Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Crash in _al_d3d_refresh_texture_memory

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Crash in _al_d3d_refresh_texture_memory
kovarex
Member #14,203
April 2012

When I have a lot of memory bitmap, the game sometimes crashes in the _al_d3d_refresh_texture_memory (called fro acknowledge resize). Do you know why could it be?

Edit: Might it be a problem, that there is quite big amount of bitmaps there? (more than 32 thousand).

www.factorio.com - a factory building game.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

That 32000 id smelling fishy, some kind of too short indexing?

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

kovarex
Member #14,203
April 2012

Ok, so I managed to solve it, the problem was, that we had bitmap with size 0X0.

I guess that allegro should either handle it, or at least throw an error in such case.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That smells like a bug. if it lets you allocate it, it should handle it on resize.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

So I looked into this... and I've a question. What Allegro version are you using? Last I recall you used a old custom 5.1 version before I landed the compressed texture support. As part of that feature, I fixed a lot of dodgy things in the D3D driver (including code that definitely would crash with w/h being 0). So this might actually be fixed.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

kovarex
Member #14,203
April 2012

I'm still using the 5.1.8.

So we might update to 5.1.9, but I'm afraid to push it into the stabilisation releases.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Do you have a way of pushing out test/dev releases that won't go out to everyone? But just out to a few die-hard fans that want to help test in progress stuff? That might be a good way to go about testing a newer version of allegro you're scared may be unstable (in this case, its most likely more stable).

Also, have you seen Zisteau's lets plays? Crazyness.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

kovarex
Member #14,203
April 2012

The way we do it is, that we do all the risky changes at the start of the stabilisation cycle, as it is expected to be broken in many different ways so there is time to fix the problems and fix bugs derived from fixing these problems :)

It means, that we can move to the new version within few weeks, yes I saw the zisteau videos :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

kovarex said:

It means, that we can move to the new version within few weeks

That's not too bad. Though how do you account for really odd issues that won't appear till a not small fraction of your user base gets their hands on it? I can imagine some GL or D3D quirk or change might pop up, that doesn't affect any of your test machines, but would show up live...

Heck, I'm having an issue like that. Sevalecan is helping me with a project and when he runs it, his drivers seem to allocate like 1.5GB of system ram (possibly gpu ram as well) for the VBOs the app uses, but my intel system allocates like 400MB max. Going to try and "fix" that today if i can.

--

Go to: