Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Map?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Map?
Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

Matthew, I'm not sure if you saw my post in off-topic ordeals, so i'll repeat here...
It would be nice if you could make a table of cities and their coordinates and automatically place every member on the map. Members would only need to enter their country/city (which most have, though not all are correct).

Avenger
Member #4,550
April 2004

Stevie: It sounds reasonable:)

EDIT: I am placed about 5 pixels right from my real location>:(

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Steve: I have no plans to ever do that.

Avenger: You had your longtitude at 11.3, when Oslo is is at 10.7. It still is probably off by a pixel, but don't expect 100% accuracy when the map itself is not scaled properly. (Every 15 degrees east and west varies from 55 to 60 pixels.)

Soga
Member #4,589
May 2004

Sir, the map doesn't seem to work for me. When I click the link, it simply takes me to the home page. ???

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Are you logged in your account? http://www.allegro.cc/members/map-update.php works fine enough for me.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

Quote:

Steve: I have no plans to ever do that.

Why not? It seems like quite a small effort compared to what you've done so far. Why not get the most out of the map? If you like, I can even build a text file of every city and its latitude/longitude converted from degrees/minutes/seconds to decimal numbers.

Soga
Member #4,589
May 2004

Thanks! It works now.

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

No, please don't do any list of cities. It's bad, because: 1. Only big cities will be covered, which will discriminate people living in small ones. 2. People should prefer to enter the coordinates of their apartment, not the center of the city. Having such a list may stop them from finding out such coordinates. 3. There is already possibility to just click to the map if you don't want to find your lat/long.

If ML has time, there are sure better things he could do:

Forum habitants map. People who are more active on the forum get bigger circle (or more fancy colored one).

Creators map. Ones who have their projects in depot get bigger circle.

Flamers map. Ones who are more active in 'offtopic' forum get big red circle. :)

Day/night shaded map, as of the current moment.

Virtual day/night map. The shading is not depending on just time of day, but on the amount of activity on the forum that usually happens in that area in this particular time. :)

How's that? ;)

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."
- Lunabean's Thief Deadly Shadows Walkthrough, day eight

Pradeepto Bhattacharya
Member #1,340
May 2001

Quote:

We have two Asians: one in Japan (though if you hover over it it says RU, which I guess is Russia...) and another in Hong Kong

Is that so, Oscar ? How cold you forget your good old friend from India? :(

--
I vote for Pradeepto. - Richard Phipps
Hey; Pradeepto's alive! - 23yrold3yrold

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I believe he classifies you as african ;)

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Pradeepto Bhattacharya
Member #1,340
May 2001

Ya we do need some Africans out here on this site.

--
I vote for Pradeepto. - Richard Phipps
Hey; Pradeepto's alive! - 23yrold3yrold

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

I think the map should display phone numbers. I like calling people.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

Would you call someone even if they lived in Australia?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Oooh! Me first!

210-739-0201!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

When does it update? I've entered my dot, and nothing for the past 10 min or so.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Quote:

Is that so, Oscar ? How cold you forget your good old friend from India?

I swear you weren't in the map when I checked it :-[ Though the points were very small, too :P I was only counting people that appeared in the map :) The number of Asians has increased since then from 2 to 5 :)

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Quote:

The number of Asians has increased since then from 2 to 5 :)

I count 3 1/2 - Kirr, Pradeepto, juvinious, and possibly "Goemon99" ("possibly" because he simultaneously, according to the rollover, claims he lives in the US). Torbjörn doesn't really live in Novosibirsk :)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Eradicor
Member #2,992
December 2002

Why am i seeing.. .dots which state that their owners are from US and they are located in RUS..?

| Visit The site |
{Creating realms from dreams since 1995}

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Either they haven't updated their profile yet, or they are invading Russia!!!

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Not sure if anyone needs such a thing or if its all that accurate but I found this and this.

Woo. and those two urls sure are interesting in them selves.. 96 and 69. 69 happens to be a favorite number of mine ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

Why would anyone want to get accurate down to their apartment/house? Do you realise how large an area one pixel represents?

The reason for my request is simply to remove the redundancy. Why enter your location twice?

Quote:

Diana, you can have my phone number if you really want it. ;D

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Quote:

Why would anyone want to get accurate down to their apartment/house? Do you realise how large an area one pixel represents?

I guess Tokyo takes more than one pixel even on current map. And ML was mentioning scalable maps in future. Also someone mentioned continent maps. All these things make it meaningful to have precise coordinates. It is future-compatible.

Accurate coordinates can make some nice features possible in future, like calculation of distance between you and any other a.cc habitant. If the coordinates are precise, two people living in the same town will still be able to know how far they are from each other. But if both just enter the same coordinates, because they live in the same city, the distance will be 0.

If the coordinates are correct, I can just take GPS and come to visit someone else here.. On his birthday. ;D But I'm not sure everyone will like this idea.

If you want this city-list so much, why don't you start by constructing such list (city<->coordinates). Put it online somewhere and let people see.. Who knows may be it's really good and everyone else will want this feature also.

Quote:

The reason for my request is simply to remove the redundancy. Why enter your location twice?

Then there will be no these funny things like Torbjörn invading Novosibirsk (my hometown) ? No way. :P

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."
- Lunabean's Thief Deadly Shadows Walkthrough, day eight

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2496427.stm said:

34% of Americans know the tiny Marquesas Islands, where the last season of reality TV show "Survivor" was filmed, is located in the South Pacific. But only 30% could point to the location of New Jersey.

Geesh.

------------
Radagar - So your vote is for A.D.H.D.?
Chris Katko - Well, that was uninten--ooh kitty!

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

Steve++ said:

Diana, you can have my phone number if you really want it.

:(

Credit card and pin number would be more useful...

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

wearetheborg said:

Credit card and pin number would be more useful..

I thought we knew you better than that :(

Go to: