Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » I hate disabled people!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
I hate disabled people!
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/european-court-rules-obesity-disability-27685479

Quote:

Obesity can be a disability, the European Court of Justice ruled Thursday - a decision that could have widespread consequences across the 28-nation bloc for the way in which employers deal with severely overweight staff.

Silly Europeans!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Seems simple enough to me, lock them in a cell with a water spigot and leave a 30 cm opening for them to escape when they lose enough weight.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity#Causes

Quote:

Obesity can be a disability

Can be. I guess it means it will have to be decided on an individual case-by-case-basis whether the obesity is a disability or whether it is not.

I do not see what would be silly about it.

I guess whether it is or is not considered a disability will be based mainly on two factors:
a) whether it is or is not the fault of the obese person that he/she is obese
b) whether the obese person is handicapped by his/her obesity when carrying out their tasks

I would assume that as long as there is no handicap due to the obesity, it would not be considered a disability in all employment related questions.

losely related topics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatred
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassion

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I prefer the Procrustes method!

Dennis said:

I do not see what would be silly about it.

The fact that people who are synonymous with poor self-control are now considered disabled, which is just enabling them. That's like saying an alcoholic is disabled and we should make their life-style of being obliterated every day easier for them. Let's help drug addicts by letting them keep good jobs to buy more drugs and just give them nice floormatts to sleep on at work when they pass out.

I gained a good 50 lbs before/after my surgery. It happens, and it's appalling to me every day to see myself like that. Even though if anyone has a valid excuse for being overweight, it's me! But how the hell people manage to get 100, 200, 300 lbs overweight is appalling and it's a symptom of this politically correct "never offend someone" B.S.

There's a huge difference between hating someone (my title is for humorous effect), and refusing to enable someone's vices.

As someone who is actually disabled and incapable of following any action to magically cure me, I find it rather irritating that poor self-control should be given the same credence as someone who can't walk.

[edited because I'm an edit glutton, don't judge my life choice.]

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

The fact that people who are synonymous with poor self-control are now considered disabled, which is just enabling them. That's like saying an alcoholic is disabled and we should make their life-style of being obliterated every day easier for them.

So your hatred is based on the assumptions that all obese people have poor self-control? If anything is silly here it is that assumption (mind you, I am saying that assumption is silly, I am not saying you are silly, that's a difference). Also, poor self-control can be the result of mental health issues which often are disabilities in themselves.

Alcoholism is a severe problem. We should not make the life of alcoholics easier (in fact we are not, therapy for alcoholism is not a walk in the park and alcoholics are not pampered or anything).

So... what I am saying is: Think before you hate then think some more and try to develop compassion.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Dennis said:

Also, poor self-control can be the result of mental health issues which often are disabilities in themselves

Then they're mentally disabled. Not disabled because of a symptom of their true disability.

Quote:

So your hatred is based on the assumptions that all obese people have poor self-control?

Not at all. There are a relative few that have actual health reasons. I am overweight for an actual health reason. My weight and my stretchmarks are not my disability, they are symptoms of my disability.

[edit]

If someone has PTSD and they eat to cover their pain. That's terrible and we should definitely care. If someone just likes to eat and doesn't care about their appearance, they probably have ego and self-esteem issues and we should care about those underlying issues! But that doesn't make over-eating suddenly okay.

[edit]

:P

[edit]

:P

-----sig:

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Then they're mentally disabled. Not disabled because of a symptom of their true disability.

One disability can cause another (or several). The root cause does not change the way in which the affected person is handicapped.

edit: You are editing too fast and too much, so I will not continue to respond. I am sure you will manage to sort out your own problems (I am under the impression this is not really about obese people or the question of whether obesity is/is not a disability but more about yourself.).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Overweight people eat too much food. And unfortunately for them, it's exponentially harder to lose weight than it is to gain weight. That does not qualify as a disability for me. That might qualify for being lesser intelligence, but since when do they get special treatment? I disagree with calling it a disability except for cases where the weight gain is completely out of the hands of the individual: even if they do everything right they still gain weight. Everybody else just picked a highly visible vice. Hey, if they start classifying alcoholism as a disability let me know!

Relevant:

video

video

Seems simple enough to me, lock them in a cell with a water spigot and leave a 30 cm opening for them to escape when they lose enough weight.

{"name":"1156228.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/2\/22b6eaa1a49f453fd75deccae393d975.jpg","w":298,"h":317,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/2\/22b6eaa1a49f453fd75deccae393d975"}1156228.jpg

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Dennis said:

edit: You are editing too fast and too much, so I will not continue to respond. I am sure you will manage to sort out your own problems (I am under the impression this is not really about obese people or the question of whether obesity is/is not a disability but more about yourself.).

It's annoying when someone assumes anyone with a contrary opinion must have baggage instead of debating the merits of the argument.

-----sig:

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Did anyone even read the source article? :o

. . .debating the merits of the argument.

I didn't see anything in your argument of merit. Just looks like trolling, to be honest.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

My disability is the third most disabling condition there is. Maybe I should mock your so-called "disability" Chris. Think before you speak.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

You guys are so easily offended!

Shouldn't you think before you hate, and try to develop compassion for me?

My disability is the third most disabling condition [en.wikipedia.org] there is.

What does saying "being fat isn't a disability" makes you identify personally with anything I've said? I'm for special treatment for people with true disabilities and the fact that you can't see that seriously makes me think you guys are the ones bringing baggage into the discussion.

Vices are not disabilities.

I'm sick of this "all criticism is oppression" mentality crap in modern culture. We can discuss things without the presumption that criticism is from a stance of hatred.

[edited response to below because I'm not going to waste a post:]

That's a great way to win all your arguments. If you actually cared, you'd spend time to enlighten and correct me. But you don't, because you're acting like a modern day feminist social justice warrior. Attack everything except the argument. I guess I'm just not "disabled enough" for you to have a valid opinion on disability.

-----sig:

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Rampant ignorance. I won't comment again.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, I pretty much disagree with this. In my case, being fat is not a disability in and of itself, as i am able to lose weight (and have been doing so!) but for some people is is truly a disability, no matter how much they diet or exercise they simply can't shed weight due to chemical imbalances or genetic anomalies.

However, the 60%+ people that are overweight in the US are mostly all fat because they eat too much shit food. Processed foods containing mostly carbs (aka: sugar) and grains is just plain bad for you.

I got off the high carb diet and man, I started dropping weight. And steadily too. I even started eating more food. Including things like steak, eggs, bacon, and other high protein (and fat) foods.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56872

There are certain diseases and medications that can cause serious weight gain without the patient overeating. For example, my sister had cancer and gained a lot of weight from the medication. In such cases, overweight really is a disability. Though I agree that for the majority of obese people not eating right is the main cause, in which case it isn't a disability, of course.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I was always skinny as a kid, and my sister trolled me that an extremely obese cousin of ours ate things like sandwiches with maple syrup, peanut butter, pickles and ketchup. I actually ate those disgusting sandwichs for about a week.

When I joined the military and was able to eat regularly, I started lifting weights, but it was slow going. Eventually I was a skinny muscular guy.

Then when I turned 43, this current potbelly bloomed in just a couple of months and I've been fighting it since.

So I guess you could say I don't have any willpower at either extreme.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I weigh 160 pounds. >:(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

At my heaviest I was 260 pounds :o I felt like shit. I can't imagine how other people can manage more than that.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

If I had to be obese, I would try to be as obese as possible. There's no use in half-assing obesity.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

There's no use in half-assing obesity.

If you're obese, even when you're half assing it, you're hauling ass.

--

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Hold on, I think I know this one; when you eat you take on calories, if you don't burn off those calories you get fat. Not your fault really, as mammals you crave fats and sugars for hard times, it's instinctual....and because you're not running around jumping through woodland after other mammals to eat you're not burning calories. There a study a few years back in the UK that claimed something like 2% of people could actually blame a disorder on their obesity; the other 98% just ate too much. And not salads, no. Cakes and pizzas and burgers and ice cream.

So, just eat less walk more. :-/

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Dizzy Egg said:

eat less

That's easy to say when you're not programming and that gnawing hunger keeps distracting you! >:(

Quote:

walk more

What? And leave the desktop behind? Horrors! :o

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

...I hadn't thought it through...

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

"My Woffice" (not my woffice)

video

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Several years ago I was working at a KFC equipped with an all you can eat buffet. An hour before closing the staff got really stirred up. There was a lady trying to get in the store... but she was having a hard time walking because she was so huge. She spent 5 minutes holding onto the lobby door before finally shuffling up to order... a buffet.

We had to move the booths in order to make room for her to sit. After gorging herself (with assistance from staff), she became over-encumbered. Much like Morrowind, she couldn't move from the spot she was in. The staff went to fetch our office chair to help her. She was so heavy, the support column on the chair immediately pushed through to the floor. We pushed the office chair, with her in it, across the floor breaking ceramic tiles as we passed. Then we hit a transition strip, and couldn't go any further. In a wondrous feat of ingenuity, a fellow cook and myself put a lobby chair on a trash dolly and finished wheeling her out. She tipped him $5 for the help.

I ran a buffet. I see how people eat. Unless you have a thyroid problem, or other actual medical conditions, I have no sympathy.

1   2 

Go to: