Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » PSU

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
PSU
William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Got a PSU which is great all except with respect to how much noise it makes.

So I've started wondering what'll happen if I take the fans out.

Has anyone ever tried this?

It's a 500Watt one.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

If you feel comfortable getting in there and removing the fan, maybe try replacing the fan with a quieter one? I wouldn't suggest just removing the fan. Lots of heat goes through the psu in many systems.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Thomas, I love you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Yes, as someone with electrical hacking experience:

1) If you're not experienced, or not capable of being careful. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Anyone can learn this, but only if you're willing to be patient and careful.

2) There are two hazards.

2a) One, electrical. Flip the off switch on the back/unplug it, THEN turn the computer on. The computer will briefly try to start on the left over energy in the transformer/capacitors and drain it.

DO NOT use more than one hand on it at a time (other hand goes in your pocket!). It worked for Tesla and it will work for you. One hand means even if you are shocked, it'll go through your hand and out your hand. Not across your heart, killing you. Your hand can take a beating. Your heart will just stop beating. (Pun not intentional...)

2b) DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN. Wear gloves, or make sure you feel for sharp edges. PSU's are made out of stamped steel, which is normally razor sharp at the edges. I learned the hard way, and I ended up gushing out blood from my thumb and getting 6-8 stitches. Do not make any sudden movements like pulling on a stuck wire/connector. It may pop out, sending your hand into the sharp metal. That's exactly what happened to me.

3) Make sure you replace the fan with the same size (duh, but measure if unsure). That includes the depth (thicker might not fit.) And SAME VOLTAGE. Current ratings don't matter much. If it says LOWER, it means it takes less current because it has a higher internal resistance. It won't hurt anything as long as there is enough airflow. Higher current rating will still be okay as long as it's not more than 1.5X-2.0X. These are not sensitive components, there is always working room (if the fan blades were blocked from turning, it might go 5x, 10x or more).

4) If the fan has an RPM wire or temperature sensor, you'll definitely need to get one that replicates it. You'll also need to get the same connector, but if you can solder, you can take the old one off and replace it if you're careful to get the wires correct.

So in closing, there's a lot to it. But if you understand that "lot" it's a simple, and safe procedure.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Thanks a lot Chris. Very kind of you to share your hard won tips.

I'll quite probably be putting them all to use very soon.

I bought a copy of Windows 8 today because I got fragged by a nasty virus type infection. I want a machine that only uses the net when there's no other option.

Tommorrow I'll be getting it installed so I can finally do some programming again.

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

2a) One, electrical. Flip the off switch on the back/unplug it, THEN turn the computer on. The computer will briefly try to start on the left over energy in the transformer/capacitors and drain it.

This does not necessarily make it "safe", either, though it should help. Typically power supplies use active switching to transform the higher voltage (on a buffered line with a giant capacitor or two), so who is to say the switching mechanism stays on long enough to drain the big bad cap near the power inputs? I have a big resistor soldered on two some wire that I use for making sure capacitors are drained by shorting their leads with it. Granted, I wouldn't be too horribly worried unless I was bleeding.

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!
My blog about computer nonsense, etc.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Diagram?

Kind of resistor?

Method for using resistor for achieving this?

Okay, so that's a bit demanding but I'm pissed again. Just the first two and I'd be happy.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Better than a resister:

light bulb in light fixture with AC cord. Split wire in two, connect the two terminals tp the capacitor terminals. Worst case, keep the lightbulb angled away from your face but the likely hood a cap is going to explode it is almost zero. Light bulb will light up (yes, on DC!) until the power is gone. Confirm with multimeter.

It worked for this one:

{"name":"7EQ0UwG.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1b6732f92c2d14c55d8225f44f9a674d.jpg","w":1600,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1b6732f92c2d14c55d8225f44f9a674d"}7EQ0UwG.jpg

It'll work for any wussy girly man capacitors in your PSU.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Thanks Chris.

That's one seriously BaaAAAAAD cap :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Geeze, that looks like a supercap :o How many F?

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I don't have the cap specs anymore, but the power supply was 10 amps @ 57-volt (unloaded), 48-volt (loaded). That thing was a monster, for driving a large stepper motor.

{"name":"tR22Y.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/1\/f19ca8ecdcba3c3a38c1ca447f67a0d2.jpg","w":1600,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/1\/f19ca8ecdcba3c3a38c1ca447f67a0d2"}tR22Y.jpg
{"name":"LLjnC.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b726b93f3325154484d88addc2bdf0b3.jpg","w":2872,"h":1616,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/7\/b726b93f3325154484d88addc2bdf0b3"}LLjnC.jpg

It was a workable prototype for a soil testing company as our senior design project. The college said it was the biggest student project they saw in over 15 years. Oh youth...

-----sig:

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Looks good :D

--

Sevalecan
Member #4,686
June 2004

I think Dave Jones would be digging those ceramic fuses. Also, screw the cap. That transformer is pretty beefy.

TeamTerradactyl: SevalecanDragon: I should shoot you for even CONSIDERING coding like that, but I was ROFLing too hard to stand up. I love it!
My blog about computer nonsense, etc.

Go to: