Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Installing Allegro under Windows 7

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Installing Allegro under Windows 7
Pasmik
Member #13,613
October 2011

Hey everybody, I bought a book about programming a few days ago and now I wanted to install Allegro on my Pc. I followed the instructions but I have a problem with the part when I have to type everything in 'cmd'. My book says I first have to change the directory to the allegro folder and then type
"fix mingw32
make
make install"
but that doesn't work. It says the command fix doesn't exist. The Problem is I haven't worked that often with 'cmd' yet. I also tried to install everything by following the instructions under the docs\build\mingw32.txt file but I don't know what to do because I have a Windows 7 System and I haven't found any Instructions on installing allegro under Windows 7 yet.

So if someone could give me a step-by-step installation instruction I'd be thankful for that.

Thank you

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Pasmik said:

It says the command fix doesn't exist.

Those instructions only hold true for Allegro up to 4.2.x. Later versions use cmake.

Quote:

I have a Windows 7 System and I haven't found any Instructions on installing allegro under Windows 7 yet

You install for a specific compiler, not a version of Windows.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Blizzardguy2000
Member #13,629
October 2011

I too am having similar problems. Im attempting to compile the latest release and I've follow the instructions on the wiki, using mingw. But fix.bat never works. I'm not sure what im missing here...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

The 'latest release' for A4 is 4.4.2, and for A5 it's 5.0.4. Both require cmake to generate build files.

A4.4.2

cd allegro
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
mingw32-make
mingw32-make install

A5.0.4

cd allegro
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
mingw32-make
mingw32-make install

The instructions in my last post were for Allegro 4.2.

Blizzardguy2000
Member #13,629
October 2011

Thanks for the help, but im still running into problems at the step starting cmake. it says cmake is not a recognized command, which kinda makes sense since i just made that dir "build" so it's empty. I tried running that command line at various levels in the allegro dir but with no success. I'm trying to compile A5.0.4 for future reference.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: