Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Camera frame

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Camera frame
Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

I'm working on a project that also usen quite heavy 2D graphics AND a camera..
( also openCV) Would it be possible to get a camera frame on an allegro bitmap ?
If so allegro 5 would be a candidate for the whole 2D stuff..

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

now we have a video playback plugin for allegro, maybe a video capture plugin could be nice...

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I would just link it with OpenCV (make it easy to use both together / OpenCV's data structs) than re-invent the wheel. It's already a super well-known library with tons of programmers and schools supporting it.

WARNING: IIRC, old OpenCV is C (which Python has bindings for), but the new OpenCV is C++ and heavily uses templates to make everything prettier so there's much fewer binding support for say, Python. They said the older OpenCV (2?) still works fine, but the new one was refactored to model "where the industry is moving" in terms of hardware.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Opencv is a bit of a beast, i think we could make something smaller and lighter ourselves, directly on theos specific api. Or maybe use a lighter video capture library.

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Thanks a lot Mark
this is exactly what I was looking for 8-)

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Go to: