Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Woe is me

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Woe is me
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Wow is me my laptop hinge broke and now I need to replace the monitor and the lid. What can I do?

{"name":"611802","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/4\/e479483f637aaa7c79f06679f8f76e23.jpg","w":4096,"h":3072,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/4\/e479483f637aaa7c79f06679f8f76e23"}611802

EDIT
It works, but I can't take it anywhere. I've got it hooked up to my tv right now.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Best thing to do is to use it as it is. Buying spare parts may cost you the price of a news recent one.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

^^^

I've done this multiple times. It's never cost effective. If the hinge is broken, it has destroyed the CASE itself 99 times out of 100. The bottom case sells for half the price of a used laptop. Like $80.

You now own a non-portable laptop.

You "can" open it up, and use gel glue and build a foundation and "fix" it a bit. But yeah, it's gone.

HOWEVER, you can easily fix the monitor cable. The cable goes next to the hinge and when the hinge goes it pinches the cable. You can get a new cable for relatively cheap and fix that.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

I tinkered/fixed my parent's laptop that had a similar accident by getting rid of the spring mechanism, and putting back as much of the hinge as I could into place. The other hinge now gets all the effort of keeping the screen in fixed position (-50% resistance), but at least the presence of a second joint avoids straining the working hinge in the wrong direction.
Check how much stress the other hinge receives when you open/close the screen slightly: if the case seems to bend, this is bad and likely to break as soon, splitting another part of the case. In this case I'd try to remove the other spring as well : The screen will no longer be able to stand by itself, but at least opening/closing won't break anything more.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

see if you can get your hands on a plastic weilder i fixed something like this befor for my ace girl

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

ZoriaRPG
Member #16,714
July 2017

...or weld a metal shock case.

I'm thinking of making a hybrid laptop from a spare Dell e6420/i5, by welding up a metal case, pu8tting in a switch-based mechaqnical KB, and a micro trackball, for that grand old retro appeal.

Legitimately though, you could justbuy a metal hinge at a hardware store, and epoxy it over the broken hinge area, after surgically removing the dead hinge assembly. It'd probably outlast the logic board.

Go to: