Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » NASA

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
NASA
Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

I'm just bewildered by the ammount of money and time NASA spends on making sure their missions are safe. Due to the Colombia disaster we've basically redone the entire shuttle tank and took two years to get back on track. The problem is that you cannot make anything foolproof, you can better your odds of a successful liftoff/return but if you think about it space and reentry are very dangerous, one of the most dangerous things to do. The shuttles are very aged and continue to get older and older as well. I know NASA did what it had to do due to govt and public outcry, but you can't erase what happened either. I think the money should of been spent to design and make a new modern shuttle, or at least replace the one we lost. We are down to I think 3 shuttles now? I'm just curious what everyone else thinks... I'm just glad that finally a private sector of possible space flights may be taking shape... NASA just has too much to deal with.

Also what do you think about Hubble... it's old as well. In fact there is good reason to just let it slowly die because there are plans for a much better telescope that will operate at a much lower cost than Hubble. Everyone is attached to Hubble though, I guess it's like a name brand or something, if it's not Hubble we don't care or something. Who knows though we may send up the newer telescope only to have it fail... then we will be without a space telescope for a long long time.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

I agree, NASA should have spent the money on designing a better shuttle. But the gov't doesn't seem to care too much about space exploration as of late, which is very bad since we need new sources of minerals/etc.

As for the hubble, it can be upgraded and kept in use along with any other telescope they send up.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

I disagree that the govt doesn't seem to care, proposals of rovers and another manned mission to the moon are on the agenda, we will also probably see rovers on Titan and a manned mission to mars in our lifetime... hopefully.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Those aren't signs that they care. Sending missions out simply to look for data is pointless right now. We need missions that will actually be good for us. Take the moon, from what I know the moon has big deposits of titanium among other minerals. We need to establish mining bases on the moon as soon as possible for minerals and as a ready made space station.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Quote:

We need to establish mining bases on the moon as soon as possible

Shouldn't we rather be dealing with issues on Earth? Like, world peace and stuff? Just imagine a world without armies... the titanium we have here would definitely last longer...

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

World peace will never happen... sorry to sound so pesimistic :P

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

Conquering the moon or whatever you want to call it will surely just make things here worse. I just don't know about this developing outside of Earth thingy, sounds too futurestic or something :-/

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Earth isn't going to get any better so might as well mess up other planets/moons in the process no? More minerals = more money/greed/wars = good thing :P

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

It costs so much money and resources to put a rocket into space. So how will mining the moon prove profitable?

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

The constant flow of minerals to take over other countries and their resources?

Besides, if that space elevator takes shape, the cost of going to the moon will go down a lot.

Avenger
Member #4,550
April 2004

Who are "we"????

EDIT: Slight correction

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

The whole idea behind a moon base is this:
It takes a lot of fuel to do a round trip to any planet in our solar system. Not only does the craft have to carry enough fuel to lift off from earth, it also has to have enough to break orbit of the planet and return home. A moon base will allow fuels to be produced at a closer distance, it's like having a gas station in the middle of the desert, you wouldn't want to risk driving the entire way you may run out of gas. Also the moons gravity is much less than on earth so having an orbital gas station above the moon is certainly a good/cheap idea. We mine the fuel and send tankers to the station. A rocket blasts off from earth and passing the moon refuels with enough fuel and resources to say make it to mars and continues on to mars. On mars the craft lands and sets up another base. That base then converts martian resources to rocket fuel as well allowing the craft enough fuel/supplies to make it back. The point is that you break up the resources so that you don't have to carry everything needed for the mission at once.

Aigh that space elevator plan... I dunno about that I mean really, you would have to declare air space and have one hell of an anchor point :P

Avenger? Who are you refering to?

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

They should give about 5-25$ billion to develop a space elevator. The cost of getting stuff to space would get down 100-1000 times if not more.

For the money US spent on Iraq war we could have had colonies on Mars in next decade.

I think most countries should invest more money in science. It pays off in the long run. Too bad everybody want to get rich immediately:-/

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Money is the reason for our demise :P

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Shouldn't we rather be dealing with issues on Earth?

You will never establish reunion with Earth if you don't colonize the moon as soon as possible...

(Vague Amiga game reference.)

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Quote:

For the money US spent on Iraq war we could have had colonies on Mars in next decade.

Apparenlty, sacrificing your citizens and spreading "democracy" is more important than keeping your country alive and advanced.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

People are different(wealth, belief). Different people can't live together in peace. They can try but it won't last forever.

Only thing that might look like peace is when bigger countries occupy smaller ones and make them a part of them. Then wars between countries will end but internal problems will rise. It's just like Tchecheny and Russia. Russia occupied Tchecheny some time ago and "ended" the war that way. They gave allmost the same reason for doing it as US gave for their wars: fighting terrorists.

Hopefully Estonia won't be occupied by russians or US for me talking like this:D

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

Bush might call you a terrorist.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

SSC: Don't say this name.
Back to topic: I think that USA lost only two shuttles. Those which left can still provide services I think and I've aslo heard that they're modernised through the time. Yes I also agree that it's good idea to build new spacecraft. And for that moon base. It's important to have some kind of orbital base over Earth and on that base build spacecraft capable of landing on moon.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

The Columbia accident occurred because NASA had never considered insulating foam to be a threat to the shuttle. Intsy-tintsy foam and space-age alloy leading edge, who would've thought it? So they redesigned the tank to get the shuttle going again.

Redesigning the tank was orders of magnitude cheaper than building a replacement.

The shuttle will be retired when the ISS is finished (international space station). That will be ~2010.

Nasa has put a request for proposals for the shuttle successor; the CEV. They are scheduled to have a 'fly-off' like the f-22 and joint strike fighter competitions in 2008. The CEV is supposed to an Apollo/Soyuz type of capsule. The CEV is going to be a primary building block of future manned space exploration.

The shuttle, although cool and worth alot of propaganda currency during the cold war was a turn down a wrong road. The system is just to complex to become the cheaply operated space-truck that was envisioned.

The Hubble: In My Opinion the hubble should be scrapped. Land based telescopes (the European Souther Observatory) get better pictures using 'adaptive optics'. The hubble was great, revolutionary, but it's time is passed. A mission to repair the Hubble would cost ~ $1 billion; that's alot even for a shuttle mission. It served us well, we should just let it go. On ward and upward.

Quote:

It costs so much money and resources to put a rocket into space. So how will mining the moon prove profitable?

One kilometer diameter nickel/iron asteroid contains $10 trillion + of material.

Quote:

They should give about 5-25$ billion to develop a space elevator. The cost of getting stuff to space would get down 100-1000 times if not more.

The technology for the space elevator is not ready yet and may never be. The entire feasibility of the thing hinges on making carbon nanotube polymers. It's not known if thats even possible yet.

Quote:

you would have to declare air space and have one hell of an anchor point

Net weight at the ground would be zero ;) .

Quote:

Shouldn't we rather be dealing with issues on Earth? Like, world peace and stuff?

Die hippy scum! ;D

My question for you guys is; wtf do you do on the internet? You sure as h3ll don't read or research anything.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

The shuttle, although cool and worth alot of propaganda currency during the cold war was a turn down a wrong road. The system is just to complex to become the cheaply operated space-truck that was envisioned.

Absolutely. It's also quite a bit larger than it has to be, because they wanted it to be able to carry a lot of cargo. It was a niceprestige project, but in the long run, it has slowed things down.
Same for going to the moon: the scientific value of the moon missions was rather small, it was a publicity stunt. Science would have been better served by placing a firm foothold in space first.

Quote:

The Hubble: In My Opinion the hubble should be scrapped. Land based telescopes (the European Souther Observatory) get better pictures using 'adaptive optics'. The hubble was great, revolutionary, but it's time is passed. A mission to repair the Hubble would cost ~ $1 billion; that's alot even for a shuttle mission. It served us well, we should just let it go. On ward and upward.

While it functions, use it. Orbital telescopes have their uses, especially in infra red and gamma ray observations (which the Hubble of course doesn't do).
That said, the Hubble is pretty much obsolete. When ESO's VLTI (Very Large Telescope Interferometer) becomes fully operational, the resulting pictures will blow away the Hubble completely. Face it, ESO is taking over ;D

Quote:

Shouldn't we rather be dealing with issues on Earth? Like, world peace and stuff?

Actually, no, we shouldn't. You can never tell what good science will bring to mankind. Beside which, that statement presumes that effort that is being spend doing research could be spend as easily on finding world peace.

This reminds me of a letter I read in a magazine the other day: someone wrote that `scientists' should stop researching physics and astronomy and do something useful for a change, `like cure cancer'. As if science were not so specialized that you can't even fully comprehend what your colleague across teh corridor is doing, let alone someone in an unrelated discipline. That said, I think people in general don't really understand how a science facility operates... I'm reading Dan Brown's Angels & Demons and, well... ::)
ahem sorry...

Carrus85
Member #2,633
August 2002

Well, building on the moon would save us a lot, theoretically. First of all, since the atomosphere is next to non-existant, it would be next to zero enviromental impact to launch anything from the moon. Also, you could build massive objects and only have to expend a fraction of the energy to reach escape velocity of the moon's gravity. Space exploration would take off rather quickly if we were to colonize the moon. I mean, consider that the moon would be much easier to lanuch stuff from, and you wouldn't have to ship everything elsewhere. For energy, you could even use nuclear power, and jettison the excess into the sun via a railgun. (much less power and effort would be needed to get rid of wastes). Either that, or you could quarentine an entire portion of the moon for nuclear waste storage. You don't have to worry about local's complaining, because it is nowhere near them. ;D

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

I'm reading Dan Brown's Angels & Demons and, well... ::)

I made an honost effort to read that book but it was horrendous and I had to stop after the first 100 pages. That guy made millions from 'The DaVinci Code' which I haven't read. If its alot better than 'angels and demons' it STILL blows. Reading drivel like that makes me think I could be a writer. I was so disgusted by that book I just can't describe it.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Beh, I find the story (of Angels&Demons) easy to read, but it's no more than fast food. The way the plot is build up is simple and implausable and the way to create suspense is simply insulting ('... He looked up in horror as he heard the name.' next chapter, which contains only two paragraphs return to previous character some arbitrary unit of time later and reveal the name to the reader in fifty pages).
It's fine for fast food, but I'm seriously considering selling the book on e-bay or giving it away after I've finished it.
The DeVinci code has a plot that is follows more or less the same setup, as far as I've been able to tell upto now. Again, it's easy to digest fastfood, but not really worth the hype that surrounds it. And of course, Dan Brown makes it abundantly clear that he doesn't actually have a clue as to what he's talking about, and his linguistic arrogance (insisting English is the purest language in the world) doesn't help. I hear they're making a movie about it, which I'll probably see for the sole reason that Audrey Tautout plays the female lead (or that's what I've heard anyway).

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Quote:

One kilometer diameter nickel/iron asteroid contains $10 trillion + of material.

and that same asteroid would do about the same amount in damage (estimated at 2x the cost of buying Britain. Yes, our government got a quote from the auctioneers) if it landed on Earth unannounced. There are several thousand asteroids at least this size in Earth-crossing orbits.

1   2 

Go to: