Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Recluse Web Developer?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Recluse Web Developer?
Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Hey all,

I was on a forum for web developers needing help with their sites and I saw a thread with someone asking for help -- someone answered their question already, but the posts were there with a link to the client's site. I got curious and went to check it out.

It was actually a pretty cool site, but the background was really distracting and I coincidentally found a broken link on their site (to their home page from another page). I decided to use the email from the account at the forums to tell the designer/developer. From the domain I can tell this person is an employee of a larger web design firm.

I sent this email two days ago and haven't heard from this person, but somewhere in that time (perhaps promptly after I sent the email) the site was fixed, even according to my unique suggestion for handling the background image)

Even more interesting, I went back to the forum and I can't even find this thread, like they deleted it (and their record of needing free help).

They probably make a lot of money doing this... and don't seem to be in a hurry to thank anyone (not like we're asking for compensation). Just wondering if I could get some opinions on this? I don't really know what questions to ask so I thought I would just describe the situation and see if you guys get any thoughts from it.

Was it unprofessional of me to suggest changes to them? It just bothered me even if the site wasn't mine to have errors like that; I thought it'd be courteous to contact them like that.

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

The guy probably didn't want his boss or his client to find out the he got help from someone. That wouldn't look good for him.

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

My ability to delete/edit out my own old posts on allegro.cc has been revoked :-/

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

That is a strange situation. :-/

However, I don't see the shame in asking communities of programmers/designers for help in commercial works, or for critiques and opinions, if that's what you're implying. I'm on stackoverflow all the time finding solutions to problems I get paid to solve. I wouldn't be able to do my work at all if these types of communities didn't exist [edit: not because I'm completely incompetent, but because I learned everything I know about the Internet from the Internet].

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

Was it unprofessional of me to suggest changes to them? It just bothered me even if the site wasn't mine to have errors like that; I thought it'd be courteous to contact them like that.

Suggesting changes per se is not unworthy of a professional, if you ask me. On the contrary, every true professional gladly accepts all kinds of criticism on their strive to improve themselves.

Not giving any feedback/thanks/whatsoever is not very nice, but that's something you'll have to accept. Best be professional about it and move on :)

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

Derezo said:

However, I don't see the shame in asking communities of programmers/designers for help in commercial works, or for critiques and opinions, if that's what you're implying.

Not in itself, but this woman somehow got her thread deleted (I"m sure she never thanked anyone there, unless it was like a "thanks, can you delete this topic now?" and never responded to me after giving detailed advice that she used. So it's like she's ashamed to acknowledge the fact that she had some help, even if people were willing to help for free.

Forgot to mention:
Not sure it matters for the issue itself but for reference I think it's a woman from her email address (had to switch some pronouns :P)

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Am I the only one that inserted "Brown" at the beginning of the title?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

23: Nope. ;D

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Go to: