Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Moai v1.6

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Moai v1.6
Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Moai version 1.6 is now available.

Moai is a pixel editor designed to mimic the look and features of Autodesk Animator.

{"name":"moai_sc_03.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8b84499b79f74d0a8a80b4a3d6803b34.png","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8b84499b79f74d0a8a80b4a3d6803b34"}moai_sc_03.png {"name":"moai_12_9_12_a.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/816d27d1026b27e1ae39a129470f5b77.png","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/816d27d1026b27e1ae39a129470f5b77"}moai_12_9_12_a.png
{"name":"moai_12_10_12_d.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/e\/bec13be79d580b8b17244e5acb6a153e.png","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/e\/bec13be79d580b8b17244e5acb6a153e"}moai_12_10_12_d.png {"name":"moai_01_23_13_d_zps42f8d565.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5af3358bf7c3f452edfe83fe8e2516f1.png","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5af3358bf7c3f452edfe83fe8e2516f1"}moai_01_23_13_d_zps42f8d565.png

Version 1.6 introduces the following features:

- ICO file support
- Xform tool - flip/mirror/rotate a stored CEL
- Tint tool - adjust a frame's HSL levels quickly and easily
- Mouse button remapping
- Non-boneheaded save system - brings compatibility with future versions
- A bunch of bug fixes and minor improvements

Download Moai v1.6 (zip)

Please note that this is a Win32 release, and you will need to run the program in a non-write protected directory. Unicode characters are not supported yet.

This version is not compatible with any previous version of Moai. Do not attempt an upgrade. Export your existing frames and start fresh.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Good job, keep it up. One question though, are you planning a Linux distribution?

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Cool beans. One thing I noted (and I don't know if this is just because I was running it in Wine) is that in the file dialog all the paths and files were in caps. If it's not Wine's fault, then it'd be nice to have the cases of filenames preserved for both display and use (you can't navigate to two different directories that only differ in case right now).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

OICW said:

One question though, are you planning a Linux distribution?

I'm seriously considering it. I'd like to get a few more versions under my belt before committing to it. While Moai is feature-complete, there are still a few bugs and improvements that need addressing, as well as a bunch of OS-specific code that I'd like to minimize (I'm working on that now, actually).

So I guess the appropriate answer would be yes, but just not this moment.

SiegeLord said:

One thing I noted (and I don't know if this is just because I was running it in Wine) is that in the file dialog all the paths and files were in caps.

I do believe that's an issue on my end. At the time the font I was using didn't have lower case glyphs, so I pushed the output to all caps. Supposedly the directories & files were left untouched internally, but you know how that goes.

Does it run well under Wine for you? I tried it out in a Virtualbox session of Ubuntu 11 with Wine, and it ran perfectly, if a little sluggish.

-->

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Sirocco said:

Does it run well under Wine for you?

Occasionally it doesn't redraw when you first start it, but aside from that I had no complains in terms of speed or anything. I'm going to try using it for my next game project whenever that may be... it seems like a really nice editor.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

SiegeLord said:

I'm going to try using it for my next game project whenever that may be...

I hope it serves you well. I've got a few people who are using it for their pixel art (that I know of). If you run across anything that's truly awkward or buggy, let me know. This is now my personal pixeling tool, so any improvements that don't push it too far away from its predecessor are worth looking into.

Approximately half of the post-1.0 additions were suggested by users. The rest came from me dog-fooding the project :)

I'm eventually going to do a video series demonstrating the program's various tools. I need to get on that some time this year.

-->

alehbeer
Member #12,996
July 2011

Awesome job! This should be image of the day

Sirocco said:

Does it run well under Wine for you?

Runs great! even better than under XP for me. Under XP the graphics occasionally disassociates from the window (the title,close, minimize etc bar) for a little bit, but after restarting it is always fine. It is probably because of low resources on the old XP machine though.

Any chance it will get an eyedropper tool for outside the application? (for a palette in firefox for example)

Keep it up! I've been following this project for a couple of versions now, and I must say it is quite a useful pixel-ing tool. Can't wait to see 1.7

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

alehbeer said:

Under XP the graphics occasionally disassociates from the window

Hmmm... it shouldn't do that, but I've seen some weird things with XP video drivers. Let me know if that shows up on other machines or operating systems.

Quote:

Any chance it will get an eyedropper tool for outside the application?

Now that you mention it, that's not a bad idea. I wonder what hoops I'd have to jump through to get that working?

-->

alehbeer
Member #12,996
July 2011

Sirocco said:

Now that you mention it, that's not a bad idea. I wonder what hoops I'd have to jump through to get that working?

I'm not sure if The GIMP[1] does it, but I know Mypaint[2] does. That and infinite canvas, where exporting takes the smallest cropped version - so that the user no longer has to care about drawing dimensions before drawing. Mypaint is in python though, so it might give an idea, but you'd have to port/translate anything.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

alehbeer said:

That and infinite canvas, where exporting takes the smallest cropped version - so that the user no longer has to care about drawing dimensions before drawing.

I'm not really sold on the idea for Moai, but it might not be a bad idea to have some mechanism to quickly expand a frame's boundaries. I might add in a hotkey to expand the frame to where your mouse is. Then you could quick crop (frame menu -> resize -> quick crop) to whatever size you wanted when it came time to save.

Something to think about, at the very least.

-->

Go to: