Depot Games: Allegro Minigame Collection
#2 during October 2009
Links: Web Site
A collection of small fun games written by various authors. New games can be added very easily as plugins (.dll on Windows, .so on Linux). The host program is written with the MASkinG GUI library and handles all the basics, like double buffering, gathering input, game configuration, high scores, etc. Three games are included with the basic package.
All downloads, Windows binary and source as well as other games are available on the project website.
||Windows Binary & Source Code
||05/29/2007 3:23 PM
* fixed a nasty little bug that would continuously display the high score dialog on game over on slower machines (and less often on faster ones)
* added the "Play Again" option to the game over menu so that it isn't necessary to go back to the back menu to play again; Note: some games may not work properly with this option if they don't clean up after themselves properly when the game is over!
* added options to cap graphics framerate; Set the target framerate to a lower value to reduce CPU usage at the expense of animation smoothness.
* bugfix: The readme.txt box would sometimes crash after changing skins.
* bugfix: Mouse wouldn't work in a game if it chose to draw its own cursor.
* started adding some support for online playing (not functional yet)
* reorganized the main menu into tabs
* added IGame::SetGamePath() to let the games know where they are located so they know where to look for their data instead on having to rely on assumptions about the path (note: all games need to be recompiled!)
* made the highscore dialog remember your name
* added a readme.txt reader for the games that come with a readme.txt
* added some error checking to make sure some common errors are caught and reported
* fixed a bug that would make you get the game over / highscore dialogs indefinately
* added targetFrameRate and set it to 50 by default to help slower computers and those who don't want to use 100% of CPU all the time
* restructuring of the games - now each game has its own directory
* some preliminary work on supporting net play
* changed game settings - now you can make checkboxes, sliders and dropdown listboxes instead of just sliders
* FPS now actually draws even on white background
Overall Rating: 8.7
10Great for coding addicts like myself. Now I can make games without the hassle of creating interfaces and other "fluff."
9This is 'a' great 'games'. :) Let's get some more mini games in there.
7This would be an excilent example for introducing somone to Allegro!