Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Criticize me!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Criticize me!
SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Here are some more photos for you guys to criticize. I tried taking the feedback I've gotten so far into account. I've gotten better equipment since these photos were taken so hopefully my next batch will be better(because of feedback like yours!)

{"name":"609256","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/1\/5101684ca6347b7935167a129f8b9707.jpg","w":5184,"h":3456,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/1\/5101684ca6347b7935167a129f8b9707"}609256

{"name":"609257","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/38bc7acb5e1be4c60e62edde51f59611.jpg","w":2579,"h":3230,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/38bc7acb5e1be4c60e62edde51f59611"}609257

{"name":"609258","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/4\/949257d0d30ac2a1a85fae85badafbca.jpg","w":5184,"h":3456,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/4\/949257d0d30ac2a1a85fae85badafbca"}609258

{"name":"609259","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6e21e0df8a5ed6cffe3fd7426eab8ea2.jpg","w":5184,"h":3456,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6e21e0df8a5ed6cffe3fd7426eab8ea2"}609259

{"name":"609260","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/6\/e6c424528a66b2a008b01061101dfec5.png","w":1120,"h":1464,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/6\/e6c424528a66b2a008b01061101dfec5"}609260

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Face it, they're brilliant. I can't help you.

One thing though, I know astrophotography is hard but that nebula could've been better centered.

Did you take that one with the camera attached to a scope?

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

The nebulae was centered in the original image but I cropped it to capture Orion's belt and cut out the unfocused parts. I didn't use a telescope, only my camera, 50mm lens, and star tracker.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

While I think your photos are good, I don't think they qualify as exceptional yet. (No insult intended). They seem to lack something, I don't know what. Framing the subject itself is not enough to make a good picture, it's only a place to start. I guess I think there may be a problem with the negative space in the 1st, 3rd, and 4th photos. It seems to detract from the subject and take the focus away from it. I think the 2nd photo suffers from the opposite problem. It has too much foreground or positive space in the picture, and the subject blends a little too much with its own background. One last thing, it seems that the 3rd and 4th (well maybe just the 3rd) photos are too dark. The subject itself is not lit well in the 3rd photo.

So I guess the things I think you could work on are the composition and the light balance of your photos. Hope I was helpful. Not trying to be harsh.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Criticize me!

You have fat toes.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Nice pictures!
Some brief comments:
1) i love it!
2) nice
3) a tad too dark and not too interesting but has a nice color
4) not too interesting imo
5) i know nothing of astrophotography but I like it

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

In my completely unqualified opinion, the images are too "close". I want to see more going on. The "subject" alone is like yeah, great, sweet, there's a flower, flowers are colorful and beautiful, who cares...?

I feel like you're cheating taking pictures of nice things very close with good equipment. Well, how much still does it take to do this? I don't know, but I assume not that much.

I recommend you switch to photographing nekkid wimmins. The results are much better that way. And I don't mean that as an insult to your skills, hobby, or trade. I simply mean that I like photographs of nekkid wimmins.

J86xN.gif

ks
Member #1,086
March 2001

Hope you don't mind....the attached is just a bit of quick and dirty processing.

{"name":"1.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/3\/f3223230e45255c7c48087f01b76eaca.jpg","w":1024,"h":1282,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/3\/f3223230e45255c7c48087f01b76eaca"}1.jpg
{"name":"2.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/2\/b2867342ad11b423bdddca59a5d2ad69.jpg","w":1024,"h":682,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/2\/b2867342ad11b423bdddca59a5d2ad69"}2.jpg
{"name":"3.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/f\/2fbe5f3fe8f40b9cc87a2a309521782e.jpg","w":1024,"h":682,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/f\/2fbe5f3fe8f40b9cc87a2a309521782e"}3.jpg

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

You have fat toes.

That's not nice. Stand up for yourself, SonOfShadowCat. It's not your fault. Fat people have fat toes, that's all.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Edgar: You're not being insulting at all. I know I'm not good which is why I asked for feedback. I was trying to use a low iso to avoid noise but I'll be sure to bump it up in the future(and possibly assume the histograph isn't reading high enough).

Bam: I'm not sure if you don't like my photos specifically or macro photography in general? I've always been a fan of macro photography and the idea of seeing things up close that you wouldn't normally see with yours eyes or in regular photos. I admit that my photos aren't very interesting but that's a symptom of me, not the genre in general.

KS: I like what you did with the second photo since noise isn't too increased and detail is still there. But I'm not sure about the frog? I was purposely trying to blacken everything but the front part and I kind of feel like the slightly white washed portions that were black distract from the main area(face and eyes). I do, however, like that you brought out the left eye more. What did you do? Just increase brightness/lower contrast?

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

#1 frog: Perhaps zoom down and left, since it looks like it's on a branch but the frame seems more fitting to emphasize a grounded creature. If you want to keep a really close zoom, I imagine it would be better if the frog's face were more head-on. A creature will usually demand even more space in the direction it is facing.

#2 fly: Too close crop on the bottom. Angle is a little too close to directly behind. I find the fly to be the most powerful part of this image, and it wants to move the visual flow downward, but it stops too abruptly to let the eye wander back around.

#3 purple flower: The foreground blur is slightly distracting while not not really being far enough in the foreground, composition wise. The photo has great composition and flow, though.

#4 pink flower: Awkward crop on the bottom. I like the space on the right, in the direction the flower is facing.

#5 space: I'm curious if the three stars being horizontal or completely diagonal would look good, though that's only a wild speculation and might not work at all.

I like the lighting well enough. You might tend to crop too much on the bottom? Overall, pretty good. I think the photos are pretty impressive. Below are some really rough samples adding a tiny bit more space. I probably should have separated them more now that I look at it. They are working too well together as I placed them.

{"name":"609272","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a2797bfce42650ca0b318cbcbc70a39.jpg","w":662,"h":234,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a2797bfce42650ca0b318cbcbc70a39"}609272

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Bam: I'm not sure if you don't like my photos specifically or macro photography in general? I've always been a fan of macro photography and the idea of seeing things up close that you wouldn't normally see with yours eyes or in regular photos. I admit that my photos aren't very interesting but that's a symptom of me, not the genre in general.

Probably a little bit of both. :-/ I'm not really into photography so I suppose I'm just not a very good person to criticize. I love the idea of seeing things up close too, mind you, but I guess I'd prefer something closer or further away. Where it is you can't really see the fine details, and you also can't see the surrounding environment.

I don't know what it was, but ks' revisions did seem to "pop" much more. I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing in the end, but they look slightly more appealing anyway. Maybe it's because the edges of these objects aren't perfectly focused? Fuck if I know. I don't know the lens from the shutter. ::)

I don't dislike your work. I'm just not getting anything out of it currently. :) That's the best that I can do for criticism (I certainly can't turn down the invitation!).

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

You've definitely got an eye for photography. Your nature shots are very well timed, cropped, and focused. That's the hard part.

All you have to do now is follow through, doing pretty much what ks did. Your subject matter has a vast range of color, but I don't see that come through in the final images. Bump up the contrast across the board and push the major color themes of the individual pieces.

If your camera has RAW support, you might consider using it (if you also have a big enough SD card!) and taking advantage of the extra color data in Photoshop. You might even experiment with HDR, although I know a lot of people hate HDR because it's easy to over-do it. (Personally, I love cheesy HDR, but I'm in the minority there.)

Also, as much as I love the night sky, it is a real challenge to make a compelling composition. Plus, you need to be obsessive about your equipment and environment. I can't help you with the first, but this might help with the second, if you're not already referencing it.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

While I think your photos are good, I don't think they qualify as exceptional yet. (No insult intended). They seem to lack something, I don't know what.

Where have I heard this before...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I got my hands on new software and the first thing I did was go back and do processing on my nebula photo. I def plan on taking everything you guys have said into account when the weather clears up and I can take photos again. I also redid the frog photo and it looks much better and more in line with what you guys have told me.

This is a before and after of Orion's belt and nebula. The next time I image this will be infinitely better as I've learned a few more things.

{"name":"orion_s_belt_and_nebula_by_citizencommunist-d8lb2i7.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d42b85d85db1ed6d68629ff9d348b80f.png","w":2240,"h":1464,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d42b85d85db1ed6d68629ff9d348b80f"}orion_s_belt_and_nebula_by_citizencommunist-d8lb2i7.png

Pho75_
Member #12,377
November 2010

Nice work.
I know jack squat, but here goes...
i think u did a descent job framing your subjects.
I think the photos don't pop though. I don't know if it's a post-processing
step that's needed or what.
I think everything needs more contrast and sharpness.

The colors on the frog look somewhat muddled.
The rain drops on the flower aren't crisp.

Go to: