Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Facebook censorship

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Facebook censorship
StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Elias said:

It all starts in the very first pages when the devil appears as a serpent to Adam and Eve

Just curious, where does it say that the devil appears as a serpent in the bible?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

torhu said:

Same thing again. I posted a message with a couple of weapon-related references in it. All the references were metaphors, they were about someone talking like a "machine gun" and things like that. When I try to delete the post after it's become irrelevant I get the message that "The content you requested can not be displayed at this time. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you do not have permission to view this page.". Translation by Google. It's lovely, isn't it?

EDIT: Well, I guess the only good thing about this is that even though I use my real name on bookfart, they US spys obviously don't have automatic access to my own government's information about me. I assume they would be able to clear the message automatically if they did.

What's far more likely is that someone you know reported the post and it got removed.

While it may actually be possible for the US government to spy on everyone's communications, they don't have the resources to read everything, so unless you've been flagged for other reasons, I doubt they give a rat's ass what you post.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Genesis 3:1

Quote:

Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman: 'Yea, hath God said: Ye shall not eat of any tree of the garden?'

Oh, it never says it's the devil who appears as the serpent. Never mind.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

LennyLen said:

What's far more likely is that someone you know reported the post and it got removed.

I think that's unlikely, there was no reason to report it. It wasn't removed, it just that I was prevented from removing it when I wanted to.

Quote:

While it may actually be possible for the US government to spy on everyone's communications, they don't have the resources to read everything, so unless you've been flagged for other reasons, I doubt they give a rat's what you post.

It think it's just Facebook flagging posts automatically based on keywords and such. Maybe it's partly because I shared a post a couple of days earlier that later was removed due to complaints (removed from the original page, not from my wall).

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Oh joy, a religious debate!

2 Timothy 2:23 (NIV)
"Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels."

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

StevenVI said:

Just curious, where does it say that the devil appears as a serpent in the bible?

If it's not the devil (who is called a serpent elsewhere in the bible), then now we have a second character already who is able to trick god.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

Genesis 4:9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he
said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?

So God can't even keep track of the second generations whereabouts...

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Well, we are supposed to be made in his image. I sometimes forget where I put my glasses only to later find out that I'm already wearing them.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Just a note about the Devil (actually named Satan, "devil" simply means deceiver) and the "serpent" in the garden. The word I believe that was translated as "serpent" in Genesis 3:1 comes from the Hebrew "נָחָשׁ" (Strongs H5175) which means "serpent". But this word comes from a Hebrew word "נָחַשׁ" (Strongs H5172) which means "whispering enchanter", notice how similar the two words are in Hebrew! Now we all know snakes don't talk, so it is my belief that the word should have been rendered as "whispering enchanter" which would have made more sense.

I will not get involved in a debate about the existence of God, I have done this far too much and it is always pointless, but I have studied the bible in depth, it is a big hobby of mine.

So God can't even keep track of the second generations whereabouts...

God asking where Abel was in that instance would be akin to a parent asking a child who say got into something they should not have, and the parent finds out and know they did it, asking them about it, even though they already know the answer. Why would you as a parent do that? I suppose it may have something to do with giving a chance to be honest and 'fess up.

And while the average Christian would squirm to admit that God creates evil (although it's the only logical conclusion given his omnipotence and omniscience), the Christian answer is simply that we are evil and deserve no goodness at all.

God did not create evil, he gave us free will. Evil is merely the act of disobeying God after all. God allows us to do as we wish, now as with everything, there is consequences for all our actions. This is also why God does not intervene all the time preventing death and starvation as the original poster was attacking Him for. He gives us free will, if God constantly stopped you from doing what you wanted to, than you would be posting a picture against Him for never giving you freedom. Now the consequences for not obeying God sometimes can lead to starvation, even of children. But if you believe in God, and understand that everyone who dies will be resurrected as the bible states, that it is not as bad as it seems and those who never even possibly heard of God will be given a chance to learn and be saved.

The concept of an ever burning "Hell" is a false one not supported by the bible at all. There is a lake of fire, for the "incorrigible wicked" (those who absolutely refuse to obey God even though they meet him face to face) but I direct everyone to look up the original words that were translated as "Hell", mainly used in the KJV bible, the WEB (World English Bible) bible properly translates those words as "the grave" and "Gehinnom" (a dumpsite outside of Jerusalem which was always burning, hence the reason why Jesus referred to it as being like the end time lake of fire) etc and not the pagan myth of Hell which was adopted by the Roman Catholic Church. Just look up "Hel" (one "L") on Wikipedia for example to learn about the ancient Norse goddess of the underworld ( female, I knew it!!! ;D ). There is quite a bit about the bible that is totally different from what most churches teach.

Read John 3:13 for a good example which contradicts almost all church teachings.

*** I am SO going to regret ever getting involved in this thread ***

---

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

NiteHackr said:

they produce quarrels

I read that as squirrels.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

NiteHackr said:

...if God constantly stopped you from doing what you wanted to, than you would be posting a picture against Him for never giving you freedom.

Assuming God would let you. :-[

I will refrain from the religious debate only because work really takes it out of me and I've already beaten that horse to hotdogs with most of you people. And there's no way to have an intelligent conversation with people that believe in magical beings in the sky and by definition of their religious beliefs cannot openly question them... :-/

Oops. :-X

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

squirrels

I see it as barrells.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

bamccaig said:

And there's no way to have an intelligent conversation with people that believe in magical beings in the sky and by definition of their religious beliefs cannot openly question them...

Intelligence has nothing to do with it. Einstein believed in a God. You think you better than him? You disrespect, brah?

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Vanneto said:

Einstein believed in a God

I never heard he did. He did have a good sense of humor as I understood though.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

bamccaig said:

there's no way to have an intelligent conversation with people that believe in magical beings in the sky and by definition of their religious beliefs cannot openly question them

Yay! My sentiment exactly!! ;D 8-)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Vanneto said:

Intelligence has nothing to do with it. Einstein believed in a God.

It is important to note here that Einstein believed in God, but not the Christian God of the Holy Trinity (which includes the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, at least two of which Einstein disagreed with).

Religious views of Albert Einstein is a good read, and most God believers would argue with his views -- especially the Bible toting types.

I can get on board with Einstein, but that has nothing to do with Jesus or the Bible.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

A lot of scientists are/have-been religious. But they weren't the typical christian stereotype.

I don't think you can be both a scientist and a bible-thumper. Critical Thinking and bible-thumper are at extreme odds with each other.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Einstein used the word "god" to mean something that seems to be unrelated to religion. Which I think is a mistake to do, as it only causes confusion. Sorry, Albert :P

Pho75_
Member #12,377
November 2010

I don't think you can be both a scientist and a bible-thumper. Critical Thinking and bible-thumper are at extreme odds with each other.

You underestimate the flexibility of the human mind. You underestimate her greatly!
We are all walking contradictions.
Everyone of us applies critical thinking to every aspect of our lives
except where we don't want to face scrutiny.

The best thing about critical thinking is that you can turn it off when you want! ;)
Lest the truth be too staggering to confront !!!!
dun-dun-dun

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Quote:

Assuming God would let you. :-[

That's funny, because that thought actually occurred to me when I wrote that! :)

As for Christians not being able to be scientists, apparently because we're all too stupid to be able to think because we believe in "a magical being" or "invisible man".... well... I strongly believe in science and love it. But I also believe in God (I actually despise saying "believe" because I have proven to myself that he definitely does exist, it's not a belief to me anymore, it is merely a fact).

I find it supremely arrogant to feel that because someone else doesn't believe the same as you do, that they must be less intelligent. I don't think atheists are less intelligent than I am, to say such a thing would be arrogant and ignorant on my part, the same goes for any of you. Please refrain from the insults, if you want an intelligent conversation anyhow. If this is just to be a mud slinging contest I'll bow out now and hide this thread. Please show some respect.

As for my proofs that God exists, well, I won't post them here because if you do not believe in God, and based on the insults I have already seen I know you will never accept them so it is pointless.

I'll pray to my magical being, that great invisible man in the sky that He will someday open your mind so you can all understand the truth before it is too late. Because you may hate me for my "beliefs", but I do not hate you for your lack of them.

God bless.
(I don't know why I get into these threads, it's like crack, I always regret it afterwards)

---

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

The burden of proof isn't on Atheists, it's on you. So prove it or stop talking rubbish.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Dizzy Egg said:

stop talking rubbish

This sort of hateful reply is exactly why I will not. It's pointless because I will only get more of the same back no matter what I say.

Anyhow, I'm out of here. Got to hide this thread.

Enjoy your mud slinging.

---

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Peace brother x

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I never understand why some religious folk have such a need to prove anything. I believe certain things (that I wont mention) but I'll never feel compelled to prove them or debate them with anyone. That's because I know I can't.

Stop trying to make your God a fact. It will never be so. You're creating this hostile situation by trying to prove something that can't be proven. If your belief is strong, you should not have any need to participate in such threads.

But you're right about bam and Dizzy coming in here just for the flame factor. Not cool. :-/

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

When I say bible thumper I don't mean all Christians. Just the ones that take everything in the bible for fact and feel the need to force religion into science.

You can be religious and a scientist.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Go to: