Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » paranoia again

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
paranoia again
William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Does anyone know if linux ubuntu can reboot without being made to do so by the user ?

I got a phonecall about an 2 hours ago. Noone answered. The phone was quiet.

Then about 45 minutes later I have a rest on my bed, listening to DJ Stunna from there and suddenly the music stops.

I know the whole mp3 hadn't finished but still I didn't think much of it but when I got up again and back to my monitor, the grub loading menu was up on the screen so I know the computer shutdown.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You have an uninterruptable power supply?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

AFAIK.

It's a normal one with a fan. There's two other machines connected by the same power lead to the wall and they are both still on. They might have rebooted I suppose.

One of them requires password to logon so I can plug the monitor into that one and check. (Except that the OS requires password logon every time it's left alone for more than a few minute.)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

By "uninterruptable power supply", I meant one of those things that weighs several kilos that you plug into the wall, and plug the power strip or computer components into that. When the power goes out, or even hiccups for a fraction of a second, it powers your computer off a lead-acid battery (hence the weight). I've made sure to have one for the last 15 years, although the power is much more reliable nowadays.

TL;DR I'd say your power went out for a very short time, maybe too quickly to notice lights going out for a bit.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Thanks Arthur.

I guess there's a boot record somewhere on ubuntu. That might explain why the computer rebooted. I'll try to find it.

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

Some time before i had such uncontrolled reboots on a pc. It was like a cat from animal centre, they made all possible mistakes. It had a false Ram and graphics card. I looked at http://www.3dchip.de/Grafikchipliste/Leistung_Graka.htm for the graphics card, ran MemTest and then i bought new ram and graphics card. Now its going well, like a clockwork. 8-)

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I've got no card in my machine.

The ram's always worked.

Looks like there is no event manager installed by default.

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

You can try MemTest anyway, its very small, only a little .exe. The Pc worked, it was only sometimes.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Your GRUB bootloader should have a memtest boot option to test your memory; if you see it give it a shot.

Probably just a power or memory hiccup. Linux generally isn't able to be compromised unless you leave net services running (Apache, XServer facing the net). These aren't installed/set up by default.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Overheating seems unlikely.

This machine runs a 6300 with a CNPS11X fan (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118091).

I've ran memtest all night and no problemo with the memory was found although the test hadn't finished.

Still no certain explanation.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

I think you missed the voice on the phone that said 7 days.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Go to: