Depot Games: Paranoid
#3 during September 2008
Links: Web Site
Number of Players:
Paranoid is an Arkanoid clone with a very retro feel. Greenish arcady graphics at low resolution (emulated) and vertical scanlines, bleepy sound effects and chip music will all take you back at least 15 years. This version has 40 levels of increasing difficulty and plenty of powerups. Source code is included.
Pentium 2 @ 266MHz
gfx card that can do 640x480 @ 8bpp
sound card optional
Note: this version is almost complete, all it needs is some original music. Right now it comes with a few songs from my chiptunes collection but you can change them if you like.
* added an option to zap all balls (if they get stuck)
* some other minor fixes
* fixed a nasty little bug that would make the ball get stuck "behind" a wall sometimes
* some other minor bugfixes
* minor bugfixes
* slightly modified sound effects
Overall Rating: 8.1
- This game features great and challenging gameplay. The graphics have a unique feel to them which adds to the atmosphere of the game. Also features nice retro sounds. An overall excellent game.
- This is a good example of retro-styled gaming awesomeness. I love the demo-stylish feel of this game! The game itself is also good implementation of akanoid. The only thing I would improve would to make it easier to see if drops are good or bad. One thing about the drops though is that they drop down the screen at a reasonable speed, unlike some other akanoid clones. This is really fun! I reccomend it to everyone, plus it has a great selection of mods from the modarchives.
- Clever use of the scanline effect, but it's nice that it can be disabled. This is very solid, if no frills, remake of breakout. Mouse control would be an excellent addition, bringing more skill, precision, and playability to the game (even the classic breakout games used trackballs!).