Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » 2018 World Cup

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
2018 World Cup
Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Isn't this an obligatory thread? I might as well open it.

Sweden vs. Germany. 1 - 0 at half time. Is Germany going home?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

America is the world.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I might as well open it.

I suppose you wish you hadn't now.

Eng-er-land coming up at 13:00. More disappointment predicted.

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

More disappointment predicted.

We weren't disappointed at all, though have instead chosen to be embarrassingly optimistic over our thrashing of poor Panama.

That said, I have little sympathy given the number of tantrums they threw inside the box. Clearly it's just too tempting to grab Harry Kane...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I was never exposed to the World Cup until I was positioned in a company with a lot of people from other countries (particularly, in South America and South North America). It's huge in other countries. Probably bigger than hockey in Canada. Bigger than American football in America. And it's really cool. It's also really pathetic how players fake physical contact to try get bad calls made. We've been seeing that in Ontario hockey and I think it's just disgraceful. Get up you little pansy.

Anyway, what I love about football is that it takes real skill to be good, and it's inexpensive for kids to play. At least, amateur league or just friends or whatever. You don't need to spend $100 on protective gear. Pretty much you only need a ball, which can be $5 or $50, but that's it. If you want to have more you can.

I fondly remember playing "soccer" in the middle of our school grounds where there were still trees that hadn't been cleared for a field. We just picked a set of trees for each goal, and the boundaries of trees for the bounds. It was loads of fun. That was in the lower grades.

By the time we were in the senior grades we owned the school of course and could use the real "soccer" field. But honestly that was a long way to run.. We never had enough people to make that enjoyable, even during gym class.

I don't expect any "Western" nations to do well. Certainly not Canada or the USA. It's completely overlooked by the population. I doubt there's a fraction of the funding available for the athletes that there is in Europe, South America, or Asia. Hell, maybe even in parts of Africa they'd be better funded (or at least relative to their surroundings).

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

They've just introduced video refereeing to the World Cup, which makes diving a lot more difficult. The players seem to keep forgetting this though, which means we've already seen tons of bookings where they've been caught faking. Very satisfying :)

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I suppose you wish you hadn't now.

Haha! Germany is out, Sweden continues.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I was expecting Germany to at least make the semifinals but will now cheer for Sweden on account of my IP address being there. The upcoming match against Switzerland may lead to some confusion among my fellow Americans, as many of us do not seem to realize they are, in fact, two separate nations.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

In Russian it says(left to right):

"Akinfeev" "The Russian Team"
{"name":"nFksxvm5itM.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ecb7293398aca7b87f0aa02cb29080cb.jpg","w":604,"h":453,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ecb7293398aca7b87f0aa02cb29080cb"}nFksxvm5itM.jpg

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

;D

You could say the same thing about Japan (RIP) and that one player whose name I already forgot. Also, congrats, Sweden. Next, give those English football hooligans something to riot about.

dthompson
Member #5,749
April 2005

Our performance was poor vs Columbia (even given their poor sportsmanship). Penalties are a crappy way to decide a game!

People here were celebrating like they'd won the entire thing.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I was surprised that match wasn't a blowout, actually. Colombia is a force to be reckoned with, but England has a better team than the final score shows. If England goes into their next match hungrier because of this, my server-providing Swedish friends will have little room for mistakes.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

As an Englishman born and bread, I for one am waiting for England to lose! This is making me quite unpopular with "the lads", but then I prefer golf.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I thought Englishmen were born and crumpets.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Haha, what a crumpet I am! Born and bread....

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

France plays in the final. And the French learned that it really is worth delaying the game. The player who did it got a yellow card, but practically no time were added to the game for that. >:(

Go to: