Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Facebook pays 19 Billion dollars... for an app.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Facebook pays 19 Billion dollars... for an app.
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Facebook pays 19B for WhatsApp

Talk about hyper-valuation of an industry that hasn't even proven a viable profit model yet. ::)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

FB paid 19B$ for some some 490M user's cellphone address books actually.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The speculation is it was solely for the 500m users of WhatsApp. Facebook's model is profitable, so trying to entrench itself in mobile messaging isn't a bad idea.

Though the amount they are paying is wow. just wow. I really don't get it. I should make an app to sell to facebook, then I and my descendants for generations will never have to work a day in our lives.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

pkrcel said:

FB paid 19B$ for some some 490M user's cellphone address books actually.

Exactly.

All they have to do is keep running it the same way and nobody will leave. They'll get to then steal all of the phone numbers, names, and "meta data," and then cross reference it with Facebook, and do more marketing.

If they can continue to collect $1/user/year, they'll also eventually add around $1 billion / year in revenue.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Anybody that uses Facebook should ask themselves why Facebook would do this. They aren't stupid. They aren't just burning money. They're exploiting you and getting rich in the process. It is a spam engine.

If it isn't clear that they're using you then I don't know what will get through to you. I deleted my Facebook account years ago now... I block the domain and refuse to accept anything from it. It's a malicious company.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

All they have to do is keep running it the same way and nobody will leave.

Say this to AOL. The valuation is nuts, the risks involved don't justify the price.

However. I don't buy the FB's valuation of 170 bil either, though the market doesn't ask my opinion & FB is worth 170 bil. I bought it ages ago for 23, and then got wiped due to a margin call for 19, so my judgement maybe influenced by emotions.

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

;D, poor bambam. How many tin foil hats have you gone though this last year? What size do you order?

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

bamccaig said:

They're exploiting you and getting rich in the process.

Meanwhile, I'm using AdBlock. Now who's exploiting who?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

So what's the point of a social network if you can't interact with your friends or family?
What exactly do they gain by knowing who I'm friends with? They're not making money from knowledge- most of their revenue comes from advertising.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Schyfis said:

They're not making money from knowledge- most of their revenue comes from advertising.

They make more money from selling your data and metrics. They aggregate, analyize, categorize and fingerprint you, your friends, and your family, all to get companies to pay more for advertising because they think they can get better results with targeted advertising.

Remember, if the service you are using is free, YOU are the product.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

YOU are the product.

So?

Guess what, you're the product here too. By using a.cc, you are contributing to the exchange thereby providing reason for Matthew our supreme overlord to continue running the site.

It doesn't matter. It's one thing to not use a service like Facebook because you're uncomfortable with their ToS, but to declare these companies as evil is just hilarious.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

So?

Guess what, you're the product here too. By using a.cc, you are contributing to the exchange thereby providing reason for Matthew our supreme overlord to continue running the site.

It doesn't matter. It's one thing to not use a service like Facebook because you're uncomfortable with their ToS, but to declare these companies as evil is just hilarious.

There are some differences between a.cc and facebook. For example, a.cc doesn't ask users to identify their family, friends, ex-schools, universities, etc. a.cc doesn't try to keep a running record of users' interests, activities, or physical location, and it doesn't track users web browsing habits across the rest of the internet.

On the other hand, facebook does all of those things, and facebook collates and cross-references that data, plus the contents of private messages and things like that, and uses the information to manipulate users, and their users' friends and families.

So in my view, allegro.cc and facebook are a long long way apart in terms of the users being the 'product'.

I don't believe facebook are ever deliberately malicious, but I certainly don't think they're doing what they do for the good of their users or society. Facebook is a selfish and profit driven company. Whereas allegro.cc does exist for the good of the community, and is not profit driven.

-----------

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Facebook is a selfish and profit driven company.

Facebook is a business. You may as well stop grocery shopping and only grow your own food. The reason it's so easy for tinfoil hats to bash on Facebook, is because it's so easy to avoid using.

---

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

a.cc doesn't try to keep a running record of users' interests, activities, or physical location, and it doesn't track users web browsing habits across the rest of the internet.

The Google ads on A.cc maybe doing just that. Not like I mind.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Facebook is a business. You may as well stop grocery shopping and only grow your own food. The reason it's so easy for tinfoil hats to bash on Facebook, is because it's so easy to avoid using.

Again, grocery stores don't try to squeeze me to extract all my personal information, and they don't try to stalk me physically or on the internet. (Except possibly if I start using one of those supermarket-run credit cards.)

There's a local grocery store near my house which sells locally grown produce from local farmers, along with other staple food supplies. That store isn't an enormous multi-national business which manipulates customers to expand its business empire and pay truckloads of money to the top-end executives. It's just a local service run by local people. It provides goods to the local community, and allows the employees and local farmers to earn a living. It's completely different to facebook. Not all businesses are evil.

-----------

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Again, grocery stores don't try to squeeze me to extract all my personal information, and they don't try to stalk me physically or on the internet.

That's just it. No one is forcing anyone to use Facebook. The act of not using it doesn't mean it's inherently evil. It just means you don't like it.

---

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

No one is forcing anyone to use Facebook.

Nope. The users force other users. I don't like it, but I'm almost out of choice.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

type568 said:

Nope. The users force other users. I don't like it, but I'm almost out of choice.

Oh my god. It's a freaking website. Entitled much?

And even if you actually were forced to have one, it doesn't force you to fill out a facebook with your actual information.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Kind of it doesn't. Yet on the other hand, the odds are they can trace me good enough even if I don't fill in the real info. The access pattern & contact list should do the job to link between an old account & a new one. Or the account, and some other tool I may be using one day they'll be having access to. Or just.. Some market with my data.

It is quite a philosophical question though, if the FB is a good thing or a bad thing. Generally should they've not made it, somebody else sooner or later would've, with no less functionality.

Well Zuckerberg is the first one, and so he's spying on me. I don't care as long as adblock works. I'll go nuts if I'll be forced to be seeing the ads though. If I happen to be depressed that day, I may just make a little Google research and suicide bomb one of top figures in FB.. Just why not, if they're annoying me, and the whitehouse is too well protected?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

type568 said:

I'll go nuts if I'll be forced to be seeing the ads though.

All of those game requests and "promoted posts" are ads. fyi.

--

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

I agree & disagree. The Facebook actually did a pretty good job with the privacy settings, allowing removal of yourself from most of the lists. This stuff has stopped/almost stopped bothering me since I bothered to lookup FB's settings.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Thats funny, I recently learned that most of my feed is now public even though I used to have it locked down solid. Now I can't even find the settings to lock it back down.

--

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

FB privacy is a totally new concept.

But those 19 BillionBucks were exagerately well spent, almost nobody (except those who can spell fuchsia ) did sync the address book of their mobile with FB, but damn everybody did with Wassup because...well you couldn't do otherwise.

That is a solid wealth of information for the uber-info-gathering company that is Facebook.

FB bought WA just beacuse Google didn't NEED to ;D ;D ;D

Even thou this evening for all my gang Wassup stopped working altogether. :P

>:(

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The high price they paid makes it seem like there were others interested. No company goes into a process like this and says "sure, we'll pay you 19 billion dollars!".

Just a guess, but I suspect its a good one.

--

1   2 

Go to: