Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Best OS for Home Server

Credits go to Arthur Kalliokoski, bamccaig, furinkan, Neil Walker, and Slartibartfast for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Best OS for Home Server
FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I'll try to be as specific as possible in order to avoid a generic Windows/Linux flamewar (either of them is fine for me).

Considerations to keep in mind:

• I want to use for storage (as in backup) of family photos and videos

• Since all the PCs in the house use Windows I'll need some direct method to interact with the file storage to upload and download files (we have a wireless in the house)

• This Server will not have a screen (at least not normally), so I'll need a way to interact with it remotely for administration purposes

• The server specs are not very good, it's just an old computer lying around... think dual core with 1,2GB of RAM. So something light is really appreciated.

• I'd like to leave it up 24/7, so something robust is needed.

That being said, what would you suggest? :)

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I've been using my old computer for backup, but it's a pain to fire it up and actually transfer the files. I don't want to leave it on all the time due to the electric bill.

I'm looking at external hard drives, costing ~$100 US, or a hard drive enclosure for ~$20 US but then I'd have to buy another hard drive, OTOH, I'd be able to use the drive in a computer if the original computer drive craps out. On the gripping hand, there aren't any hard disk enclosures available locally and I don't have a credit card to buy online.

If you still want to do this, why not just plug some piece-of-crap monitor into the onboard graphics port and turn the monitor off when you're not using it?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I have a Synology NAS. Best purchase I've ever made.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

If all you are using it for is storage, then just put some Ubuntu flavor on there. Go in with nautilus and set a folder to shared. It shares folders with Windows just fine, and it will be much lighter on resources than Windows doing the same thing.

Once you got it set up, just remove the monitor and kill any excess graphical and audio effects that you obviously won't be needing.

EDIT:
Neil, has a point. God made NAS for a reason, but my method takes like 10 minutes after OS install and costs nothing. ;D

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I have a Synology NAS. Best purchase I've ever made.

Hey, how did this get in. I didn't post it.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Neil! Calm down! :o Its just NAS, man! Put the router down! Slowly...

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Both Windows and Linux Operating Systems fit your requirements; With windows you can share your folders and use mstsc to "administer" without a monitor, and with most Linux flavors you can share your folders with Samba and use ssh (optionally with x tunneling) to administer without a monitor.
Both options will require you to reboot occasionally (either for Patch Tuesday or for kernel updates) and shouldn't have trouble running fine between reboots.
That said, with Windows you have to pay for a license and risk catching a virus (so you may want to add installing and updating an anti virus to your administrative chores), and with Linux you may run into problems with compatibility (IIRC the only problem you could expect to encounter is the "translation" between Linux file permissions and Windows file permissions).
If you really can't decide the best option is to try both and to see what fits your needs best. If you have Windows licenses to spare (or don't care about warezing a copy and the associated risks) I'd probably give that a try first since that should be easiest to set up (install as usual, connect to network, update, share folder, allow remote administration and you are done), though otherwise the free option should come first :)
Personally I'd probably go with the Linux option since I don't feel like purchasing/warezing Windows and I think that over the long run I'd probably have less of a headache administrating it, but getting it set up is probably a bit more of a pain (in addition to the steps for Windows you'll also have to install Samba and to get yourself a windows ssh client with X tunneling support), especially if you intend to set up specific permissions to different folders etc.

As for which Windows and which Linux, I'd go with Windows 7 (for being secure, supported by Microsoft and able to run for a month without trouble) and probably Debian (for being easy to use and set up).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I would suggest a Debian stable base system (no desktop). It is intended to be a robust server environment and probably one of the best, if not the best, server Linuxes available. No desktop means no resources wasted on expensive abstraction layers. It's going to be headless anyway so what would you need a desktop for?

Of course, interacting with Windows will be fun to setup. There are Samba server packages available, but I have never configured one so I can't advise you on that. If you haven't done this before then you can expect to require some reading and experimentation before you get it working. If you have a bit of spare time to waste trying then it shouldn't be a problem.

You don't need a Windows SSH client with X tunneling support because again you shouldn't bother with a desktop on the server. It will be wasting resources most of the time. Most Linux administration is done from the command line anyway. You'd find yourself running a GUI just to launch a terminal emulator. :P Regardless, PuTTY should be fine for an SSH client; though you can instead install Cygwin and use openssh instead if you wish.

If you've never used Linux before then it's going to be a big learning curve. Using something like Ubuntu might be easier, though it'll also be more bleeding edge. Not to mention wasteful. I imagine that it should still run fine on those specs though... Still probably leaps and bounds better than Windows.

I would not expect a Windows server to have up times exceeding weeks at a time. You don't really have to reboot Linux normally. You can if you want the latest kernel running (probably a good idea, but not strictly necessary). My server has currently been up for 215 days. :o Good luck achieving that with Windows Server. Of course, I should reboot for the kernel, but it's probably not dire; and it's just a hobby server with no users so I find it hard to justify resetting my uptime. 8-)

For my workstation I have found Windows services not starting up automatically like they should, and upon complaining about it our system administrator remarked, "Now you know what I have to put up with." Windows is just not a reliable server platform (or reliable platform, for that matter :P).

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

bamccaig said:

Of course, interacting with Windows will be fun to setup. There are Samba server packages available, but I have never configured one so I can't advise you on that. If you haven't done this before then you can expect to require some reading and experimentation before you get it working. If you have a bit of spare time to waste trying then it shouldn't be a problem.

Or you can right click the directory in nautilus and click "share", IIRC it will ask you to download samba and automagically configure everything (or maybe you need to apt-get install samba and then right click and choose "share") :)

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Thanks, for all the info.
I think i'll try with some Debian flavour, wish me luck, i'll need it. :P

Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Ping me if you need some help :)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

In your situation I would go for Windows Server Essentials.

You don't deserve my sig.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

His requirements may not be compatible though. single dual core processor with 1-2GB ram, and he wants it to be up 24/7.

;);D8-)

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Ping me if you need some help

Thanks, i'll keep it in mind! :)

jhuuskon said:

In your situation I would go for Windows Server Essentials.

I'm not really sure the hardware would be be able to handle it

Update: my father asked me to connect it to the television screen so that we can watch family movies and photos.
I think this means i actually need some sort of Desktop envoirment, right?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

FMC said:

I think this means i actually need some sort of Desktop envoirment, right?

Or XBMC at the least. It's pretty easy to setup on debian, or windows.

--

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Or XBMC at the least. It's pretty easy to setup on debian, or windows.

Thanks, for the info, seems nice.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Is there a name for desired specifications escalating because of lack of technological knowledge? >_<
Since it's a NAS, you could look into hooking another PC into the TV.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Or even get a dirt cheap streaming box. You can find them for $100 or less these days.

--

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Well, i already have the hardware, no need to buy new stuff :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That box may not be enough to play back some media. And I'm willing to bet it doesn't have digital outputs that your tv can handle. Unless your tv is just as old, then all you get is svideo or composite. :D

--

Go to: