Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » One of the saddest days of my life...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
One of the saddest days of my life...
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

That is pretty sad. Though I haven't used WA in quite a few years. Version 3 sucked and while v5 was ok, by then I had moved on.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

I still use winamp with the MMD3 skin, minimised on the top of my screen. Been doing it since win98se.

8-)

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

What's wrong with XMPlay? I've used that for years over WinAmp. Though, it is sad to see the software go, I mean it was awesome back in the days when my 100Mhz PC could barely decode mp2 format files... yes there WAS an mp2 format. Mp3 was too choppy on that PC :P

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Mp3 was too choppy on that PC :P

I had to either use mono, or extract mp3's to waves to run on my 486DX4-100.

I still use Winamp, and have zero complaints. 16 MB of RAM and 0% CPU usage, and can load OGG and FLAC.

In Linux the first thing I did was say "How do I get Winamp on Linux?!" and so I use QMMP which looks almost identical.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Winamp was awesome back in the day. It could play friggin SNES music files. VLC compiles all its codecs in static, i believe. So that makes it hard to support the really niche-y formats.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

m c said:

I still use winamp with the MMD3 skin, minimised on the top of my screen. Been doing it since win98se.

I just downloaded WinAMP and MMD3 for posterity.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I've been using Winamp with the same skin for almost 15 years. Sad news :(

{"name":"608100","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5e806f2d24aff13bbdf06f7304072a05.png","w":280,"h":558,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5e806f2d24aff13bbdf06f7304072a05"}608100

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I've been using Winamp with the same skin for almost 15 years. Sad news

"Yngwie Malmsteen -- I'll See the Light, Tonight"

Rather appropriate since that song is 28 years old. :-/

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I've used Foobar2000 for quite some time now.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I also listen to J. S. Bach, Mozart, Handel, I think they're older :P

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I also listen to J. S. Bach, Mozart, Handel, I think they're older

Then you have to get Lurch to play them on his harpsichord.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

I blame Winamp for introducing skinned interfaces.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Winamp 2/5 skins are concise. Winamp 3 was bloated and no one liked it so they took the best from 2 and 3 and made Winamp 5.

-----sig:

Aikei_c
Member #14,871
January 2013

I don't even use media players except those embedded in browsers.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Back in the Windows era Winamp was one of the first programs I used to install to any fresh copy of Windows. I really liked it a lot. I haven't found any true alternative on Linux, maybe except Amarok/Clementine (with regards to functionality). Anyway, life goes on :)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I used XMMS for bloody ages when I switched to linux from windows. It even supported winamp style themes. You couldn't lose.

After a while xmms was getting kinda old and unsupported, so I eventually switched to Amarok 1. And man I really loved its smart playlists. A lot. Best feature ever.

I had it set up to play a pseudo-random stream of songs based on a couple criteria, 1. it hasn't been played recently, and 2. It's automagically calculated "score" (amarok would keep track of how many times you've listened to it, and if you listened to it all the way through or not).

Basically what I'd get out of that after a while is a non stop non repeating 24-28 hour stretch of my favourite music.

Amarok 2 had some bugs in its new implementation of its smart playlists that made that annoying or impossible to set up properly, but I've sense stopped listening to music much at the computer, since I mostly sit in front of the TV/MediaBox on my laptop. So if I do listen to music, its playing out of my media box and surround sound receiver, rather than my desktop or laptop computers.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I have abandoned Amarok since they moved to KDE4 and switched to Clementine. Mainly because I haven't liked the new interface (and its features) while liking the old interface. XMMS wasn't an alternative to Winamp for me because it lacked the media library functionality.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The winamp I'm familiar with didn't have a media library. And at the time I didn't want one.

Amarok 2 is actually better than Amarok 1, if you can get past the bugs it originally had. I haven't used it in a couple releases at best, so I don't know if the smart playlist features I like to use are fixed yet.

To be honest, there isn't a huge difference between the two players. Amarok 2's biggest change is the middle area that you can put widgets in. Which you can completely hide if you don't like it.

And the actual music list seems like a big change at first, but you can make it look and behave just as it did with Amarok 1. So its really not a huge deal. Even though I actually like some of the new ways to sort and group music using the new playlist.

I only stopped using it for two reasons, 1. I stopped using my desktop for much of anything, and 2. Amarok 2 was pretty buggy at the time, its been a while now though, so I have to assume a bunch of it was fixed.

--

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

RIP Winamp. :(

Been using it before Y2K on windows, most recently with the winamp 2 skin. Sad to see it go.

Does anyone know anything similar for MacOS X?

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

I never used Winamp, it looked too fancy to me... I have been using VLC for year now.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Winamp was my first media player... I really appreciated its varied file support. I stopped using it once I switched from Windows, and these days I use Clementine (because Amarok 2 sucks).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I have been using VLC for year now.

I'm sorry. We all make that mistake once in awhile. :P

I use it for videos but by God, if it works you're lucky, if it doesn't, it's one of the biggest P.O.S.'s to configure and get functional with a terrible UI, unhelpful documentation, and downright elitist forum community. It's also not easy to get special codecs working. And their global hotkeys are both hard to setup (UI) and buggy as hell (won't take effect).

I've had to move back to Media Player Classic numerous times.

-----sig:

1   2 

Go to: