I easily appdept to new technologies when required

wow

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Doesn't hurt to apply to jobs, so if anything sounds interesting, go for it. But if the job is labeled as "intern," then they probably don't want to spend much (if any) money.

Don't leave a job to work for a startup that doesn't have good financing; you'll be out of a job after they run out of money (which will happen sooner than they will admit). And before that, they will work you as hard as they can with the promise of better things coming soon.

So don't be embarrassed to ask about their financial status if it's a startup. How are they funded? What needs to happen for them to get more funding? Ask about who owns and runs the company, etc. Startups can be fun to work for (particularly if you like to solve problems), but they can also be chaotic messes.

I think your cover letter is generally good, but I think you get a bit verbose on a few topics.

Something like this is more brief and doesn't get into details I don't care about (getting laid off):

Quote:

I have been employed as a Web application developer, programmer, and analyst in Sault Ste. Marie for 8 years. I have worked full time both as an automation programmer for the [insert industry reference] and a Web application developer for the health care and child care sectors.

Less language about "taught myself", like:

Quote:

I am well versed in Subversion, Git, and Mercurial. I am a strong proponent of version control, and was responsible for introducing the development team at RBB Innovations to it, and developing and monitoring best practices.

However, if you are applying for a job in a language that you lack experience, it is great to tie that into it:

Quote:

I enjoy challenging myself with learning new things. I have taught myself many languages ([insert a few examples]) while working on personal projects. I've begun learning Haskell, and am confident that I will be able to adopt Python quickly given the opportunity.

And this phrase sounds confrontational:

Quote:

have been a fighting force to improve upon them.

That whole paragraph is kind of rambles on without fitting nicely with the rest of the letter. But I think there's some good stuff in there if you can work out the transitions and soften the language a bit.

In general, you don't want to come off as the typical opinionated, arrogant programmer as a first impression. i.e., It's okay to say you are a strong believer in version control, but you shouldn't get into why you feel that Git is superior over some other similar solution. The former shows that you are professional; the latter just shows that you might be hard to work with. Over time, you'll have the opportunities to bring your personal perspective to the table. (And the interviewer may ask you pointed questions, to which you can give honest answers to.)

But you definitely do want to show that you have applicable skills, that you are passionate about your career, that you work well as a team, and that you also can be trusted to lead projects / be self-motivated.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Don't leave a job to work for a startup that doesn't have good financing; you'll be out of a job after they run out of money (which will happen sooner than they will admit). And before that, they will work you as hard as they can with the promise of better things coming soon.

During my interviews with startups, most of them were quick to make a (very defensive sounding) statement on their projected long term financing prospects. It was as if they wanted to quell any fears that I may have about the future of their company, before I even brought anything up about it.

--

1   2 

Go to: