Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Possible to run an Allegro app from Facebook?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Possible to run an Allegro app from Facebook?
Runesabre
Member #7,573
August 2006

I'm curious if it is possible to run an Allegro app as a Facebook app similar to how Unity games work.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I think unity works because it has a browser plugin. Allegro would need one as well.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I'm sure you could somehow do it with macros.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Ionising
Member #14,522
August 2012

Unless I'm missing something key I'd say the answer was no. Allegro is a C library, by definition running it requires binary execution, something not permitted (and very unwise) within a browser sandbox.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

If someone had a lot of time: https://github.com/kripken/emscripten

(It has been used to compile the unreal 3 C++ to html5, so it can run in any browser. Nothing speaks against doing the same for Allegro5, in theory.)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Maybe it would be possible to get Allegro running on Google Chrome's Native Client platform?

billyquith
Member #13,534
September 2011

Allegro is a native C library. This will not work in a browser as their code runs in a sandboxed virtual machine. This gives them some security, otherwise, with an Allegro program you'd have access to the users file system etc and could potentially browse and modify their documents etc.

For each browser there is a different solution to this problem. Chrome has a "native client", which allows you to compile C++ (using a modified GCC), also in a sandboxed environment. IE has ActiveX. etc.

If you want to supply a multi-browser/multi-platform solution you'd have to build your Allegro program using these solutions and distribute them.

An alternative is to look at Stage3D, the new Flash 3D, hardware accelerated solution (free). Or something like Unity (not free).

However, if you want a simple native solution, which a quite portable, and simple, Allegro 5 is a very good library and has everything you need to make fast, full functional games.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Elias said:

If someone had a lot of time: https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki

Heyyy... so that's where Epic Citadel came from.

Go to: