Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Video Capture / Video Editor

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Video Capture / Video Editor
Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Hi all,

Was hoping to get some personal recommendations for what are some of the best current video capture programs out there. Using Windows 7 and money isn't too much of an issue (< 100 USD would be nice) Bonus if it can edit recorded video.

I want to record my desktop and in games as well -- I'd also like to capture mic audio for commentary. I don't have much experience with such programs but the videos will go on Youtube, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

There are many options for recording games. One of the most flexible is Open Broadcaster. But I hear theres a learning curve.

There's also Fraps, Bandicam, and Dxtory.. And probably others.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

For HD video-capture I'm using Bandicam. Some people have issues with it but I haven't run into any, though because it lets you pick your own codec settings you have to be very careful to choose settings that your system can handle.

For capturing the desktop and not necessarily a hardware-accelerated game, I use VirtualDub, which is free. You can capture game footage with it too, though it takes a lot more effort and a powerful system to pull it off decently.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

I will try VirtualDub for now to see how it handles games. Open to try other recommendations too. Thomas I am aware there are many options which is exactly why I am seeking a personal opinion from experience e.g. "I have used product x and product y and y met my needs better than x."

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I have only really used Fraps here. I haven't had a need to record games since I got Open Broadcaster however, so I'm not sure if it's better or not.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I use Debut and Videopad. You can use it for free, it might be a light version meant for non professional projects. The license might be < $100 and you will probably get rid of a few annoyances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Thomas I am aware there are many options which is exactly why I am seeking a personal opinion from experience e.g. "I have used product x and product y and y met my needs better than x."

I don't personally record games... but I watch a lot of people on youtube and twitch that do, and they tend to keep to OBS, Dxtory and Fraps.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Videopad is amazing! better than Adobe Premier and Final Cut Pro.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Here's a screenshot from Debut:
{"name":"608478","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/2\/d221ecd57cff31f4bb4d1e1edd1936bd.png","w":1115,"h":875,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/2\/d221ecd57cff31f4bb4d1e1edd1936bd"}608478

Records video from screen, webcam or network camera. Records audio from mic, stereo mix, speakers, mouse clicks. Can add text captions. A whole bunch of file formats.

And this is Videopad:
{"name":"608479","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/d\/2d48536224ce39eef71759c02fd65bf0.png","w":1333,"h":810,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/d\/2d48536224ce39eef71759c02fd65bf0"}608479

This is from the unlicensed professional version. The middle frame shows the clip that's selected in the left frame. You can view it and select start and end points to be copied down to the timeline (Yay for a proper timeline. Hang yourself, Windows Dead Moviemaker.) The right frame shows the video of the timeline. Nice set of effects. Nice set of transitions. Several video tracks, several audio tracks (even the light version has 2 video tracks, IIRC).

I have nothing bad to say about any of these programs. Seems you get the fully featured versions for $90 as a bundle. I haven't bought them, I'm using only the light versions, which suit me perfectly (the unlicensed professional doesn't save, it's strictly for evaluation). Of course the light versions have a heavy mechanism of advertising all NCH products, popping up their web page, installing shortcuts to all of their software. Look out for the tool bar, that they want to add to your web browser.

Videopad is amazing! better than Adobe Premier

Funny that you should say that. I haven't used any version of Premier. But I believe if I'd create videos for living, I'd buy Premiere. If I'd create graphics for living, I'd skip Gimp and buy Photoshop. And if I'd write sheet music for living, I'd skip MuseScore and buy Sibelius. I really like Videopad, Gimp and MuseScore and I actually can't imagine me ever using the alternatives on a regular basis. But I think I'd learn the difference, when I started to count working hours, income, productivity and quality.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I am in need just of the video editing software. I plan to do motovlogging this year. I have already mounted a GoPro to my helmet. I just need an external mic, and the audio/video editing software to blur license plates, etc. :-/

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

What's the thing with blurring the license plates anyway?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

video

For the most part it's just a good thing to have plausible deniability. You don't have to be breaking the law to be punished for breaking it, or to be harassed by government.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Yeah, I'd do the same.

As far as software goes, it's been mentioned before (I know Elias uses it), but PiTiVi is a pretty swell video editor. The web site might give off some iBloat stench, but the software itself is squeaky clean.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I just asked Elias about it in IRC and he said that OpenShot is quite good too. Both appear to be FLOSS, but also perhaps Linux only (or at least *nix). Not a huge deal, but since I'm often gaming I often have Windows running on the metal so that would be a minor inconvenience (though I prefer them being Linux-only than Windows-only long term). I haven't confirmed that Windows ports don't exist yet. Also, he isn't sure that either one could handle the license plate obscuring functionality. I'm still weighing options.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I find viewport adjustment unintuitive in OpenShot, but it does the job well otherwise. So I agree with Elias. K3B also works, but I would only recommend it to KDE worshipers.

As for obscuring a moving object... you might want to look for a Japanese video editor.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

One of the guys on my motorcycle forum informed me that there is a "Platinum" edition of Sony Vegas that can allegedly be had for $100. That is much more reasonable, and if it does what I need it to without being too intrusive then I don't mind spending the money. That said, I am glad to see efforts being made in the open source space and hope to support those as well... We'll see how it all works out. More suggestions welcome in the meantime.

Append:

I bit the bullet and went ahead and bought from "Sony Creative Software": Movie Studio 13 Suite. I ordered a physical copy because I'm old school and don't trust proprietary vendors enough for digital downloads. The USD was about 175, but the CAD was about 200. Kind of steep so I better be happy with it or else. >:( The studio version seems to include audio functionality too. It's not like they make it easy to understand the capabilities of each product. They want to fuck you so yeah... All I can do is try and see how many people need to die as a result. Wish me luck. It'll probably be a week before I receive it due to the physical copy (as a stupid vendor, they don't offer the digital download to physical orders).

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

As for obscuring a moving object... you might want to look for a Japanese video editor.

Why Japanese?

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

LennyLen said:

Why Japanese?

I'm afraid is pr0n joke. :o

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

FFSplit. It's a free alternative to XSplit. Fraps didn't always work for me but this did. It also lets you record and display multiple things at once via layers (and of course stream to Twitch).

Go to: