Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » More LD48: Peanut Butter Spreading Simulator

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More LD48: Peanut Butter Spreading Simulator
Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Well, everyone else is doing it (read: two people) so I might as well too.

While the title of the "assignment" for the competition was "Infection" the assignment itself was hardly limited to such, being "Make a game involving the spread of something. A virus, coffee shops, etc..." ... and I, not having any good ideas, resorted to making a top of the line Peanut Butter Spreading Simulation -- a reasonably bug-free implementation of tournament spreading.

And here we have it:
{"name":"demo.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/6\/b698c6f686df389822127f7356f0afbf.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/6\/b698c6f686df389822127f7356f0afbf"}demo.png

The winbinary+source+40dll is all in one zip file, here: The Program
Even if you don't want to own your very own copy of Peanut Butter: The Simulator, I'd love it if you could check out / comment upon the Extensive Manual, which is filled with all sorts of reliable information you probably never knew about peanut butter spreading, the artistic sport of champions.

The controls of the game are a bit obscure for those who can't read, so you might also like to have handy this quick usage guide:

KEY_LEFT && KEY_RIGHT: Rotate knife
KEY_UP && KEY_DOWN: Move knife up/down screen
mickeys(x : Move knife side-to-side
mickeys(, y : Move knife forward/backwards
KEY_SPACE: Hold to charge dippage meter, release to plop an amount of butter on the bread proportional to the amount of dippage displayed on the meter.
KEY_ENTER: Declare yourself finished, and check out your score -- sorry about it being hard to read -- be shown the highscore table, and then restart with a fresh slice.
KEY_ESC: Quit

Anyway, was good fun to make, even if not to play. Comments of all natures welcome.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

interesting. I got 68, but not until after I punctured 8 slices of bread. I recommend it.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Absolutely the most brilliant game ever!!!

--
sig used to be here

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

Mhuaha, that is one fun game! Well done!

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Great game! Scored 94! :)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Yay and thanks, all!

And Etwinox: You're a better man than I :)
You'd think having written the algorithm for spreading AND the grading heuristic would give me an edge, but I haven't gotten anything above the low 80s, heh.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I've been competing in Peanut Butter Spread Contests for years now and this has to be absolutely the most accurate simulation I've seen yet. Well done!

My top score is 91.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

That is hilarious :D
Very well done, too. I was surprised. Good job, heh..
I love how you need to tell people where the bread is, haha.. ;D

I made it to 75 :P

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

A funny idea, but not that hard. I got 101 on the 3rd try or so. I lost cuase I slipped in my chair and moved my mouse hand suddenly :P. Maybe you should add things like little worms eating the peanut butter as you spread it, or you have to move your knife to pick some more peanut butter from the jar before you can continue to spread. Otherwise once you have the knife positioned correctly, its not much of a challenge to keep it there.

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

I like the knife-movement concept -- that would allow for localized application of peanut butter as well, which is cool :)

Not sure about the worms though -- sounds gross, and besides, I don't think a real peanut butter spreading competition would accept entries with worms in.

Edit: And yes, on replaying it a bit, it doesn't seem too hard to get a 100-range score.

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Cool concept and cool use of the theme. :)

Maybe next version would use voxel rendering? :)

Go to: