Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » New Project name suggestions

Credits go to Arvidsson, Ben Delacob, Dennis, Dizzy Egg, Elias, Kris Asick, LennyLen, Samuel Henderson, Schyfis, Slartibartfast, Specter Phoenix, and Trent Gamblin for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
New Project name suggestions
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

MondayRSS. ;)

Append:

Rather than making a desktop client, I imagine making a Web-based front end just like Google Reader (but better!) would be a more productive approach. For one thing, you get most desktop environments with relatively little extra effort (seriously, you don't need to care about IE users unless you intend to fund hosting and/or turn a profit with advertising or the like). If you want things to be happily synchronized between devices and locations then you're going to need a server anyway. Plus most RSS content that is consumed involes audio, video, or images. Things that are easily consumed in a Web browser, and are less accessible from outside of them (that's the only downside to newsbeuter: most of my RSS feeds focus on images or video, and the feed itself is useless without being able to visualize these things). It may be worth writing Android and iOS apps, but only if you're popular enough (or insist on having them for yourself; IOW, fuck iOS unless there's a market for it ;)).

I would be willing to participate if you decide you could use help (especially parts that are in Perl).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

MondayRSS.

HAHA. Indeed.

Luckily this is tuesday.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

and the best for last...

IFeed

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

You started the thread yesterday.

{"name":"pic1601056.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/a\/2a9c0407ac9ea84fca4de7d9d087d7b5.jpg","w":385,"h":376,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/a\/2a9c0407ac9ea84fca4de7d9d087d7b5"}pic1601056.jpg

append: it should be said that I started this project last week ;) so not yet a monday project :-X

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

How do we know it wasn't Monday of last week? :P

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Wouldn't Apple tear you a new asshole if you would name it iFeed?

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

They would for anything named i* I think. iAtomss or any variant, though, I don't know. I don't think you can copyright things that way.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I don't think you can copyright things that way.

You can't.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's not copyright. It's trademark. They could try to argue that it's misleading (i.e., it could make people think Apple developed it). If the courts agreed then you might be forced to change your name, but that's probably all (unless you were actually trying to mislead people and misrepresent your project). They already lost a case in Brazil or something where an iPhone product existed before Apple's did so they lost their trademark lawsuit. Therefore, an iPhone in Brazil or whatever is not an Apple iPhone. ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I finally got a reply back from the person that owns feeder.com. They want $750 :o (to be honest, I'm surprised they don't want a lot more)

Not quite willing to pay that much. Especially since I think I like mercurss better :D feeder might be simpler, and easier to remember, but eh, mercurss is more unique. Also just spent $110 on various mercurss domains :-X

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

$750 is cheap for a name like that. (Expensive, of course, if throwing your own money at it for a personal project.)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, like I said, I'm surprised it isn't a lot more.

--

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Moosefeed

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Haha. I like that. I've already decided on mercurss for now though.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

If I liked it more, I don't mind ditching the mercurss domains.

--

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

What about feedr.com? I'm looking for somewhere to move my Google Reader stuff to. I think I'll sit on the fence a while longer to see what shows up, though. But if it's as good as Google Reader, I'll even pay for the convenience.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Most feedr variants are gone.

The main reason I'm working on this is because I'm sick of companies killing off things I use, and I haven't liked the alternatives very much.

I may dedicate more time to this project while I'm out at my mom's place, depends on how much actual work I have to do out there.

append: I'm actually starting to like moosefeed more and more as the night goes on....

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I thought Feedstrom was pretty awesome actually ;D

Feedstrom.com is also available.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Out of curiosity, what's everyone's favorites?

I liked: feeder, Murcurss, and moosefeed :D

I'm also curious as to what kind of features people are looking for. Initial features will be the website, doing pretty standard rss aggregation type stuff. You'll get a tree of folders you can organize your feeds into, and I imagine I'll add "tags" based on the feed's own "categories" tags at some point. After the site works decently I'll add native iOS and Android apps which tie in directly into the site's api, so all devices under your account will sync the same items and states for items.

I don't particularly use anything more than that, so that's what's in my plan for the alpha version. Do many people actually use "favourites", "saved items", or "share" features? I sometimes want to share items to fb or twitter, but not often. They aren't hard to support but I don't particularly think they are a "must have" in the alpha.

What about Google/OpenID/FaceBook/Twitter logins? Will anyone ever use any of those? Initially the service will have its own basic login service, which right now only requires your email, a password, and asks for your name. More may be added in the future.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think Moosefeed is the best one. Feedstrom is pretty good too. Murcurss (or MercuRSS) reminds me of Mercurial. :-X Which is an OK DVCS, but it's still playing catchup with Git, and the devs all think it's superior already... :-X

Append:

I don't usually like to "share", though I did always "+1" things that I enjoyed in Google Reader (albeit, the +1 button in Google Reader was massively buggy, in my experience). I don't think it really mattered much. I was never exposed to feeds based on popularity so I imagine the +1s are arbitrary. If I actually wanted to share something then I would just share the URL myself.

Definitely supporting OpenID is a good thing to have though. :) I hate having to create a new account for every damn site that I use. The credentials inevitably end up being the same on most of them anyway because nobody is going to remember 400 unique usernames and passwords. And using a password manager is insecure and error prone. At least with OpenID if your password is compromised you can change one password and all affected sites are secured again.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I'd like to see a way to make a feed for a site that doesn't have one.
There are a bunch of webcomics I'm following and some have no feed and the rest regularly mess up their feed.

I want reliability.

Something I do not like is having a single big stream of all the new stuff.
I prefer having it like live bookmarks where I can look at each feed individually.
I like going to each site to look at stuff, richer content from fewer sources is my style.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Trezker said:

I'd like to see a way to make a feed for a site that doesn't have one.

That's a bit harder to do :( Pretty much has to be custom for each site, and would break every time they changed something.

Quote:

I want reliability.

That's definitely a goal, if you mean uptime wise.

Quote:

Something I do not like is having a single big stream of all the new stuff.
I prefer having it like live bookmarks where I can look at each feed individually.

I actually use both, so there will be both. A big "all unread" item as well as the option to select individual groups, or individual feeds.

Quote:

I like going to each site to look at stuff, richer content from fewer sources is my style.

Using feeds kind of goes against going to each site...

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

1   2   3 

Go to: