Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The Curse of the Programmer

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
The Curse of the Programmer
m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

It's because we're unhappy in life. But it is better to ignore people online.

bamccaig - this is exactly the kind of insensitive hostility the rest of us are sick of

I think its not a big deal.

I like it when people ignore instead of ban.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Well we've begun a new page[1]. Shall we start over?

I said:

bamccaig - this is exactly the kind of insensitive hostility the rest of us are sick of

I shouldn't really have spoken for everyone there. That was my opinion only.

And I don't want to ban anyone. Unless they're just out to troll f**k people. I just want things to be civil and not turn into giant one sided arguments that one can never win in their eyes. And then be constantly reminded of it.

I think bam's got a lot of intelligent thoughts. But sometimes he just pushes his ideas on people, whether they want it or not, whether they asked for it or not. This is a forum. Not a ring side seat at Madison Square Garden where you get thrown into the ring whether you like it or not. The idea that people can just 'stay out of the off-topic forums' if they don't want to participate in knock down drag out fisticuffs arguing over why GUI's are so infinitely inferior and that *NIX rules and WinDoze drools and blah blah the GPL is there to protect you (from yourself making a living off your software apparently) blah blah there's no way God created the world in 7 days because duh we know the universe is 13 billion years old, or at least that's as far away as our farthest telescopes can see. Taking Genesis a little too literally are we? And then being such an insensitive jerk when it comes to matters of women and feminist ideas. It all adds up.

And speaking of feminism, is there a need for it? Are women sufficiently enabled that we should not look upon them with an eye for inequitable treatment among the sexes? I'm taking a Judaism class right now, and I've learned a lot of interesting things. Recently we learned about the roles of feminists in Judaism. In the Bible and in the history of the Jewish people, there is a massively one-sided domination of the female sex by men. They are a patrilineal society with power and authority resting in the male side of the families. Only men could be rabbis for the longest time until the 20th century in the late 70's or so when women came to be able to be ordained as rabbis as well in the Conservative and Reform movements of modern Judaism. Orthodox branches of Judaism do not allow the ordination of women as rabbis, but that may change relatively soon due to pressure from outside and from within. The Bible is written in strictly male language and speaks directly to men, such as when Moses addressed the people before Sinai and told the men not to touch a woman for three days. The role of women is largely marginalized and minimized but is still present and the presence of women in the Bible like Sarah, Rachel, and Leah is usually neglected. This is changing in modern liturgy that reflects the new sentiment to include women in the language and teaching of the Bible. Women are also not allowed to count in the quorum and minyan (a prayer group), so they are not allowed to say or lead prayers or teach Torah in the Temple, but also this is changing. Women must take on the obligation to pray before they count towards a prayer group and if they neglect their duties to perform daily prayers then they are counted as committing sin, whereas men are rarely chastised for not fulfilling all obligations of daily prayer. Women can also have a very difficult time getting a divorce in Judaism, as the husband must be the one to issue a 'get' (a written document of divorce) and in many cases they simply refuse, but measures such as coercion, group exclusion and fining the offending husband have given the women some legal recourse and modern day marriage contracts (ketubba) builds in measures like what happens in the case of a divorce just like a prenuptial agreement does.

tl;dr;
Feminism is not always such an unjustified thing.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

m c said:

I like it when people ignore instead of ban.

I used to think the same thing. But why should other people have to put up with other's bad behavior? I say no. And people will never learn without motivation (ie: consequences) That said, you give them a chance.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

This is a forum. Not a ring side seat at Madison Square Garden where you get thrown into the ring whether you like it or not.

"It takes two to tango".

Nobody is "throwing" anyone "into the ring". You either climb in or you don't -- or, put another way, you either voice your opinion or you don't.

It is quite clear from your post that you have an opinion on the matters of feminism, religion, etc. Quite frankly, I don't give a damn about any of that. Just because I don't believe in something doesn't mean I have to argue with them. I can observe and make my own judgement about whether I want to believe something or hold a certain position.

Yesterday -- and this is a 100% true story that I've told a couple times now already -- I was walking down the street carrying an amp and my new electric acoustic ukulele, going to my favourite coffee shop. I was only about 10 steps away and a middle aged balding man wandered across the street towards me. I noticed he had his eye on me but I just walked passed him, but then he turned and followed me a few steps and asked "Excuse me sir, has anyone told you that the lord loves you and that you can be saved?" (slight paraphrasing)

I turned, smiled, got excited, and said "Yes, they have! People will wander right across the street and ask me things like that sometimes, it's very bizarre. I think they're recruiting or something."

He was completely lost for words, I paused and watched him take a couple backward steps from me. He was clearly bothered by my response. Then I said "Have a great day" and turned walked into the coffee shop.

I said hello to everyone when I got inside, grabbed a coffee, sat down and started playing around on my uke. The same guy came in, saw me, got a coffee and left the street corner without saying anything or approaching anyone else.

I wish he would have sat down. I would have played Hallelujah.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Did anyone in the cafe ask you to shut up?

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Derezo said:

Yesterday -- and this is a 100% true story that I've told a couple times now already -- I was walking down the street carrying an amp and my new electric acoustic ukulele, going to my favourite coffee shop. I was only about 10 steps away and a middle aged balding man wandered across the street towards me. I noticed he had his eye on me but I just walked passed him, but then he turned and followed me a few steps and asked "Excuse me sir, has anyone told you that the lord loves you and that you can be saved?" (slight paraphrasing)

I turned, smiled, got excited, and said "Yes, they have! People will wander right across the street and ask me things like that sometimes, it's very bizarre. I think they're recruiting or something."

He was completely lost for words, I paused and watched him take a couple backward steps from me. He was clearly bothered by my response. Then I said "Have a great day" and turned walked into the coffee shop.

I said hello to everyone when I got inside, grabbed a coffee, sat down and started playing around on my uke. The same guy came in, saw me, got a coffee and left the street corner without saying anything or approaching anyone else.

I wish he would have sat down. I would have played Hallelujah.

8-):D8-):D8-):D8-):D8-):D

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I sometimes wonder what response Jehovah's witnesses do expect. I walk past the same guy each Sunday morning, but he's always just standing there with a copy of the Watch Tower and not trying to talk to anyone. I think he's a bit uncomfortable standing there and even looks slightly embarrassed.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Derezo said:

"It takes two to tango".

Nobody is "throwing" anyone "into the ring". You either climb in or you don't -- or, put another way, you either voice your opinion or you don't.

Now that's not really the way it has been around here though. Be realistic. Something as simple as someone presenting a view that someone else didn't agree with was often turned into fight. Not a debate, and often someone was just out to prove themself right. Did the first person ask for it? Not really. The person who attacked them has the right to remain silent as well. Why do we allow people to force their opinions on others when they are the ones who should have simply let a differing viewpoint stand as what it was, just a simple opinion, and not an invitation for a fight.

Derezo said:

It is quite clear from your post that you have an opinion on the matters of feminism, religion, etc. Quite frankly, I don't give a damn about any of that.

That's fine you don't have to give a shit. I don't care if people believe what I believe or not. That's your own choice. And that's not even really my opinion above, that's merely what I learned from my studies. Agree with it or don't I don't care.

Derezo said:

Just because I don't believe in something doesn't mean I have to argue with them.

Thank you for proving my point. This is what bamccaig usually does, argues until someone can't take his junk anymore and who then decides to leave.

Quote:

I can observe and make my own judgement about whether I want to believe something or hold a certain position.

See above.

Edit
Whatever. I'm just a looser with no onion.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Dizzy Egg said:

Did anyone in the cafe ask you to shut up?

Haha, no, they even turn the music off. I play there all the time these days. At least once a week.

Now that's not really the way it has been around here though.

I disagree and I believe that it is as I said it is. Period. Not just here, not just anywhere. Everyone is directly responsible for their actions on here. You either join the fight or you don't. Nobody forces you to read anything. Nobody forces your hand to the keyboard. I am "being realistic".

Quote:

Something as simple as someone presenting a view that someone else didn't agree with was often turned into fight.

I agree that people get aggressive. It is still your choice to be aggressive back.

Quote:

Thank you for proving my point.

If that was your point in the last post I lost it somewhere between Genesis and Feminism.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Derezo said:

I disagree and I believe that it is as I said it is. Period. Not just here, not just anywhere. Everyone is directly responsible for their actions on here. You either join the fight or you don't. Nobody forces you to read anything. Nobody forces your hand to the keyboard. I am "being realistic".

I think you're being idealistic, not realistic. Post enough shit, and you make it hell for others. I don't believe people should put up with bullshit. If all you do is hide your head in the sand, absolutely nothing will change, or if it does, its for the worse (see current political bullshit in canada).

"Can't do anything about it, so i might as well not" <--- bull! you can and should.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Derezo said:

You either join the fight or you don't. Nobody forces you to read anything. Nobody forces your hand to the keyboard. I am "being realistic".

So you admit then it is generally a fight and not a debate. The thing is there are people who want to participate in friendly forums, but not in a fight. And then if you let people on your forums turn everything into some kind of holy war (if that's what you could call the act of pushing zealous atheism and other personal beliefs on people, which you claim to not want pushed on you, but you push on others), then it drives them away.

I'm glad that you are so proud that you put a man to shame for his beliefs. Granted he shouldn't really be pushing his beliefs on you, but you why do you have to tear his down to feel better about yours?

Derezo said:

I agree that people get aggressive. It is still your choice to be aggressive back.

No, it is our right to not have to deal with agressive behaviour to begin with.

I think bam's got a lot of intelligent thoughts. But sometimes he just pushes his ideas on people, whether they want it or not, whether they asked for it or not. This is a forum. Not a ring side seat at Madison Square Garden where you get thrown into the ring whether you like it or not.

Derezo said:

Just because I don't believe in something doesn't mean I have to argue with them.

Thank you for proving my point.

If that was your point in the last post I lost it somewhere between Genesis and Feminism.

Meaning, bamccaig doesn't have to argue with people simply because he disagrees. Nor does he have to turn disagreeing into a brow beating contest.

Oh, and sorry for bringing up such sensitive topics. I mean you are a male atheist after all. My bad. Didn't mean to offend you.

If people aren't allowed to express their opinions without being assaulted for them, then this is not a discussion forum. You know, where people discuss things. ;)

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

The real curse is that we waste time debating such issues in stead of actually contributing to the development of Allegro. If you have time to argue here about the amount of Allegro forum visitors that will fit on the top of a thread, then you have time to contribute. So get going, everyone here! ;D

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Everyone shut up or I'll punch you.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

beoran said:

The real curse is that we waste time debating such issues in stead of actually contributing to the development of Allegro. If you have time to argue here about the amount of Allegro forum visitors that will fit on the top of a thread, then you have time to contribute. So get going, everyone here! ;D

That's The Curse of the Programmer. Spot on.

This thread has enough lines to get a basic mind control addon working >:(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

beoran said:

The real curse is that we waste time debating such issues in stead of actually contributing to the development of Allegro.

If ass-hats cause potential contributors to avoid the library and community completely, we all lose out regardless.

--

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

There's all sorts of people in most programming communities. Look at how Linus runs kernel development by "Management by perkele". As long as the focus is on software development and not on other unrelated issues, this actually works rather well...

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

beoran said:

There's all sorts of people in most programming communities. Look at how Linus runs kernel development by "Management by perkele" [en.wikipedia.org]. As long as the focus is on software development and not on other unrelated issues, this actually works rather well...

But what about my feels? :'( Isn't it more important that everyone is included than actual progress?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

If ass-hats cause potential contributors to avoid the library and community completely, we all lose out regardless.

You do not know that, unfortunately. The people coming in and leaving because someone else in the project is oh so horrible most likely would never have stayed anyway. And the people storming out loudly because they hate someone so much probably would have left otherwise as well. In both cases it's just an excuse.

I'd say to the contrary, if you look any successful open source or private project some of the key people usually hate each other and one of them will leave during or before completion. Or the whole thing is run by an asshole who never tolerates any critics at all like Steve Jobs. It's just human nature :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Elias said:

You do not know that, unfortunately.

I know it for a fact. I've heard from several people that avoid allegro because of the community.

Quote:

The people coming in and leaving because someone else in the project is oh so horrible most likely would never have stayed anyway.

You don't know that ;)

Quote:

I'd say to the contrary, if you look any successful open source or private project some of the key people usually hate each other and one of them will leave during or before completion. Or the whole thing is run by an asshole who never tolerates any critics at all like Steve Jobs. It's just human nature :)

I haven't heard Linus rant on and on about things that don't actually matter though. It's always technical issues, and its generally not personal. Oh, and he does take criticism. Many times he's been proven wrong, you just don't hear about it because it's not news-worthy. He takes it in stride.

What i have a problem with is things like sexism, racism, zealots, and people that will insult you just because you don't agree with them and ask them to stop being sexist, racist, or a zealot (or any mixture there of).

It is not worth having toxic people in your community.

--

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Perhaps a.cc should be split off. A forum dedicated to programming, contribution, and the such, where discussions must stay civil, fair etc, and we have https://www.opinions.allegro.cc/forums where members can say and do whatever the f*** they want. We actually really do have a bad reputation because of these forums. I have read it in many other forums, and it really does tarnish an otherwise great library.

We lost Trent a while back and like him or not, he was pretty helpful and contributed a lot. He left because of the community, not because of the library. A while back we lost Peter Wang; a pretty big loss. Once again, I don't think he left because of the library...

We really do need to be a harmonious, welcoming community that's about teaching, contributing, growing, etc. The OT section should really be in a subdomain. Allegro Development Board needs to be a little more welcoming too. It has improved because of some kind and dedicated members, but when I first started contributing, unless Peter Wang read my thread, not much was going to happen.

Telling people that their contribution has to be perfect or it will be rejected isn't very useful. Most of the time, even a novice will produce a half decent patch, and it's up to the more experienced to take some time to refactor it a little.

Builds and binaries will help a lot too. I see some great efforts being made for build automation and that is brilliant!

I have some dependency build scripts for iOS that I plan to clean up and propose at some point. Let's work together and breath some new life into the community! :D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

jmasterx said:

Telling people that their contribution has to be perfect or it will be rejected isn't very useful. Most of the time, even a novice will produce a half decent patch, and it's up to the more experienced to take some time to refactor it a little.

Or, we help the newbie to improve it themselves (which I prefer). I honestly don't remember anyone telling people that if their contributions weren't perfect they should GTFO.

Quote:

Let's work together and breath some new life into the community! :D

This! A thousand times this!

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

So you admit then it is generally a fight and not a debate.

I believe these occurrences are inconsequential.

Quote:

The thing is there are people who want to participate in friendly forums

Yes.

Quote:

if you let people on your forums turn everything into some kind of holy war (if that's what you could call the act of pushing zealous atheism and other personal beliefs on people, which you claim to not want pushed on you, but you push on others), then it drives them away.

I believe that this, too, is inconsequential.

The act of employing argumentation is to give reasons for your belief in a given circumstance. How you employ this utility will represent your own merit in whatever it regards.

I don't care if it's gay marriage, or feminism, the existence of planet X or the horrible atrocities that occur in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Your words are yours. These words are mine. ;D

[edited for even more extreme liberal effect]

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Maybe Matt should allow members vote for temporary mute some who talk too much shit ;-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

A + or - voting system would be awesome. I would think it would be difficult to incorporate into the existing infrastructure, though. I really like the reddit system of karma, but because we are such a small and unique community in comparison we would need a customized system for it to be an improvement of the current awesome power that is the allegro.cc forum system.

This place is the best. Don't you fucking kid yourselves.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Derezo said:

I really like the reddit system of karma, but because we are such a small and unique community in comparison we would need a customized system for it to be an improvement of the current awesome power that is the allegro.cc forum system.

I think Slashdot's system of moderation works way better at keeping disagreeing but informative posts at the top. Reddit is too easy and too gut reaction downvoting. Downvoting is supposed to be uninformative, but it's actually "I disgree" and "I'm offended."

Which means any hard pills to swallow are quickly squashed, no matter how correct and sourced.

I've had some of my most concisely written, properly sourced opinions downvoted like crazy. They love sweet stories (some of my top posts), but hate opinions that are contrary to the modern liberal thinktank. They're pro-science but only if it doesn't conflict with San Fransisco's opinion on anything--like 3rd-wave feminism. (1st and 2nd wave Feminism are not progressive enough and will also be squashed.)

I think Reddit would be much better if you could only post X amount in a day, and vote Y amount in a day. That way, you need to choose the really important ones instead of everything. And children with 20 hours a day of free time cannot have a disproportionate influence, as well as company shill accounts.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Go to: