Depot Games: Naughts and Crosses
Links: Web Site
, Project page
, Ubuntu repository info
Number of Players:
2 (Turn Based (Local))
A simple tic-tac-toe game - with a twist. There's an extra mode designed to add a bit of strategy to the proceedings. It was originally written for the console, but has since undergone a minor rewrite to use the Allegro library. Classic-style tic-tac-toe is here, with one and two player modes, as well as variable AI difficulty and board sizes. A variant of the game is also available to play, where each player only has a limited amount of stones which have to be moved around to create a line.
* Added check in configure script when compiling from source to ensure that Allegro 4.2.0 development libraries are installed.
* Added additional "kill screen" function to ensure that the desktop resolution is restored when the game exits (I hope!)
* All files except jamyskissound.wav are checked for their existence and the game aborts with a proper error message and exits cleanly if need be. jamyskissound.wav is simply not played if absent, as it is not crucial to the game.
* The game can now be installed properly to any directory from a source install.
* Included sample to go with Jamyskis logo.
* Added scrolling background.
* Added new game mode "arcade mode", whereby the player is rewarded based on speed and technique.
* AI completely rewritten, as it was getting bulky, unwieldy and was still full of bugs.
* New title screen.
* 20 difficulty levels instead of 10.
* Game now exits properly, only exits when requested.
* Fixed several AI bugs.
* Made it impossible to replace stone in the same square that player (or AI)
* Difficulty level system changed to make more sense - lower number now mean
* Added "Designed for Linux" screen :-p
* Bug fixes, mainly related to installing from source on Linux.
* Added scrolly background.
* AI fixes.
* New "arcade mode".
* Added new graphics engine, with the possibility of
replacing the graphics, perhaps themes later on when
level system is implemented. This includes proper
graphics (256 colour) for the board and a centered
* Changed resolution to 800x600, to allow for higher
* Made it possible to change the colour of the text when
entering it as a parameter to the function.
* Fixed bug whereby cursor colour was inconsistent when
* Further AI optimisations.
* AI further fine tuned.
* Added command line functionality, ability to select fullscreen or windowed mode.
* AI now definitely fixed.
* Readded drawn game detection.
* Added "entry invalid" message to the main game window (was previously in
* Fixed bug relating to file loader.
I'm 25 years old, I work as a translator and English teacher, living in the good ol' city of Paderborn here in Germany. In my spare time I like to program (obviously, else I wouldn't be here), write poetry and generally get out and about. (View Profile