Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » VS.NET 2003 project file for allegro

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
VS.NET 2003 project file for allegro
tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Finally I got a copy of allegro built with a project file. Currently I don't like the directories, but I can easily debug into allegro's coding now.

If there's interest I would like to know how I can contribute this to the official allegro distribution. Please send mail to tobing at gmx dot net.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

See the PM I just send you.

A J
Member #3,025
December 2002

i would be interseted in this project files..
can you make it available via web page or something ?

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

When it is done and in the right shape, I'll publish it, maybe here. If it is any good, it might even become part of the allegro distribution, but I have to do some work until then.

A J
Member #3,025
December 2002

if you need someone to test it, i will help (after jan15).

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

First version is now attached. Place the vcproj-file in the allegro folder. First build allegro the usual way, using the makefile. This will build some required files like asmdef.inc, and will also build the docs. Then you can use the VS.NET project to rebuild the libraries (debug and release) and debug them and use them. I have included custom build steps to compile the .s-files using gcc, so you have to include a path to your gcc in the devstudios options: Tools -> Options -> Projects -> VC++ Directories.

To build the generated files also, the devstudio would need further projects to build these files. There would also be project files necessary for the demos and example programs, one for each exe file. Maybe I'll create one as an example some day.

There might be updates to this project file, maybe I can improve something or add some more things which can be built.

A J
Member #3,025
December 2002

i am extremely busy until jan14th, i will take a look at it then, and most likely give it a full review.

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Never mind. Probably I'll have some updates until then, which I'll also post here. Good luck with your projects!

A J
Member #3,025
December 2002

i hope you have it sorted by then !!!!!
saves me from doing it ;>

i want to be able to do a full allegro build in MSVC without going to a DOS box at all, will the pre/post build steps be complete enough to do that ?

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

This will build some required files like asmdef.inc, and will also build the docs.

It should be possible (in principle) to generate asmdefs.inc from within the project file, should it not?
It's probably ok to not have it build all examples, tools and demo though. If we just have one that builds, say, exhello and documentation, that should be fine IMO.
Actually, I'm not so sure about the grabber - you'd probably want to have that aswell, but the building instructions for it are quite complicated. Would it be feasable to just call make from the project file and be done with it? :P

Anyway, great work! Keep it up. I hope we can put this in 4.2...

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

I'll look into it. Usually to generate files which others use as a dependancy you need an extra project, and this is especially true if there is another exe involved. This definitely means that I would need an extra project file for each example, the grabber, and maybe the docu.

For now I'm not sure if I really want to build such complete project files anyway. For me it would be sufficient to be able to build the allegro lib itself to use in my program, so I can debug into it, learn about details and maybe apply some changes. For everything else I would stick to using the makefile.

Of course you can have a project just making a makefile. But that would not help very much, because this cannot help you debugging any source files. And to generate the docs, I can see no point in having a project file for this. Using the makefile seems to be very well for this.

A J
Member #3,025
December 2002

so you plan is not to create a build solution for inclusion in the allegro distribution ?
its just so you can compile allegro code directly into your own projects, for debugging purposes ?

this makes alot of sense, it also (due to MSVC7's optimzing compiler) means far better chance of 'whole program optimization' doing a better job, it might even improve the speed of many smaller allegro functions.

these project files are now more important than i originally thought... this could work out to be the biggest improvement in allegros (windows) development in a long long time!

please continue this, i will be in full help mode after jan14th.

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Thx for your support, AJ.

Go to: