Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Programmer jokes

Credits go to AMCerasoli, Arthur Kalliokoski, Dizzy Egg, Gideon Weems, gnolam, james_lohr, jmasterx, Karadoc ~~, Neil Roy, Neil Walker, OICW, SiegeLord, Sirocco, and Trent Gamblin for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Programmer jokes
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Courtesy of a colleague:

A mother said to her programmer son, "While you're out, buy some bread."

Her son never came home.

Who else knows some fun programmer jokes?

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

:D I laughed.

A little boy from a poor family dies and goes to heaven--without having ever accomplished his dream of playing a video game. He approaches God about his wish, and God replies:

"There are no video games in heaven, but if a holy and pious programmer dies, I'll see what I can do."

A week passes, and sure enough, a holy and pious programmer dies and comes to heaven. He is more than happy to fulfill the little boy's dream and immediately begins work. After a few days, however, the programmer approaches God about the game's artwork. God replies:

"There are no bitmaps in heaven, but if a holy and pious pixel artist dies, I'll see what I can do."

A month goes by, and sure enough, a holy and pious pixel artist dies. He immediately joins the team. Months later, the programmer and pixel artist approach God about the game's music. God replies:

"There are no MOD files in heaven, but if a holy and pious tracker dies, I'll see what I can do."

This time, a whole year passes--but sure enough, a holy and pious tracker finally dies and joins the team. The three work together day and night and end up with the perfect game--something truly worthy of being made in heaven. They are so thrilled with their work, in fact, that they would like to give everyone in heaven the chance to play their masterpiece. God hears out their request and replies:

"Look... It took a week to get a programmer, a month to get an artist, and a whole year to get a tracker. Do you have any idea how long it'll take to get a PUBLISHER up here??"

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

A byte walks into a bar. The bartender looks at it for a while and asks: "What's wrong?"
"Parity error."
"Ah, I thought you looked a bit off."

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I don't get the bread joke... ???

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Quote:

I don't get the bread joke... ???

It's okay, it is the subtle jokes that slip by the easiest :).

Google is our friend (sometimes):
http://www.devtopics.com/best-programming-jokes/
http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/inspiration/programming-jokes-comics-videos/
GOOGLE IMAGE
http://www.workjoke.com/programmers-jokes.html

*Not checked them all, just googled and copy/pasted.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Does this help?

bool isOut=true;
int bread=0;
while (isOut) {
  bread++;
}

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Turning the joke into code is supposed to help the understanding ??? ? The joke does kind of make no sense as they say programmers never leave their computer/basement so the whole idea of the programmer going out and never coming home sounds even odder to me.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

Specter... The kid interpreted the message as if he was a computer...

while you're out, buy some bread.

There is no break statement like:

while you're out, buy one bread and then come back.

That's is what make us different from computers but a the same time sometimes worst than computers. Our brain has an auto-fill system built-in. But the kid was so used to be programming all day and night that became a compiler...

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

The funniest bit in the thread is not the jokes, but the fact that Specter trolled Miquelfire for not understanding the joke, when Specter didn't understand it either. ;D

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

A wife asks her husband, a computer programmer; “Could you please go to the store for me and buy one carton of milk, and if they have eggs, get 6!”

A short time later the husband comes back with 6 cartons of milk.

The wife asks him, “Why the hell did you buy 6 cartons of milk?”

He replied, “They had eggs.”

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

Moral of BP's joke: Too much programming made the programmer stupid at life

Same goes for Trent's and probably many other ones

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Surely he should have bought seven cartons of milk? Unless of course he's ever written an ambiguous 'else' clause, in which case he would have bought the eggs. :D

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

What happened in the original joke when the guy ran out of money? And where would he put it all?

I suppose I'll get flamed for the oldest of all.

Q: Why was the programmer late for work?
A: When he took his morning shower, he read the instructions on the shampoo, "Lather, rinse, repeat".

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

The funniest bit in the thread is not the jokes, but the fact that Specter trolled Miquelfire for not understanding the joke, when Specter didn't understand it either. ;D

Depends on how you define understanding it. As I pointed out the joke made little sense to me due to what my interpretation of what a programmer was stereotypically thought of which changed the joke to make if odd to me rather than funny. Even after having it explained for the joke it was meant to be it still has no humor to it for me. The others were funny while that just falls a bit short with me.

[REVISION]

A mother said to her programmer son, "While you're out, buy some bread."Her son never came home.

No part of that joke signals you to think of the son as a compiler, instead it makes you think of the programmer stereotype and then it blows the joke completely apart as the stereotype is that we never leave our houses due to always coding.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Gosh darn it, Specter Phoenix, stop making terrible excuses about why you didn't get an obvious joke.

Depends on how you define understanding it.

The usual way. The way you didn't.

Quote:

No part of that joke signals you

It's not the joke, it's you. Frankly, this is a reason why you shouldn't be a programmer, you don't even get programmer jokes!

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

SiegeLord said:

Frankly, this is a reason why you shouldn't be a programmer, you don't even get programmer jokes!

You're assuming I get regular jokes? Forgot about the course in CS degrees where if you fail to get programmer jokes you can't be a programmer.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

<--- feels proud he understood the bread joke

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I only chuckled at the bread joke because I got it; I don't think any other interpretation would have been funny..?

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

The publisher one reminded me of this:

A programmer dies and is sent to hell. A week later Satan meets God and ask him, if they could take the programmer to the heaven. God asks why. Satan replies: "on the first day he slew all the demons with a chainsaw and since then he's been looking for an exit to the next level."

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Yo mama's so fat, the recursive function used to calculate her weight caused a stack overflow >:(

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Most Java programmers live in Atlantis, because it's below C level.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

A mother said to her programmer son, "While you're out, buy some bread."Her son never came home.

;D... it took me a few seconds to figure that one out.

If you still don't get it, think of it as programming code:

while(you_re_out) {
   buy_some_bread();
}

Get it now? ;)

Edit: Oops, I replied to it before I read the other replies, apparently showing code doesn't help. Maybe if I show an example using BASIC? :P

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

{"name":"AT04-04-01.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/7\/d7da6323258a3d603b4efc5580751111.gif","w":450,"h":615,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/7\/d7da6323258a3d603b4efc5580751111"}AT04-04-01.gif

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Matthew Leverton.

hahaha I'm banned aren't I?

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

LMAO, love all the jokes. That Board Chow one had me laughing out loud, done that a few time, now I know what to call it (didn't eat it, but definitely shook a meal out I think! ;D) ;D

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

1   2   3   4 

Go to: