Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Star Trek static link test for linux

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Star Trek static link test for linux
Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Hey everyone,
I discovered some problems with linking statically, Seems pkg-config setting was wrong. I think I solved the problem , but since I have Allegro Installed I cannot be sure it will work on other Linux computers.
Would any of you guys be willing to test it ?
Thnx..

Star Trek

You can try to destroy a Klingon base and two Battle cruisers in the home sector.. just for testing

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I tried it, worked fine for me. I managed to destroy both cruisers, but ran out of torpedoes and phasers didn't drain the stations shields fast enough.

A few comments.

- You should use ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW for fullscreen
- It'd be nice to change warp-factor without dropping out of warp
- Torpedoes should have a cooldown...

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Hey, why didn't you tell me there was a binary for Windows??? And how come you didn't update to 5.2.1.1 yet??? Did you find a solution to the KEY_CHAR problem?

It's interesting for a demo. Some things I noted are that the Klingons have lots of torpedoes, and the phasers run out of power pretty quickly. It's a good start. I haven't gotten to explore everything yet, but it's fun so far.

I'm glad to see you're making progress on this. I've been waiting for this for a while...

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Why ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW instead of ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN ? I thought the last one was the "real" fullscreen and the first is a "windowed" version.

You will be able to get new photontorpedoes from federation starbases.

@Edgar Reynaldo:
I worked around it for now by generating save names
As soon as I have a bit more time I'll switch to the last Allegro version.
( and I will probably switch to another Linux distro as well)

The universe is already filled with planets and a klingon and a romulan empire. But there is a lot to be added yet. ..
And a conversation system would open up a lot of gameplay possibillities.

Thanks...

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

tl;dr: Windowed fullscreen is better in both performance and stability. Use it, there is no penalty that I remember.

ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW is more stable than ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN. I don't know the details but it is related to the way the game will talk with the graphics card. Alt-tabbing and switching screens is better and less likely to cause unexpected bugs. Also, on 5.1 I had a nasty bug in Linux that caused a SEGFAULT whenever I used ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN instead of ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOW.

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Ok, thanks for the advice! I didn't know that ...

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

This sounds interesting... but the link sends me to an "Access Denied" error page. Could you create a new download link? I'd love to test it out!

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Go to: