Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Does anyone use a a simple filesharing site for their blog?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Does anyone use a a simple filesharing site for their blog?
type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Although I never actually did coding for earnings, I never entirely stopped coding since I started in high school. Some of the stuff I code I feel like is worth hosting, as sometimes someone wants some program, and it's sure better give'em a link rather than emailing. Despite one day should my trading efforts reach a dead end I maybe looking for a programming related job. Just found out I didn't post anything for a year despite having two finished programs, I came to make a post & found out.. My previously uploaded programs aren't available for download. More than this, the download links link to some miscellaneous stuff.

[TL;DR:]
I'm looking for a hosting site where I could upload some not large files which would be permanently available for download & wouldn't be deleted after a year or two of not being downloaded.

Thanks. :)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I don't imagine there's ever any guarantee of that. The best approach is to pay for hosting. You might be able to abuse something like Google Drive or Dropbox for it? I don't know... It's actually really a scary thing to think about. What if you require some file to be available online reliably for eternity? How do you guarantee it? You can't really. And to even come close is very expensive...

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

So you're hoping to share the programs but not the code? I would reconsider, particularly if the programs are complete. Sharing code can bring new life to your programs, long after you've moved onto other things, in ways that are impossible to fully grasp.

Otherwise, closed-source certainly has its own set of merits, and it's nobody's place to hound you. Go with The Depot, duh. For non-Allegro programs, a backup solution like Dropbox might be a good choice, as pretty much every file-sharing service deletes uploads after a certain amount of time.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Hmm. Sharing the code could be best approach I guess, assuming I'm fine with that. What should I be using then?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Otherwise, closed-source certainly has its own set of merits, and it's nobody's place to hound you. Go with The Depot, duh. For non-Allegro programs, a backup solution like Dropbox might be a good choice, as pretty much every file-sharing service deletes uploads after a certain amount of time.

I've never heard anything like that from Google drive, and I wouldn't be paying them money for storage if they also decided to delete my important files. That doesn't make any sense.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/6558?hl=en

https://support.google.com/a/answer/1071518?hl=en

If you're not doing popular web hosting, those bandwidth limits are fine for most people... especially for people who pay $0 for it.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Google Drive sounds like one of the exceptions, then. Good to know.

GitHub++... She's got the face and the brains. It's rare that us programmers get both.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Google drive sounds good, especially if I'm already using blogspot. It doesn't look like I can use a.cc though.. It requires me to apply for a webhost.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I do not think that ML would appreciate you using his storage nor bandwidth to host content for a different site, even if he granted you hosting. :-/ I'm guessing. I haven't used his hosting privilege. I'm not sure that Google will either, but they're far more likely to do so to a point. If you use enough resources there will be no free option available and you'll have to break down and pay monies. :) It really doesn't have to be that much though...

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Well, it's few programming projects(less than 10 so far) with one or two being on Allegro.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Oh, yes, if it's source code put it on GitHub. If it's binaries, the depot is an appropriate place for Allegro projects. You can probably use Google Drive for others to a point. I could host some stuff for you, but without any guarantee of it being available tomorrow or into the future... Best if you keep reminding me it's there so I don't forget about it. :D

Go to: