Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » No Greater Joy

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
No Greater Joy
furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

http://www.examiner.com/article/another-couple-found-guilty-of-murder-for-parenting-by-to-train-up-a-child

http://whynottrainachild.com/2010/04/20/quotes-from-ttuac/

So yea... let's talk about parenting. ;D

EDIT:

Quote:

If he continues to show defiance by jerking around and defending himself, or by expressing anger, then she will wait a moment and again lecture him and again spank him. When it is obvious he is totally broken, she will hand him the rag and very calmly say, “Johnny, clean up your mess.” He should very contritely wipe up the water.

This is some demented crap.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Yeah that is pretty demented. I was spanked when I misbehaved growing up. It didn't happen very often (only when I repeatedly and wilfully disobeyed) and I don't really see a problem with that. I don't think children shouldn't be physically punished for accidents or even for not listening the first time they are told to do something.

What this book advocates is kind of mental though. Whipping your children to keep them laying down? Starving them, beating them with PVC tubing ... WTF?

Of course I'm not a parent so what do I know?

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

My brother and I were spanked as children. I consider that acceptable discipline. I distinctly remember when I was about 8 years old my mother had just spanked us for talking and generally making noise instead of going to bed. Being in a goofy state of mind I began laughing as she walked away and she called me on it. I don't remember what she said, but my reply was, "<arrogant laugh>, that didn't hurt."

Her response was something along the lines of, "Do you want me to send your father up here?!"

"NOOOOOOOO!!!!11" :P

Which I think is a lot better than a 3 year old telling his mother to, "fuck off," in Walmart, and her threatening, "You're going to get a time-out!", but that's just me. I've seen time-out in practice (by a child-care professional) and it does not work.

Of course, there's a line between discipline and abuse. If the parent is angry they need to regain their composure first. You can't discipline when you're angry, just like you can't drive angry. In any case, I think that the old adage, "this hurts me more than it hurts you," is probably a good measure of whether you're abusing or disciplining your child. Of course, I'm not a parent, and as the child gets older (especially boys) they will likely be able to take more so it's hard to say whether it needs to hurt them more or not. I suppose the punishment should equal the crime. ;)

I have spanked my nephew once or twice (with my brother's encouragement). He was only 1 1/2 and from his reaction (and his father's) I never got through the diaper. It seems like his parents have since lost the stomach for it though because now they just futilely yell at him (like idiot dog owners that think the individual should understand them when he clearly doesn't), which I think is a shame. In general, I don't consider them the sharpest tools in the shed, but I respect their right as parents. They started out smart... I suspect that the mother (who probably was never spanked herself) is the cause for the sudden change.

In any case, I don't know that I want that responsibility. Especially in this feminized society. I would hope that there is training available for parents that are uncomfortable with spanking for discipline, but in this feminized society we live in there probably isn't... It is practically taboo. Fuuuuck. Which I guess sets the stage up perfectly for freak shows like the OP.

The parents of the OP should be made an example of. I don't care how short their school bus was.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

I've seen time-out in practice (by a child-care professional) and it does not work.

The most important part in child raising I've heard is consistency. If the kid hasn't had that, nothing will work for quite a while till they learn their new boundaries.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

When the consequences for your actions are a minute of boredom you can get away with a lot. You underestimate how big of an asshole a 5 year old boy can be. They're not dumb, and they're not all that harmless. ;) I've seen it first hand. They do not respond to threats of time-out. It's basically not a punishment. You threaten them with time-out and they will blatantly act-out in front of you. Basically, "so what, go ahead!" If they've been spanked before and you threaten to spank them it's, "NOOOOOOOOO, PLEASE, SORRY, SORRY, SORRY!"

This reminds me of when we used to get left with babysitters for a couple of hours before my mom got off of work. Oh the lulz. Locking them out of the house, trying to get away with anything we could. We were boys. They were predominantly teenage girls. They had no hope of controlling us. :D

Short of molesting us. :-X And none of them ever did. >:(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Thing is, you actually have to back it up. and 2 minutes is nothing. Try 2 hours.

You sound like you were a complete dick as a kid...

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Making your child sit in a corner for two hours seems like child abuse to me.

When they get old, they will think that all conflicts are resolved by stealing the other person's iGadget and pointing to a corner. Do you want to raise your child to be a thief? >:(

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thing is, you actually have to back it up. and 2 minutes is nothing. Try 2 hours.

Do you have any idea how long 2 hours is to a 5 year old? That's not discipline. That's "quiet time for mommy." The child cannot associate that time with discipline. That is basically child abuse IMO. It's like with pet owners. If you don't catch them in the act (or they already have it instilled that what they did was wrong and punishment is coming) then you will accomplish nothing regardless of what punishment you give them. The punishment is not associated with the crime in their mind. And if the punishment is not associated with the crime then it doesn't matter what you do to them. It's equivalent with no consequences, with an optional sprinkle of parental selfishness or abuse on top.

You sound like you were a complete dick as a kid...

I was a child. A boy. Seriously, what do you expect? ::)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I really don't get how you think. Doesn't make sense to me.

--

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

We used to get caned and strapped in primary school when I was a child. It didn't stop us from doing things we knew we weren't supposed to though, it just helped us learn how to not get caught.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That seems like a contradiction to me. It seems clear that it made you control your behavior somewhat. You had to take special care to not get caught (and if you were anything like me you failed several times in your attempts). I think that in itself teaches you several crucial things about life. If you're even capable of doing things that you aren't supposed to (and obviously it is possible, though there is a limit to what extent) then the punishment is irrelevant because you don't receive it. You know that if you are caught you will receive a punishment that you definitely don't want. That is a significant improvement over a punishment that doesn't even phase you. We got away with a bunch of stuff that our parents didn't know about. Some of it we told them now that we're grown. It's usually a crap shoot between laughter and disgust. :D I think they're pretty satisfied with their efforts though. Not perfect, but who is? Perhaps a little bit of "getting away with it" is even necessary. I think it's pretty natural.

Append:

I suppose I should note that there is a difference between parents/guardians disciplining you compared with teachers/strangers. For one thing, I imagine it would be hard for a teacher to be "professional" (for lack of a better word) about it. Kids and adolescents can be extremely frustrating. I don't think that it's really their responsibility to deal that discipline. At the same time, I think it's a shame that 99% of parents don't seem to do their job (at least, these days... I imagine it wasn't as bad 20, 30, or 40 years ago...)... Also, even if you do agree with what the teachers did, it would have a negligible effect if the parents/guardians at home didn't follow through.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

I should NOT read this thread and I won't do it further.

But a coomment on that demented shit: furinkan used too gentle terms....how on earth such a book could actually be available to the general public? How on earth would you think of punishing a 4 months old baby?

Nonsense, decades of child rights fighting thrown away...

Damn, there are things written in this very thread that make me sweat cold.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

A parent who hits their child simply does so because they know of no better alternative. Its the easy way out.

I don't find it acceptable. Ever. Not in any form. You are hitting a defenseless child who puts his entire trust in you. He trusts you to tell/show him what he is doing wrong. You can do that the right way or the spank way.

Some parents are such nitwits that they punish their child for behavior they created... Just makes me go red with rage.

As for that link, the above I think for normal "spanking", what is stated there is monstrous.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

I am not a parent, but I do get scientific studies popping up in my news feeds and one that came up earlier this year is that it's now scientifically proven that hitting a child in any way, even just a handful of times in their early years, is enough to cause major learning and behavioural problems for them in their future.

And yet, even when faced with this evidence, the vast majority of parents still believe spanking a child is perfectly OK, to say nothing of what that "To Train up a Child" book advocates.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Abusing children (physically or psychologically) is never acceptable and will only serve to frighten it, it will never teach it values or respect. Thankfully, all forms of violence against children are illegal in Sweden.

That book is truly disgusting, and the fact that it's for sale on sites like amazon makes me lose hope in humanity. But of course it's the parents fault in the end - no book can force you to abuse your children (though that and a good dose of religious zeal will help).

Here's a petition aimed at Amazon regarding this (and other similar books) btw; http://www.change.org/petitions/amazon-refuse-to-carry-books-which-advocate-the-physical-abuse-of-children

I'm sure it's not a solution, or if it will even do anything, but I signed it anyway (it's quite literally the least one can do).

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I think all discipline is child abuse.

Taking away that toy can be so traumatic. Scientist said so. >:(

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

Oh boy that really makes me mad.

Wanting your children to be tough is one thing, but doesnt the person themselves have to achieve it with their own power? You can't force someone to be strong.

"blanket training, where 6month old is hit when they try to crawl off a blanket on the floor" how is that meant to make a child tough? That make them weak and submissive and obedient (aka degenerate).

Oh man so angry right now.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

m c said:

Wanting your children to be tough is one thing, but doesnt the person themselves have to achieve it with their own power? You can't force someone to be strong.

Yeah.. None of that book is about making the kid "tough". It's about making your very own harry potter minus the magic part.

--

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Beating your child is not at all the easy way out, not in the long run.
It's short sighted and very high maintenance to keep that up, and it's no fun unless you're a sadist.

Being kind and reasoning with your child is fun for both parent and child and the lessons are learnt quicker.

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Its not even the beating or not beating. That's a debate that would last forever.

I'm appalled at this...

They advocate beating your child as an infant and saying "No" over and over just to teach your child early on that "No" is a word to be feared.

In another quote, they say that if they resist, you tell them you are going to whip them, and then they clean up their act and do as they are told: beat them anyway. Do not tolerate any resistance (even though this teaches them that they will get beaten for doing as they are told). The way I would (and did) react to situations like these was to be more of an ass. I was going to get beat and bitched at regardless, so fuck it. Kids are not stupid.

If they resist spanking you are supposed to beat them until they don't even flinch any more.

They also advocate starving your children for days at a time (which can cause or exasperate health problems). Hosing them down in the yard and leaving them out there (naked) to dry. In some weather, this could (and did) kill a child.

These people are clearly demented, and I'm sad to say they are American. >:(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I think we are clearly designed to learn from pain. Even if parents never give spankings, the environment clearly does, whether it's touching something hot, falling on something hard, or being stung by something.

However, I think this only really applies after a certain age. I think we're wired to treat a baby with nothing but care, love, affection and patience, and anything else in the early years will cause serious harm. I think any normal person would be instinctively horrified to see a baby being smacked.

So, I think spankings are fine as long as they are not given in anger and they don't risk harming the child, and they only happen when the child is old enough to be concious of their own wrong-doing.

I think I had about 5 proper spankings in my childhood. They were for being really really bad. (e.g. smashing up my first computer a few days after receiving it as birthday present because I was curious about what was inside). I remember them not hurting very much, but crying anyway out of guilt and for the benefit of my dad who didn't have the heart to hit me very hard.

My brothers and I were forever injuring ourselves as kids (I had stitches in my head on 4 separate occasions), breaking limbs, having "stick fights" that ended in serious bruises, getting stung by bees and wasps, bitten by snakes and scorpions, shot by air-guns and sling-shots, burnt by fireworks, petrol bombs and "chlorine" bombs. We had a real childhood, so a few spankings were never an issue. :P

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

There's the opposite side, too.

I don't think that's the opposite side of anything that's been talked about in this thread :P

What that page talks about is pretty sane and level headed. I mean OMG consequences? ;)

I think I had about 5 proper spankings in my childhood. They were for being really really bad. (e.g. smashing up my first computer a few days after receiving it as birthday present because I was curious about what was inside). I remember them not hurting very much, but crying anyway out of guilt and for the benefit of my dad who didn't have the heart to hit me very hard.

My dad did have the heart to do it. He had these heavy leather belts. Folded them up a couple times and went to town. I don't think he did it hard enough to give us a long term bruise, but it sure hurt like hell.

--

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

My dad did have the heart to do it. He had these heavy leather belts. Folded them up a couple times and went to town. I don't think he did it hard enough to give us a long term bruise, but it sure hurt like hell.

Jesus fucking christ man. How do you think that affected your relationship with your parents once you were grown up? I've never been hit by my parents - if I had, I would probably have a fair amount of resentment against them even now.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Jesus fucking christ man. How do you think that affected your relationship with your parents once you were grown up? I've never been hit by my parents - if I had, I would probably have a fair amount of resentment against them even now.

I was scared of him for quite a while.

There's more than just that that could have caused resentment. But to be honest, I don't remember a lot of my early childhood. So I suppose that's a good thing? ;)

I dunno, as I grew up, I realized a lot of things about him, and why he did the things he did. Doesn't make it any better, but I don't hate him or anything.

Actually, what I hate the most, is how he gave up near the end. Mix between diabetes and heart problems, and he just totally gives up on his diet. Ugh.

Though, I suppose if I wanted to dwell on things, I could drum up a lot of anxst and resentment. But it doesn't do me any good to do that. I used to, a lot. All that ever did was further ruin my life.

--

1   2   3 

Go to: