I'm officially a composer now :D
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I uploaded something I composed to YouTube ;D

[EDIT: updated link for reupload with fixed frame rate]

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Cool. :)

(Sorry, I don't have time to offer any real critique right now. But I did listen to it.)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

You make me feel like a kid who's only at the office where real men work because his dad couldn't find a babysitter.

/salute

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

Wow, that is an amazing work --- especially for a 13-year old!

At some places, it really sounded very Mozart-ish, but Mozart on drugs. :) Did you perform it yourself?

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Thank you all!

Did you perform it yourself?

I did indeed :) There's some more info in the video description.

P.S. (For those who haven't already read this on YouTube) I will be uploading more of these as time permits, and as it happens, I'm also looking for subscribers 8-)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Suddenly the page-turning inquiry makes sense.

This is a pleasant composition. I am even more impressed by the performance, though. You really know how to tickle them ivories. At 13, you were composing on a level that I didn't reach until 15, maybe even 16.

To top it off, even the video is put together well. (Don't think the transition at 1:22 went unnoticed.) How could anyone not subscribe? Keep the tunes coming.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

And when you are dead and buried, you will be a decomposer.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Yes, this is nice music, and what playing skill! I compose music too at time, but I need a computer to do it. I can't keyboards very well at all.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Thank you again!

Actually, there were two problems with this video.

1. VideoPad generated the video with variable framerate, and YouTube didn't do a good job of processing it. YouTube's version seems to be 13 fps, and the juddering makes me think it didn't even choose evenly spaced frames in time. The good news is I've found a workaround.

2. Sometimes the video appears light grey instead of white. When I first uploaded it, this happened only on YouTube on my computer. VLC and WMP showed it white on my computer, and YouTube showed it white on my phone and Lore's computer. Today, it's different: the YouTube version has gone white but VLC has gone grey (WMP still white), with no changes to the local mp4. I don't understand this at all.

Question is, should I upload a fixed version and delete this one, losing my existing view count and likes? It seems like an initial hit but a worthwhile move towards perfection...?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I wouldn't worry too much about the video quality. It's readable, and that's all that matters. That said, you don't have that many views or likes yet so if you're going to do it now is the time. You might contact YouTube support to see if there's a way to substitute the same video in better quality. I'm almost certain I have seen videos change without changing location/stats...

I would actually recommend, if you're not worried about your identity or location being leaked, setting up a camera to record you while you play too. For those of us that cannot play nor read music, the sheet music isn't all that helpful, and we'd probably get more from watching you play. You could always upload both versions so you satisfy the entire audience. :)

Append:

If you think the audio is broken then perhaps that is worth an upload regardless of stats. That is what the video is mostly about. That said, I couldn't tell so the average lamer won't notice. Make sure the audio problems aren't related to bandwidth, etc. Maybe contact YouTube support for assistance figuring it out... Check the video quality setting when you play it, etc. :-/

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

The audio survived the upload perfectly :)

You've probably seen people apply enhancements to their videos. I don't think YouTube Support will help me.

I've already tried uploading a half-fixed video (but haven't published it - it's in limbo). The framerate workaround was successful, but the video still appears grey to me. I want to understand that problem before I do anything. I'm continuing to research it...

[EDIT]
Well, I did it - here's the reupload. My poor subscribers :-[

I tested this new video on my other computer before publishing, and it's white there. I'm hoping it's just foul play of some kind on this computer. Since the first video went white after a while, maybe this one will too ::) ??? :-X

[EDIT]
I found the perfect solution with the old video! No need to delete it - it's now unlisted and has an annotation directing people to the new one. \ó/

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Very good! This is far more interesting than the stuff I see on lots of forums, where people post their compositions. The usual stuff is either completely avant garde, which once in a while is very good, or it is stuff written in some classic style, but much worse than what has already been written, and most attempts to put some originality in them just sound like they've simply missed the basic rules.

Your composition is more like how Prokofjeff liked to play fool with old styles. Every side step you take from Bach or Mozart or Scarlatti - who I think are almost recognisable here - you do in a way that makes it good. It's not just wrong, it's interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Very kind words, thank you :)

Your last sentence made me think of terms like 'not even wrong' and 'wronger than wrong' ;D

Funny you mention Prokofiev, as he is one of the recent composers I respect the most. He had a way of pushing the boundaries of harmony and doing new things while still, in my ears, making his music listenable and enjoyable, and so distinctive to him. (Not that I had really discovered him at the time I wrote this though! I might have known his classical symphony actually, but it definitely wasn't a conscious influence.) I'm now working on his Piano Concerto No. 3; he jumps around the keyboard like crazy and I'm sure my general leaping speed and accuracy has improved as a result of my unending attempts to not screw it up.

[EDIT]
Bambams, you subscribed twice, you player you :P ;D

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

And when I was 13 I was just writing stupid video games in QBasic. :'(

Bambam needs to upload a video of him rapping to this. 8-)

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

I thank you for showing me what talented human beings can achieve given beneficial circumstances and hard work.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

bambams, I accidentally your video :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=LLGUqU00M89nIZtgvqGWJ87g

[EDIT]
You've got NGFR in your title - what's that?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Never go full retard!

video

It's used in some parts of the online motorcycling community to discourage fully reckless behavior while riding on the street (e.g., stunting next to people, racing around blind corners, etc.). :) When I had the idea to put the helmet on I immediately thought of just being a goof and ending with that expression.

???

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Now I see what all the YouTube quality fuss was about. The new version actually does look a lot better, especially the slow page turn.

Rapping in a Vim shirt... Bambams, you're my hero.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Boobuigi, I'm glad someone recognises the improvement :) A family member commented on my Facebook announcement that she preferred the old one. I talked about it with her and apparently it's because the old one looks as if it turns pages more slowly (a consequence of the conversion accident) and she thinks it's a more plausible speed for a human page turner. Of course I have to balance that against the fact that during a slower page turn, there is a longer period where the notes at the end of the outgoing page and those at the beginning of the incoming page are both out of view (but it's still preferable to Cyberlink PowerDirector's page turn that goes in the other direction - not to mention how pushy and shovelwary that horrible company is).

On another note, the new video on YouTube has finally started playing in white on this computer :) YouTube must be doing some kind of colour standardisation operations on their videos, perhaps only when the video reaches a token level of popularity (to save resources) or perhaps just on a delayed basis when CPU time can be spared because it's low priority. I wouldn't put it past them to have encountered this exact kind of bug and implemented a very clever workaround into their systems. After all, they are Google. :)

Also, I discovered settings in VLC that I can turn off to make the original .mp4 play white on this computer. The grey happens if either setting is on (and the left-hand setting implies the right-hand setting). Clearly it's a hardware (or driver) YUV->RGB conversion issue. However, it only happens for my videos, so I'm sure there are more details to be figured out. :D

{"name":"609271","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/9\/59700229345de274355365663255cece.png","w":796,"h":723,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/9\/59700229345de274355365663255cece"}609271

--
The brxybrytl has you.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Holy crap, at 13?! It stays interesting with the right amount of variation, although near the end it goes a bit out of character IMHO. I envy your talent.

Bambam needs to upload a video of him rapping to this. 8-)

No. :-X

Quote:

Challenge accepted. 8-)

No! :o

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Nice for you Ben !

We listened your song my wife and I, and it was great !

You must have done some handsome practices to be able to be that quick (particularly in the last parts of the composition).

My preference goes for the first minute. Great moment of joy and lightness. :D

And now... Bambam. Like Gideon said, "Rapping in a Vim shirt... Bambams, you're my hero".

8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Thank you both :)

weapon_S said:

although near the end it goes a bit out of character IMHO

Yes, perhaps. I'm trying to think though - I may have done worse since ;)

It has cover art and a page on last.fm now, and it should also begin to appear on Spotify and in a few other places over the next week or two :)

{"name":"609297","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/2\/32447fd181775f6754253786f00b4c30.jpg","w":2500,"h":2500,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/2\/32447fd181775f6754253786f00b4c30"}609297

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"361.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/7\/275252ab00cf500ad8f931e62d7e0aac.jpg","w":600,"h":626,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/7\/275252ab00cf500ad8f931e62d7e0aac"}361.jpg

I must spend too much time on the Internet... When I saw the shrunk version of the album cover I expected to find a hidden "pedobear" peeking out from behind a tree. :-/

Go to: