Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » A good movie to watch,

Credits go to Arthur Kalliokoski, Bob Keane, Derezo, Dizzy Egg, Elias, Gideon Weems, jhuuskon, LennyLen, Matthew Leverton, OICW, pkrcel, Sirocco, Slartibartfast, SonShadowCat, Thomas Fjellstrom, and Trezker for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
A good movie to watch,
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

pkrcel said:

please for the love of god (cit.) choose another wine.

There's nothing wrong with Merlot. It's not my favourite red varietal, but it's liked by a lot of people and the soft tannin profile that is usually found in merlots makes it a good choice for people unaccustomed to red wine.

Without knowing how the beef is going to be prepared, it's impossible to make an ideal match.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You know what's a good match? Not wine! ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

@Lenny

I SO hoped for a reply like that ;D

I agree 100% and that's why I asked which beef.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I've always had bad luck with movies. :-/

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Steak. But I love Merlot.. My favorite is maybe Pinotage though, but I've already got a bottle of Merlot for this purpose. & damn.. I'm in Israel just one week, already 8 red dry bottles murdered.

Append:
Pen fried, without oil. Slight bit of water. Not covered during cooking, maybe pressured if I'm not lazy. I sometimes place a pot with water on the steak to press it.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

type568 said:

Pen fried, without oil. Slight bit of water. Not covered during cooking, maybe pressured if I'm not lazy. I sometimes place a pot with water on the steak to press it.

After years of experimenting, this is pretty much how I cook every steak.

I put salt & pepper on each side of the steak before putting it in the pan, high heat, and I close the lid during cooking. About 3 minutes on each side, depending on how thick the steak is. It has always been so perfect, even better than barbeque.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Finished watching Dead Mans Shoes. I really enjoyed it, thanks for the suggestion.

Append:
Just watched BIg Bad Wolves. Another exceptional movie.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

type568 said:

Finished watching Dead Mans Shoes. I really enjoyed it, thanks for the suggestion.

Me, too. Fantastic film, from start to finish.

Thanks to everyone for not spoiling the ending, because man, that is one hell of an ending.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Since there are now threads about how bored everyone is, we watched Anna Karenina & really loved it. The time was well & pleasantly spent. Although it was a fail nevertheless, as we'll most likely meet just once more & I'm leaving the country for years.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Why a fail?

You said you had good time, you MAY see each other once more and you DEFINITELY can't know for sure how the next years will be.

Anyway on topic, I'd like to repropose a movie I recently had the chance to watch again after a looong time (and surely you already know but whatever):

- The Warriors (1979)

Great great mood....I stumbled upon this late the other night on TV and I went through it, instead of getting proper sleep that is.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

The target was sex. Not achieved. :)
Although it was within borders of having good time for both, so risk not appropriate. But I guess I lacked understanding of situation. And well.. Experience, emotions.. Damn, she's so lovely <3

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

type568 said:

The target was sex. Not achieved.

I sort /suspected that but then I got the feeling that either you had it or not, you were getting involved and the subsequent statement

type568 said:

as we'll most likely meet just once more & I'm leaving the country for years

made me think much more so....and I was on spot, I guess.

What to say here, go grab you chances and play them well... ;)

On topic: Well, damn please then next time watch:

- [National Lampoon's] Animal House (1978)

which I know for sure is a girl's favorite.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Derezo said:

I put salt & pepper on each side of the steak before putting it in the pan, high heat, and I close the lid during cooking. About 3 minutes on each side, depending on how thick the steak is. It has always been so perfect, even better than barbeque.

I much prefer low and slow with the lid on. 4-6 minutes on each side, and you get the tenderest most juicy steak you can imagine (it helps if its a tenderloin). I tend to use montreal steak seasoning rather than just pepper and salt. Maybe some Oregano as well.

Cooking on too high a heat leads to dryness and a much higher risk of burning. If you absolutely want to have that nice sear/char, you can crank up the heat after you've fully cooked it low and slow.

But yeah, low and slow is the best way ;)

I've not tried just a bit of water. Maybe I will.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

@pk

Actually I guess I'm too narrow about saying target was sex.. Although it certainly was the direction, and I certainly wasn't satisfied :)

As of each of your lines following quotes of my sentences. I didn't understand'em both, after reading multiple times. I do think I know all the words, & basic English grammar however. Perhaps you could clarify :P

pkrcel said:

What to say here, go grab you chances and play them well... ;)

That's just about everything in life. & I'll download the movie, thanks :)

@Thomas
It can't really get burned if you make sure to add water as it vaporizes, so that all surface of the pan is covered with it. However, the water also makes sure it never gets too dry, although you can't call it entirely fried as well. It's totally not boiled meat though, neither is it "vapor cooked".

As of the speed of cooking.. Well, it depends on your goal. If you want to leave it raw in the middle, you should cook it faster. If you want it all to be of equal making- cook slower.

Also as I noted, it's not entirely fried, nor "vapor made"(how to call it if you cover it, and leave just a hole for vapor to exit?). So generally the hotter the pan is, the more it is fried and not "vapor made". The slower you cook it, the more it is "vapor made" than fried.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

'Steamed'

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

type568 said:

It can't really get burned if you make sure to add water as it vaporizes, so that all surface of the pan is covered with it. However, the water also makes sure it never gets too dry, although you can't call it entirely fried as well. It's totally not boiled meat though, neither is it "vapor cooked".

On high heat with no lid the water will boil off faster than you can say "boiled". After the water is gone, the meat will start to dry out.

Quote:

As of the speed of cooking.. Well, it depends on your goal. If you want to leave it raw in the middle, you should cook it faster. If you want it all to be of equal making- cook slower.

I used to go with rare or medium rare (and will in restaraunts) because cooking it any further leaves you with dry meat. You can cook low and slow for almost as long as you want and the inside is still a light pink and the steak is juicy as heck. And you do get some char and some juices to mop up with the steak as you eat it :D both caramelize a little and it tastes awesome.

--

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

type568 said:

Perhaps you could clarify

I'll try, I know that I sometimes write very poor english and this must be one of those times. ;D

I suspected you gladly would have had sex (hey who wonuldn't!) and did not get it, but thinking about it a bit more (reading in your post, I mean) I had the feeling that you were also getting involved with her (emotionally speaking), and you saying:

type568 said:

as we'll most likely meet just once more & I'm leaving the country for years

made me think more so, I mean that you definitely were involved.

The fact that you also said:

type568 said:

Damn, she's so lovely <3

made me think I was spot on. (ain't you even a little bit into her? :) )

Hope this is more clear ;D, if not, you can just assume I was trying to be supportive ;).

And...

type568 said:

That's just about everything in life

...mh, sometimes you have to fold you hand unfortunately, even if opening with AA.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

What does "I mean that you definitely were involved" mean?

pkrcel said:

...mh, sometimes you have to fold you hand unfortunately, even if opening with AA.

Folding the AA is the right play in the appropriate condition, if you didn't all in on pre-flop ;)

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Cooking on too high a heat leads to dryness and a much higher risk of burning. If you absolutely want to have that nice sear/char, you can crank up the heat after you've fully cooked it low and slow.

FULLY COOKED!?!?!?!?? BLASPHEMY!

EPISODE FUCKING ONE! (he cooks the first one at 13:44 -- he uses oil here, and does not cover it, but I remember in a much later episode he revisits steaks and does not use oil (or pepper, just salt).

My steak is never dry. It is always bloody. Cooking it too long will cause dryness, because moisture is lost.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Derezo said:

Cooking it too long will cause dryness, because moisture is lost.

Indeed, and its far easier to do when cooking on high.

I normally cook to pink. not rare. not well done. But occasionally I make a mistake and cook to about welldone, but the meat is still juicy. Not something that would happen with high heat. With high heat, your meat would be leather or char.

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

With high heat, your meat would be leather or char.

I'm not buying it. There is no truth to that at all. You would need to horribly overcook it.

When I cook it the inside of the steak is essentially raw.

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

How about Human Centipede. I have plans to watch the second one. You know you have a keeper if the woman wants to watch it and can stomach it.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

The only reason I'm glad I watched The Human Centipede is that now I can be certain it was a bad idea.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Too late, but I'd reccommend Eraserhead ;) Anyway, I've scored success with Casablanca.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Indeed, and its far easier to do when cooking on high.

If you are cooking on high heat and you're not paying attention, then you deserve to eat overcooked steak.

What temperature you cook at is dependent on cut more than anything. For lean cuts, you should use a high temperature, and cook quickly. For fattier cuts, you need to take a little more time to allow the fat to melt into the meat.

But you should never cook steak at a low temperature.

I have a 6mm (1/4 inch) iron skillet that I use. For an inch thick eye fillet, I have the gas on full and cook for ~3 minutes per side. For an inch thick rib eye, I cook at about 75% for ~5 minutes a side. These temperatures and times give me my eye fillet rare and my ribeye medium rare, both with caramelization of the exterior. The times are approximate as I cook to touch, not to a timer. I also don't use oil, as I leave the skillet seasoned.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: