Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » problem with keyboard events (KEY_UP and KEY_LEFT)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
problem with keyboard events (KEY_UP and KEY_LEFT)
zztop2000
Member #14,757
December 2012

Hi, (sorry for my English)
I'm new in this forum and i want to ask you about a strange behaviour.

I'm using Allegro 5.0.8 under Ubuntu 11.04 with Eclipse Indigo.

I made a simple graphic object moved by pressing the arrow keys.
When the keys are released, the object stops.
All the movements works perfectly, but when i move in a particular diagonal direction (upper-left / north-west), after the KEY_UP and KEY_LEFT are released, the object change the direction form upper-left to left, without stopping.

Here the code inside a loop:

#SelectExpand
1 . 2 . 3 . 4while (!terminated) 5 { 6 7 al_wait_for_event(event_queue, &ev); 8 9 if (ev.type == ALLEGRO_EVENT_TIMER) { 10 . 11 <calculate the movement here> 12 . 13 redraw = true; 14 15 } 16 else if (ev.type == ALLEGRO_EVENT_DISPLAY_CLOSE) 17 { 18 terminated = true; 19 } 20 else if (ev.type == ALLEGRO_EVENT_KEY_DOWN) 21 { 22 23 switch (ev.keyboard.keycode) 24 { 25 case ALLEGRO_KEY_UP: 26 key[0] = true; 27 break; 28 case ALLEGRO_KEY_DOWN: 29 key[1] = true; 30 break; 31 case ALLEGRO_KEY_LEFT: 32 key[2] = true; 33 break; 34 case ALLEGRO_KEY_RIGHT: 35 key[3] = true; 36 break; 37 } 38 } 39 else if (ev.type == ALLEGRO_EVENT_KEY_UP) 40 { 41 42 switch (ev.keyboard.keycode) 43 { 44 case ALLEGRO_KEY_UP: 45 key[0] = false; 46 break; 47 case ALLEGRO_KEY_DOWN: 48 key[1] = false; 49 break; 50 case ALLEGRO_KEY_LEFT: 51 key[2] = false; 52 break; 53 case ALLEGRO_KEY_RIGHT: 54 key[3] = false; 55 break; 56 } 57 } 58 if(redraw && al_is_event_queue_empty(event_queue)) 59 { 60 redraw = false; 61 . 62 . 63 . 64 }

The KEY_UP state is correctly updated to FALSE when i release the key but the KEY_LEFT continues to have the TRUE value.

Debugging the application i saw that the "ev.keyboard.keycode" take only the first code (84 - KEY_UP), ignoring the second keycode (82 - KEY_LEFT).
(The second keycode in this case is equal to zero).

In all the other case (upper-right, lower-left, lower-right) the "ev.keyboard.keycode" works correctly taking both the keycodes and setting them to FALSE (obviously, because is a simple int, the second keycode appears after the second call to the function "al_wait_for_event()").

Has anyone encountered this problem?

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

You could try ex_keyboard_events and see if the same thing happens there. It's even possible that this is a limitation of your keyboard, but hopefully it's just a bug in your code.

zztop2000
Member #14,757
December 2012

Thanks for the reply.

I tried with an external keyboard now and it works.

So, this is a hardware problem as you suggest.

Go to: