Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » TINS: suggest rules & more

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
TINS: suggest rules & more
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

It's only 10 more days to go before the start of TINS, at this time 14 people have signed up, so it looks like it's going to be a nice event.

This thread has two goals: to collect more rules for the rule-o-matic, and to get some feedback on the TINS site. I will have time in the coming days to make a few more improvements. If you have a particular feature request, then please let me know here.

On to the rules. I can always use a few more. As you know, the rules for the rule-o-matic come in three categories: Genre, Artistical, and Technical. And then there are also bonus rules, that usually work by modifying or replacing another rule.

I'll start things off:

Genre:

• A sandbox game

• A game to improve the world somehow

• shmup (shoot-em-up)

• Dungeons and / or Dragons

• Larger than life

• Turn-based

Art:

• Your game must have birds & bees

• Include a Latin phrase, word, or name

• Employ Manga art-style

Technical:

• Your game must include a (recognizable) tutorial

• Go beyond three dimensions (Example: in Fez, your companion is a 4-dimensional hypercube)

Bonus:

• Act of the social network - You may omit a single rule, but you must share / retweet / like your competitors entries, at least a dozen times in total. You may call on your followers on social media for help in achieving this.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

K, here's my go:

Genre:

• Your game must involve fantasy and escapism. No mundane work sims allowed!

• Your game should be based on a sport of some kind. Mini-putt, soccer, chess, javelin throwing. Any sport, real or not, is permitted.

• Your game must involve growing, building, developing, or nurturing something over time.

Art:

Technical:

• Game must be in a large open world.

• Your game must include procedural content. Bonus points if procedural generation is used to create the gameplay environment.

• Your music must change as the action or gameplay changes. If the gameplay becomes more intense, pump that music! If it slows down, let the music chill.

• Your game should involve crafting or combining items in some way.

Bonus:

• Act of Isolation - You will gain enormous points if you can institute multiplayer online play.

• Test of Might - You may modify one word in any rule if your code contains integration or unit test coverage. (Best C++ testing library is Google Test).

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

That's a really nice palette there! Site bookmarked.

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

Genre:

Art:

• Adobe Flash lookalike - make everything look like it was drawn with the paint tool.

• Undertale battle palette - white-on-black only, except for special effects.

Technical:

• No RNG allowed at all.

Bonus:

• Act of Brainfuck: you may omit any one rule if your game is written (or includes scripting in) an esoteric language.

• Act of Sonic Boom: you may omit any one rule if every in-game event is accompanied by an annoying scripted vocal sample.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I was just spinning the old speedhack rule-o-matic a few times for inspiration, here's some I've come up with:

Genre:

• Aftermath
    The game should start where they usually end - for example what happens after the villain/war/final-level/princess/... is defeated/won/reached/saved/....

• Global Pandemic
    The game should be about one.

Art:

Technical:

• Testing
    The game should have a hidden test/debug feature, for example something that lists all game entities or shows all collision circles or even just lists the number of displayed bitmaps or vertices

• Dialog
    The game should include some dialog.

Bonus:

• Act of desperation
    You may omit any one rule if you run out of time to implement it.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Color palettes are very common theme I see ;) :P

Elias said:

Act of desperation - You may omit any one rule if you run out of time to implement it.

Oh man, that's a good one.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Elias said:

Act of desperation
You may omit any one rule if you run out of time to implement it.

Wait, what? I'm confused... :P

Quote:

Global Pandemic
The game should be about one.

Seems like it would make a good theme for a game. But for Ludum Dare, a lot of theme suggestions were corona-related, and they subsequently all got eliminated in the voting rounds. I think most people don't want to make a game about current events.

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

Yeah I'm bored to tears of discussing coronavirus at this point. Dead meme.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I submitted this to r/showerthoughts on reddit that was automatically banned for being a common thought. The link to the reason was the default "reasons for removal" and in huge bold letters it said... well, here's a screenshot.

--

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Harsh! But yes, that's exactly what I meant

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Genre:
Smashup - combine any two common genres. Puzzle RTS? Sure! Tetris Platformer? Great! Racing Fighter? You bet!

Art:
Wireframe - no area can be filled with any color besides whatever color is chosen as the background.

Technical:
GO Forward - you can never return to any part of your game.

Bonus:
Act of Speedhack within a Speedhack - you can remove one rule if you submit your last entry 24 hours before the competition is over.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Bonus:

Act of "Cool Story, Bro": skip one rule by explaining how totally awesome the idea was that you were going to implement but unfortunately didn't have time for...

(It's a variation on the act of desperation)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

That would be me in the last hack.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Genre
Victorian (kings, queens, serfs, etc...)
Gothic (vampires, castlevania, etc...)
Medieval (castles, knights, lords, etc...)
Fantasy (can't be real)

Art
Mountains in background
Flowing water
Moving clouds

Technical
Layers
Parallax
Shader must be used

Bonus
Add an additional rule to gain an additional day of hack time.???

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Somebody pointed out to me that I accidentally left the size limit in rule 2 on 400kb. My intention was to set it at 5Mb, just like in TINS 2017, and award the retro badge to entries that manage to stay under 400kb.

I just updated the rules. Hopefully nobody is inconvenienced by this last minute change.

(Of course this is for source code. Binaries may be as big as you can host yourself).

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Genre:

- Butt sex

Art:
- Art of Butt sex

Technical:

- Technical mechanics involving butt sex.

Bonus:
- Bonus round involving butt sex

These better be in the picker.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Somebody pointed out to me that I accidentally left the size limit in rule 2 on 400kb. My intention was to set it at 5Mb, just like in TINS 2017, and award the retro badge to entries that manage to stay under 400kb.

If we had a downloader and downloaded asset files in-game does this count?

--

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

If we had a downloader and downloaded asset files in-game does this count?

I guess that's ok as long as you provide an offline fallback. I once saw a speedhack entry that included low-fi sound files, but immediately started downloading hi-fi versions.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

The rules are still not clear to me, why each one sets their own rules? Who is it for?

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

They are suggesting rules to be added to the rule's generator. The final set of rules will be made public in the TINS website when the competition starts.

Be more creative than me and throw some suggestions yourself! They could end up being part of the official rules and restrictions.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Woo gettin hyped!!

I got two extra days around the weekend off from work so I can do the hazxxx!!!

--

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Genero:
- Gore (lots of blood)
- Dead (zombies or massacres)
- Terror
- Retro game (In the style of the 80s, 90s)
- Exploration and search

Art:
- Scenes that make you sweat with fear
- Palette of Atari 2600
- Toggle between B&W (Not gray) and Colors according to the course of the game, as a bonus, combo, or as part of the game.
- You have to include swords, spears, bows, or any other weapon with your best artistic sense.

Tecnicas:
- Division of objects (they are duplicated) and / or Spawn of objects (they are created), must be part of the game
- 3 or more difficulty levels
- Have gravity at different points in the game
- Include a Menu, we all love a nice menu
- Include Particles or lights
- Include a secret Bonus
- Make the visual 3D in the game
- Animations in the characteristics or states

Bonus:
- Rainbow of Friends: You can omit a rule in exchange for replacing weapons and violence in the game with love and friendship.
- Symphony of Exchange: (Only in the last 24 hours) You can replace a ruler (only for Art) in exchange for an Anime music as background.
- I'm Fixed!: (only for the Techniques) Take 2 rules and create a coherent rule using your word mix, you can discard up to 5 words and there must always be at least one, the new rule replaces the previous 2.
- Act of Self-Destruction: Discard 5 rules and then cry on the forum and on social media that you are a losser for 1 whole week.

Ok, you can drop the last bonus, it's ridiculous. At least it has served as a joke... ;D

EDIT ==========================

I could think of some more for the Bonus, but they were incomplete or not working. It is difficult when there is little to offer within 3 days and after 3 days.

EDIT ==========================

Art:
- Includes one or more graffiti in the game.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

RmBeer2 said:

- Retro game (In the style of the 80s, 90s)

I'm not sure what you mean by this as a genre element.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

90s is super nintendo, sonic, street fighter, doom, arnold, terminator 2
wolfenstein.

80 is nes, mario, bubble bobble, duck hunt, donkey kong, pac man, manuals, amigas.

--

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

80 is nes, mario, bubble bobble, duck hunt, donkey kong, pac man, manuals, amigas.

You missed the mighty Rescue on Fractalus.

video

1   2 

Go to: