Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » wiki down?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
wiki down?
cyberjacob
Member #14,029
February 2012

is the wiki offline? I can't seem to access it.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yes, unfortunately it is. Only temporary. Just fighting with a semi-botched update. Three other VMs on that box work fine, only the www/web vm which the wiki runs on is refusing to start up. I'll hopefully have it fixed tonight.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

If not, can we form a lynch mob? I've always wanted to form one (I'm weird). We'll be the nice lynch mob and take you to dinner where we fatten you up on pizza and pasta ;). Joking aside, I did get a kick out of the timing. I was planning to be productive today because of a thing I read on the wiki:

Quote:

A general piece of advice is to start small. Don't aim to create a complete game at first. Begin with the parts that make up a game, like making things move, responding to user input, etc. The first games you create should be simple, but they don't necessarily have to be clones of Pong or Tetris. Try to think of a fun game mechanic and implement that. When the core gameplay is done, only then should you focus your attention on the details and polishing. A common mistake is to try to create an RPG (or worse, an MMORPG) as your first serous attempt at creating games. If you're not a genius, it's often too hard without the right amount of experience.

That paragraph from the Allegro Vivace page just made something click in me last night.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I was planning to be productive today

So at least from now on you can blame it all on Thomas. "I was going to finally write a game - but the wiki was down that day." :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It's back now :)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Elias said:

So at least from now on you can blame it all on Thomas. "I was going to finally write a game - but the wiki was down that day." :)

No, just was going to do simple beginner things. Making a checklist to make sure I do the normal things (movement, animation, tile mapping, parallax(sp?), and such). Just that paragraph just made something click in me to where I wanted to do small things that can ultimately be combined into a simple game rather than focusing on and stressing myself so bad that I feel overwhelmed on making a full game.

Quote:

It's back now :)

Thanks! :D

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Just that paragraph just made something click in me to where I wanted to do small things that can ultimately be combined into a simple game rather than focusing on and stressing myself so bad that I feel overwhelmed on making a full game.

Yay, the tutorial wasn't in vain! :) Haven't had much time to work on it lately though. And you were kinda right, I didn't see much use in most of the material the original Vivace presented, so most of it is written from scratch - but going top-down starting from the game loop is definitely a good start.

Another tip that might help: motivation is key, especially if you're inexperienced or unsure of your own abilities. Try to implement stuff that gives visual results as fast as possible. They're often the most fun. Don't worry about the code, just write the solution that seems the most obvious. When you've implemented a few things it might be good to go back and see if you can restructure things and tidy up a bit - mostly so it's easier to understand but also because of reusability.

Don't fret too much on "correct code" though, such as design patterns and whatnot. In one-man game projects that is often unnecessary imo.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Don't fret too much on "correct code" though, such as design patterns and whatnot. In one-man game projects that is often unnecessary imo.

Of course it does matter, its called leveraging your workload.

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Pray tell, how much of a leverage is it when you don't really know them too well to begin with? I was referring to how many beginners get obsessed with "perfect code" or the "perfect engine" and in the end accomplish nothing.

Go to: