Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Cities Skylines

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Cities Skylines
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Cities Skylines was released today/yesterday. I ended up buying it, and i have to say, I like it. There are some quirks and bugs, but I bet they'll fix em.

My current/first city:

{"name":"609298","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/031060053ea5165951edab67788cf10d.png","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/3\/031060053ea5165951edab67788cf10d"}609298

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Looking up this game brought EA's closure of Maxis to my attention.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Maxis isn't closed, but it's old main branch, the one that did the last SimCity is closed. It seems EA didn't like the customer backlash to their asinine decisions, so it closed the developer for following it's instructions. Not that the studio was doing great before EA bought it out, but the decline only got worse after.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Hey, don't derail the thread so soon!

There are some quirks and bugs, but I bet they'll fix em.

In other words, the game isn't yet something you can recommend?

Having spent my childhood pirating games, my young adulthood playing bargain bin old games, and currently developing free-to-play games, the idea of spending $40 on a single game is absurd to me. I say this because I expect it to still be filled with in-game nickel-and-diming. Is this true? The presence of two different packages is also confusing to me.

It looks like it could be a game that I would have enjoyed as a kid. I'm waiting just a few more years for my kids and my brother's kids to get old enough for us to play a family game of OpenTTD. :P

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

StevenVI said:

In other words, the game isn't yet something you can recommend?

I highly recommend it! It can only get better! I think the worst thing right now, is if you're into super micro managing, it might seem too easy? Its more sim'y than game'y.

The bugs I'e encountered weren't enough to stop me from playing ;) some of it is UI bugs, some of it is unsupported gpu (I can't run it on my laptop due to graphical glitches), but otherwise it's pretty good.

Quote:

the idea of spending $40 on a single game is absurd to me. I say this because I expect it to still be filled with in-game nickel-and-diming. Is this true? The presence of two different packages makes me cautious.

So far there is no store for it afaik. The difference between the two packages is that you helped fund the development a bit more so you get a few extra "special" buildings, a digital copy of the sound track, and a (digital) art book. You really don't lose anything if you buy the $30 version, and it is very very worth it. If you like city building games, you'll likely end up spending 8+ hours on it your first day if you have that kind of day. Getting your money's worth won't be difficult.

I used to play the old SNES Sim City a lot. This goes back to that feeling in a major way.

The game also has some interesting features that make it quite a bit deeper than the original SimCity ever was. Like districts, multiple bus and subway lines, etc. Heck it goes beyond most SimCity games.

I can't recommend it enough to people who like these kinds of games. IF you feel uncomfortable paying the $30 for the main game, maybe wait for a steam sale? By then they might have even fixed some of the more annoying UI glitches.

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Always looking for the next city-building game. SimCity 4 is still my favorite.

Cities XXL just came out too? I was kind of meh on Cities XL. What you've built for Skylines looks intriguing...

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Last I heard about XXL was it was a bit funky and incomplete. I can only imagine Skylines is a new version of it?

--

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

I've not yet played this game, but I heard it get mentioned a lot on the Train Fever forums (everyone there is comparing TF to CS). Would you say Cities Skyline is more Sim City or more OpenTTD? Train Fever on the other hand is more like OpenTTD but with updated graphics.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I haven't played OpenTTD. So I can't really say. It's definitely a city builder, so there's a lot of SimCity there, but its a lot more like earlier Sim Cities, and not the latest (except that the initial starting city size is small. which you can expand as you play by buying more land)

--

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Great game! Haven't played it much yet though since I'm in the middle of moving. I like the tilt-shift effect and how alive the city feels when just looking at the tiny residents and their daily life.

Go to: