Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Did any of you succeeded in release an Allegro game (for ex on Steam/Itch.io)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Did any of you succeeded in release an Allegro game (for ex on Steam/Itch.io)
anto80
Member #3,230
February 2003

Hello all.
(sorry for the typo: in releasing*)

The title says it all.

Did any of you manage ?

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

My game is not a good fit for those places, but I have released it and acquired hundreds of registered players: stemwaterspades.com

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I am aiming to get my skills up-to par and considered Steam, however with a £70 charge it would be rather risky as you could easily loose the money. Bare in mind that you have to also pass the Green Light stage before you'd be able to start selling it and making the profit.

Just a dream to do my favourite hobby as a full time job.

Are you planning on releasing one anto80?

Edit:

jmasterx said:

My game is not a good fit for those places, but I have released it and acquired hundreds of registered players: stemwaterspades.com

The screenshots look amazing! Not my type of game but it looks pretty polished if you ask me.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I think there was something that happened to cause him to leave, but Trent released a few games, the signature one being Monster RPG 2

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

I've got a (board)game on Google Play Store, and I really need to get motivated to finish off this second one and get it up, but the lack of financial return vs time invested kind of makes my motivation evaporate (especially when my main income has gone down the plug-hole).
I've also got a green-light thing going on Steam as well for a turn-based laser-squad type game, but that is under development.
I also have another couple of board games (android/linux/pc) in the pipeline and development, but they are on the back burner due to the above mentioned financial tightness.

www.justanotherturn.com

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Hey, looks like Monster 2 was greenlit only a few days ago. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Factorio is Allegro 5.

video

It's doing well, too, at least as far as the plenty of Let's Plays are concerned. But as for Steam... I thought it was (it was on Greenlight) but it looks like the devs haven't followed through into Steam yet.

[edit]

Here is another one that is on Steam... I've actually passed it by a few times not realizing it was Allegro 5.

Ghost in the Machine (Retro monochrome platformer)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/363220

And there was another guy on here who asked us about Allegro 5/Steam. I don't recall the name, but it was a turn-based, tile-based, top down, party dungeon crawler/DnD thing.

I remember he posted a video to steam that was originally very low quality so it made his game look bad by comparison. So I suggested to him that he either reupload a higher res version, or remake the primary trailer because that's the first thing people are going to see.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Not really relevant, but I'd like to mention that some interesting adventure games were released using AGS (Adventure Game Studio), for example Gemini Rue or Resonance.
AGS still uses Allegro 4. It seems they have been trying to port to A5 for quite some time, but there are A4 calls are all over the code. Some company hacked SDL into it to be able to release on recent OS X while still using A4 for lots of internal stuff.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Factorio is Agui's biggest success story hahah :P

anto80
Member #3,230
February 2003

Thanks for your answer.
With all this, I can understand that Allegro is still alive and has not to be ashamed in some shadow of Uniter, Game Maky or whatever, and this is a very optimistic message to the all Allegro.cc community :)
It's tricky for sure to develop with Allegro and C/C++, but it's still possible to create something good.

I think there was something that happened to cause him to leave, but Trent released a few games, the signature one being Monster RPG 2

Trent? Is he an allegro.cc member?

Are you planning on releasing one anto80?

I'm planning on releasing one, maybe in summer 2016.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

anto80 said:

Trent? Is he an allegro.cc member?

Trent gamblin, he surely is was a member and still is an active developer and contributor of the library.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Saw a shout-out to aseprite today - that's an allegro app: https://twitter.com/eigenbom/status/653801887628554240

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Woah that's cool. Hey it's by David Capello! :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Wow, that sprite editor looks really cool! The blog shows neat features.

Also, holy crap from that guy's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/davidcapello

Quote:

1995: Laugh when someone asks if stripping comments will speed up C/C++ code

2015: That really happens in #Nodejs
https://medium.com/@c2c/nodejs-a-quick-optimization-advice-7353b820c92e

Freaking bloody hell, is Javascript just the worst language ever designed, or what?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

Freaking bloody hell, is Javascript just the worst language ever designed, or what?

That has nothing to do with Javascript though, it's just a NodeJS quirk.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I've never managed to get a game on a famous and hyped game stream, but my little games allowed me to get my job.
Wait...
I managed to have an honorable mention in SH2015 ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

In Short: I don't have a game on Steam yet, but I'd have to REALLY screw things up somehow or really miss the mark in terms of retro interests to not get my current project through Greenlight when I go to launch in a couple or three months. ;)

---

In Long:

I'm in the midst of working on a fairly large "secret" project using Allegro 5. I've been keeping it secret because the idea is so simple in execution and design that anyone with more time on their hands than myself could usurp the idea from under me before I could initially release it myself. Plus I have the perfect name picked out too for the project as a whole. ;D

The thing is though, this project ONLY works if it can pass through Greenlight and get onto Steam, as it will contain three free games by default, and then all future games will be DLC, each only a couple dollars, as each game is extremely simple in terms of graphics and audio but will have plenty of gameplay and ties in with the overall motif of the program. (Players will also be able to demo the first portions of each paid game prior to laying down money.)

My confidence of getting through Greenlight is high due to a number of factors. One of the key factors is that the game system as a whole with the three free games built in will be available to play immediately without Steam, thus people deciding to vote for it will already have something tangible they can play. Another key factor is that I have a subscriber base of just over 5,000 on my YouTube channel, plus a couple video producing friends who may be interested in covering this project of mine, both of whom are much more popular than I am. (One's about 4 times more popular, the other 12 times.) The last key factor is that the free games STAY free once passing through Greenlight, so the program itself will always be free to download and use. It's simply the games I make after the initial three free ones which will cost anything.

And just so I don't come across as crazy and overconfident: I'm slightly past the 50% done mark in terms of content and game code. Foundation code, editors, etc., I'm about 95% done. I've only been working on the project for exactly one year, but then there were two months where I wasn't able to get any work done at all, and only two of the remaining 10 months was I able to focus explicitly on this project, as I have a web show which takes top priority which I JUST went on break from. So actual total work so far is probably closer to about 5 or 6 months worth, only 1 1/2 of which would equate to the 50% content and game code that's done and the rest to foundation code, editors, etc. The ultimate goal once the project is launched is to make at least three or four paid games for it per year (at $2 each), which I think is doable as I find game code FAR easier to write than engine code. :P

Time will tell and I'll definitely post about it here once I get the thing launched and up on Greenlight! Besides, every time I look at some other programming libraries or engine or something, I always come back to Allegro. It, just, WORKS. :)

...mostly... ::)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

taron  said:

That has nothing to do with Javascript though, it's just a NodeJS quirk.

s/quirk/optimization/

From the sounds of skimming the link, when the code is sufficiently short the V8 engine "inlines" it somehow whereas once you cross that threshold it stops using the optimization... Evidently the engine is preserving comments and presumably white-space while taking this into account. There are various reasons to do this, depending on context... It has absolutely nothing to do with the language or interpreter speed... Prior to the change the function was a candidate for the optimization, but once it crossed the threshold it wasn't so it lost that easy win. I'd be surprised if that wasn't tune-able to some extent...

Go to: